U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,503,139 times

Advertisements

Yes, legalization at Federal level would be a disaster as 70 million in chronic pain could feel good, and it would help many live longer. We wouldn't want that, would we?

As for the Gateway Theory, most who smoke pot refuse to hang out with hard drug users.

Unemployment highest ever? No, some would need a part-time job to pay for weed. Legal "marijuana" would create many new jobs, also. Marijuana smokers get sick less than drunks & nicotine addicts.

[quote=Negotiator75;33250528) Legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster.

Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug". We all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone. There is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

Assuming marijuana was legal, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc. Marijuana legalization will affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations. [/quote]
Rate this post positively

Old 01-31-2014, 06:23 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,538,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
To any young person who may read this, remember one simple fact. Marijuana is a vice, and vices should always be indulged in with moderation.

Marijuana won't make you lazy, it won't make you perform poorly in school, and the only way that it will have anything to do with mental illness is if you are already predispositioned to have one.

I'm past 40, and when I look around at the people I knew as a kid, some of the "potheads" are doing better now than the straight kids are. Marijuana has little to do with it. Some were just more highly motivated than others to go out and make something of their lives.

Marijuana will not keep you from getting a good job, unless you're too dumb to figure out how to pass a urinalysis test. Marijuana won't ruin your marriage, unless you use it without any control. Marijuana won't keep you from having a nice house, or a nice car.

Anyone over the age of 18 who wishes to indulge in marijuana should have the right to do so. Anyone who tries to fill your head with lies and propaganda such as that written in the post I quoted should receive a polite nod, a chuckle, and a view of the back of your head as you walk away.
Good post, JR, but let's be careful not to run too far in the wrong direction here. For decades, kids have been lied to about drugs and alcohol. People have a tendency to blow things out of proportion, in order to place that exclamation point at the end of their statement! "BeLIEVE this sh*t!" When parents lie to their kids....or when ANYone lies to you, you're less likely to believe the next thing that comes out of their mouths.

Here's what I told MY kids about drugs.

Look at mine and your dad's family members. There seems to be a predisposition for addiction, on both sides. Know this....because of that predisposition, YOU could possibly become addicted. I'm not just talking about drugs, I'm talking about anything that you allow to control YOU, rather than being controlled BY you.

Look around you. You might be the person who takes a drink...and OMG, it just FITS. You fall so deeply in love with that feeling, that you never want to live without it, ever again. Pot and other drugs are no different than alcohol, in that regard. Once a drug, whether it be alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal drugs, becomes your main focus, the most important thing in your life, you have allowed it to OWN you.

Be aware...that using ANY drug, including alcohol, is potentially addictive. It's like playing Russian Roulette. You might never want to use it again. You might only play with it occasionally. It might become the most important thing in your life. Know this...believe this. Here are some examples!

I gave them examples. They watched people. They believe their mother, because she only told them the truth.

The truth: Marijuana CAN affect your life. Some people get loopy as heck on weed. Some people become severely lethargic, some become hyperfocused, some don't talk, some won't shut up, some giggle, some get very sentimental, some get incredibly creative and some get downright stupid or flat-out paranoid. It affects everyone differently and is dose dependent!

Marijuana CAN keep you from getting a job. A majority of the jobs out there, regardless of where you live MAY require a drug test (for insurance purposes). If you don't have drugs in your system, you won't have anything to worry about...always best to not have anything to worry about. No worky, no $$ to buy your weed, or anything else, for that matter.

Gainfully employed people who use weed, are not potheads. They are people who are capable of regulating their dosage, because they're using it as a "therapeutic" medicine or a recreational, feel-good substance. Just as with alcohol, if it's causing problems in your life/work/relationships/family, you have a problem and you need to distance yourself from it ASAP...before it's too late.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM

72,123 posts, read 38,473,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
ROFL. No, I talk like someone who has been around the block a few times and figured out that people like you, who demonize a plant using lies and propaganda, have no idea what they are talking about. I'm not pushing drugs on anyone, I'm simply stating that each person has their own choice to make in life.
You could have said it's their choice, but you chose to push it by listing a long list talking points designed to sound like pot is completely harmless. That's called "pushing it", or "selling the idea". You are the one spreading propaganda, not me.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM

13,620 posts, read 11,542,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Today's marijuana has been selectively breed for 20+ years indoors under lights.

How could marijuana selectively breed (for potency) for 20+ years, not be better than marijuana from 20 years ago ??
it shows your ignorant about pot, did you smoke any Acapulco gold in the late 70s early 80s.? did you smoke panama red in the same time period?? did you smoke some Afghanistan black in the same time period??

I thought not!!!! you just spew garbage propaganda that has been spoon fed to you for 76 years

Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 AM

2,296 posts, read 2,654,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
it shows your ignorant about pot, did you smoke any Acapulco gold in the late 70s early 80s.? did you smoke panama red in the same time period?? did you smoke some Afghanistan black in the same time period??

I thought not!!!! you just spew garbage propaganda that has been spoon fed to you for 76 years
That Thai was pretty good BITD. Increasing strength just means you use less.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Yes, legalization at Federal level would be a disaster as 70 million in chronic pain could feel good, and it would help many live longer. We wouldn't want that, would we?

As for the Gateway Theory, most who smoke pot refuse to hang out with hard drug users.

Unemployment highest ever? No, some would need a part-time job to pay for weed. Legal "marijuana" would create many new jobs, also. Marijuana smokers get sick less than drunks & nicotine addicts.
Truth! .....as in AMEN! Most of the "smokers" I've known, throughout my entire life could/can not STAND "drunks", "junkies" and "tweakers", and wouldn't allow them on their property or in their homes. They most assuredly, would not willingly associate with them, unless they were out of weed and had to go to one's house to get some more.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 8,458,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Good post, JR, but let's be careful not to run too far in the wrong direction here. For decades, kids have been lied to about drugs and alcohol. People have a tendency to blow things out of proportion, in order to place that exclamation point at the end of their statement! "BeLIEVE this sh*t!" When parents lie to their kids....or when ANYone lies to you, you're less likely to believe the next thing that comes out of their mouths.

Here's what I told MY kids about drugs.

Look at mine and your dad's family members. There seems to be a predisposition for addiction, on both sides. Know this....because of that predisposition, YOU could possibly become addicted. I'm not just talking about drugs, I'm talking about anything that you allow to control YOU, rather than being controlled BY you.

Look around you. You might be the person who takes a drink...and OMG, it just FITS. You fall so deeply in love with that feeling, that you never want to live without it, ever again. Pot and other drugs are no different than alcohol, in that regard. Once a drug, whether it be alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal drugs, becomes your main focus, the most important thing in your life, you have allowed it to OWN you.

Be aware...that using ANY drug, including alcohol, is potentially addictive. It's like playing Russian Roulette. You might never want to use it again. You might only play with it occasionally. It might become the most important thing in your life. Know this...believe this. Here are some examples!

I gave them examples. They watched people. They believe their mother, because she only told them the truth.

The truth: Marijuana CAN affect your life. Some people get loopy as heck on weed. Some people become severely lethargic, some become hyperfocused, some don't talk, some won't shut up, some giggle, some get very sentimental, some get incredibly creative and some get downright stupid or flat-out paranoid. It affects everyone differently and is dose dependent!

Marijuana CAN keep you from getting a job. A majority of the jobs out there, regardless of where you live MAY require a drug test (for insurance purposes). If you don't have drugs in your system, you won't have anything to worry about...always best to not have anything to worry about. No worky, no $$ to buy your weed, or anything else, for that matter.

Gainfully employed people who use weed, are not potheads. They are people who are capable of regulating their dosage, because they're using it as a "therapeutic" medicine or a recreational, feel-good substance. Just as with alcohol, if it's causing problems in your life/work/relationships/family, you have a problem and you need to distance yourself from it ASAP...before it's too late.
Good advice. My parents approached the topic in the same way. There was no "drugs are evil" speech in my house, merely thoughtful conversations about the possible consequences of using any foreign substance. I plan to have similar conversations with my children when they reach the appropriate age.

Can marijuana be harmful? Yes, if you allow it to be. Is marijuana inherently harmful? No, and it never has been. Should we continue with the idiocy of "Just Say No"? Not if we want our children to listen to us. Most teens and young adults are much smarter than we give them credit for. It isn't hard to find both sides of the argument on the internet, and they will do so no matter what their parents and/or authority figures tell them. Considering that marijuana is easier for young adults to get their hands on than alcohol or cigarettes, giving them the information they need in order to make wise choices is far better than simply saying "don't do this because I said so."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You could have said it's their choice, but you chose to push it by listing a long list talking points designed to sound like pot is completely harmless. That's called "pushing it", or "selling the idea". You are the one spreading propaganda, not me.
I responded to the propaganda post which chad3 made and then deleted (apparently even he realized that it sounded foolish). In that response, I posted the facts as I've found them to be. Marijuana use didn't keep me from having a good job, it didn't keep me from owning a house or a car, and it didn't keep me from marrying a woman who I stay up late at night and wake up early in the morning to spend as much time as possible with.

As I stated in the post which you call propaganda, marijuana use - just like alcohol, tobacco, or any other vice - should be approached on a personal level and with moderation. If you choose to use it, use it in moderation. If you don't choose to use it, that's fine by me as well. However, you not choosing to use it doesn't give you the right to spread myths, lies, and theories that have already been debunked numerous times in order to keep other people from using it. To steal a phrase from the pro-choice crowd; it's my body, so it's my choice.

It isn't up to you, the federal government, or anyone else to force people to live by your questionable morality. The majority of Americans have started to realize this fact. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but marijuana legalization isn't that far off at this point. And quite frankly, there's not much you can do about it. You can continue to spread misinformation in the hopes that enough people will believe it and change their minds, but the truth about marijuana is easily found. Your "marijuana is evil" platform is built on a shaky foundation which is eroding as we speak.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
That Thai was pretty good BITD. Increasing strength just means you use less.
Sorry, but these two got me to grinning. After reading cruxan's post, I was thinking, "What about Thai!? Hahaha..... It's kind of like asking a room full of people, "So? Have any of you taken mushrooms?"......then pan the room, watching for who can't wipe the grins off their faces. Hm, which is similar to asking a room full of people, "Anyone drop acid when they were younger?" ..pan for the grins.

Honestly, you're spot on with that second sentence as well. Hello? If your old "pain reliever" delivered only 10 mg of medication, and you were taking 2 pills, you picked up your scrip at the drug store and the bottle contains 10 mg of medication PER pill...you're a fool to take 2 pills, aren't you? It's the same principal IMHO, with weed. There is a therapeutic dose and there is a coma-dose. Some people don't "coma-dose" ANY substance. Everything in moderation....still as true today as it was when my momma was giving me advice.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 AM

11,956 posts, read 11,098,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wait a minute... did someone go back in time and alter history? I didn't realize that Nixon launched the Vietnam war. All these years, I was certain it was began quite a few years before Nixon took office in 1969.
Nope. The longest and costliest War in American history is the War on "Drugs" (which is really a War on pot considering over 60% of the DEA budget is spent on the plant and hard drug users are a tiny fraction of the population that really don't need specific legislation).

But funny you mention the Vietnam War, because one of the main reasons for launching the war against pot was to curb Anti-Vietnam War protestors-people I definitely would've been hanging around and supporting if I were from that time. It's funny pot users always seem to be aware of what is going on while people that hate it are usually just blind sheep waiting to be told what to do next by whoever is in power.

In 1972 a Congressionally mandated Commission on US Drug Policy told the truth about marijuana. The National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse — chaired by former Pennsylvania Governor Raymond P. Shafer — recommended that Congress amend federal law so that the use and possession of cannabis would no longer be a criminal offense. State legislatures, the Commission added, should do likewise.

What did our crook of a President do? He shredded the scientific findings of the report that proved marijuana to be a harmless herb and launched the longest and costliest war in our nation's history.

“We need, and I use the word ‘all out war,’ on all fronts.”
-NIXON

40 Years Ago Today: Congress Was Told To Tell The Truth About Marijuana; They Didn’t | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-31-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM

11,956 posts, read 11,098,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Should we legalize? Absolutely not. The negative impact on the nation as whole would be unacceptable. The law makers must always ask this question: "What kind of impact would this law have on the nation as whole. Does it promote the welfare of the nation, or does it take away from it". Clearly legalization would reduce the well being of the nation as whole, and therefore it cannot be allowed to happen.

Drug Decriminalization In Holland Has Increased Crime and Addiction

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%.
I know you're smarter than this Finn. I know somewhere in you is some common sense that wouldn't allow you to post some propaganda piece from 1995. There is even a disclosure at the top of the article with a link for current information.

"A Note to Readers: If you want some current information, direct from Europe, to compare with Mr. Solomon's statements here, take a look at DrugText Europe. "

But don't you think decriminalization along with allowing the current underground drug market to operate as is won't do much to change the culture? Why would anything change if it simply became decriminalized in one country but still illegal everywhere else and still not legal to grow or use just "decriminalized"? It doesn't take away power from drug cartels or dealers as long as we keep their products outlawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.