Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most important?
A school classroom for gifted kids no matter their race or ethnicity 51 91.07%
A classroom for kids designed to reflect the look of the community 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Why don't they just come out and establish racial and gender quotas and keep the system.

Sure, it's stupid but progressives seem to be okay with quotas and it's better than no program at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A "gifted" class for kindergartners? It seems stupid to me that they had one in the first place.
My son was chosen by his teachers to be tested for the G&T program in kindergarden.

Seemed reasonable to my wife and me and we okayed it.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
^^^THIS

Come on, they're 5.
So the billions spent on early development and pre-K programs is a waste, also? Come on, they're 3 and 4.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why would it start at kindergarten. 2nd or 3 rd grade is more appropriate. No need to segregate kids in their first year of school. That doesn't bode we for the future. School is one of the few places where you hopefully get to interact with all types of people. Why train it segregate before you've even experienced school.

*fyi I was in gifted classes from elementary on....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When i was in school GEP(Gifted Education program) meant that for 2 hours each day, i was pulled from class(K-3) and had to challenge my mind with puzzles and games, reports and other things. I didnt and still do not see the point in it.

now, in intermediate school(4th and 5ht grades), it made more sense as we actually did projects worth talking about. We even competed with the other schools in the county and states. same goes for middle school, except the competitions became more diverse.

in high school, it got boring again, at this point it just meant you took AP and college prep courses... which anyone could take, except because you were in GEP, you were automatically enrolled in them instead of choosing the courses yourself like other kids.
When my son started school in 1988 there was no programs for gifted students. However, his teacher and I decided that since he was beyond kindergarten reading and math level he should go to a first grade class for those two subjects.
We did the same thing in first grade.
He hated it from day one! Poor little guy thought he was being punished. When it was time to play in the sandbox in kindergarten, he was sent to another class to do math or reading... his friends got to play and he had to work, what a bummer.
I talked to his second grade teacher (who knew him well already) and we decided NOT to continue sending him up a grade. She just challenged him more in her class and that was his best year of school ever.

Of course, he only went to school until the middle of the 6th grade. I home schooled him from them on. The principal, the vice-principal, the school nurse, counselors, and I all had a nice meeting. My son was a major behavioral problem, but he was super smart. They flat out told me that they have no place in the school system to put him. I asked them if home schooling would be an option and I never saw a room full of people glow like they did. (After only a year in that school they wanted rid of him!) I took him home right then and there and we never looked back.
Then, I unschooled him.
And, no, he does not have his GED (only because we could not afford it at the time) and right now there is no need for him to get it. He still continues to learn.

I wish they had had a separate program for gifted students way back then. Yes, even in kindergarten.

Actually, I don't like separating kids by age, I think schools should separate by ability. If a 5 year old fits better with a bunch of 8 year olds, so be it, they should be with them.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
When my son started school in 1988 there was no programs for gifted students. However, his teacher and I decided that since he was beyond kindergarten reading and math level he should go to a first grade class for those two subjects.
We did the same thing in first grade.
He hated it from day one! Poor little guy thought he was being punished. When it was time to play in the sandbox in kindergarten, he was sent to another class to do math or reading... his friends got to play and he had to work, what a bummer.
I talked to his second grade teacher (who knew him well already) and we decided NOT to continue sending him up a grade. She just challenged him more in her class and that was his best year of school ever.

Of course, he only went to school until the middle of the 6th grade. I home schooled him from them on. The principal, the vice-principal, the school nurse, counselors, and I all had a nice meeting. My son was a major behavioral problem, but he was super smart. They flat out told me that they have no place in the school system to put him. I asked them if home schooling would be an option and I never saw a room full of people glow like they did. (After only a year in that school they wanted rid of him!) I took him home right then and there and we never looked back.
Then, I unschooled him.
And, no, he does not have his GED (only because we could not afford it at the time) and right now there is no need for him to get it. He still continues to learn.

I wish they had had a separate program for gifted students way back then. Yes, even in kindergarten.

Actually, I don't like separating kids by age, I think schools should separate by ability. If a 5 year old fits better with a bunch of 8 year olds, so be it, they should be with them.
In my uneducated opinion. I would like to have seen an "evaluation" preformed as to the likely link between behavioral problems and trauma of not being with one's own peer group. Going through one's early life hating school is not a good indication of success.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
School[early childhood education] is much more than book learning. It is socialization. Learning things at the same time as others in your group...not just cirriculum, but all the new phases in a child's development.

Being smarter than all the other kids is not the goal of early childhood education. For some parents, and some of the posters on this thread, it is the only focus.

Leave education to the trained educators or remove your child and go it on your own.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:07 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Looks to me like New Yorkers are getting what they voted for.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
A few points:
  • No program should be labeled "gifted". It implies the other children do not have gifts. I'm sure they can come up with better wording: Program A & B, for example.
  • A "gifted" class should not be canceled due to lack of diversity. If your special needs class has lack of diversity, would it be canceled also? The program should be used based on the needs/capabilities of the school and students, not for social purposes.
  • Having children of different ages in the same class is not such a bad idea. It was done in the days of one-room schoolhouses.
  • Schools' primary purpose should be for children to learn as much as they are able, not to socially program them according to random ideologies.
  • It seems to me that having smart kids hang out with other smart kids prepares them more for their likely social environment in adulthood than having them hang out with those who will likely choose less cerebral career fields.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 AM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Diversity won over intelligence.

Hallmarks of liberalism.
What intelligence? Can they even tie their own shoes?

Buncha bougie white folk sending their kids to elitist schools. No. They can learn with all the rest it'd be good for em. School is just as much socialization as it is academics you know...especially when the people involved still wet the bed..

Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It seems to be a silly reason to cancel the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies