Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You still believe that crap??!?!?
Note how ACA is now revenue neutral, but a couple of years ago it was supposed to generate ONE TRILLION dollar surplus to the federal government.

Where did that trillion dollars go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The only thing I can say is you are another poorly informed voter...
Speaking of...

Quote:
Have you ever once looked at ... E-Healthinsurance.com?
That's where my girlfriend and I bought our policies.

Quote:
Report back once you do and tell us how much you would pay based on your family income, zip code, state, family members.
My girlfriend and I live together, with her two adult sons. JUST myself and my girlfriend's premiums together total nearly (< $100 difference) what we pay in rent for a 4 bedroom house in a very desirable neighborhood (the mayor and several celebrities live in our area).

Remember, that's just the two of us. If she had included her sons on her plan, the cost would have nearly doubled.

Speaking of poorly informed voters...

Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So 20% for your healthcare
an averag of 31% for housing

thats over 51% of your income, and thats BEFORE taxes..

What disposable income is left?

Dont worry, government can increase your food stamps

First, I'm not on food stamps.

Actually I stand corrected.. the guidelines say that health should be 5% of your budget..

LMFAO.. umm.. yeah.. okay...

THe law was established, however, to sbusidize so that healthcare doesn't take up more than 20% of a personse income.. so that if it did, you would be subsidized the difference..

But lets be real here.. health insurance costs.. and thereby treatment for health related issues, far surpassed the 5% mark .. well a long time ago..

As such, in today's reality.. 20% is reasonable... and indeed it leaves little for discretionary spending. Especially with today's stagnating wages for the majority of us.

This is why we really need a one payer system.. but that's for another discussion

Last edited by Proud2beAMom; 01-31-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm confused - I have the same sucky insurance I had before ACA only now it cost me $10 more per pay.

Is the pay increase due to ACA? Or just the regular hosing I got every year?
Hmm. So you're paying $120 MORE each year than you were before.

Where's that $2,500 SAVINGS that was promised to you?

And if your claim is true, you're one of the very, very lucky ones that isn't being raped by this law.

I know you think you're being very clever while supporting this disaster with your anecdote, but you're actually supporting the opposition by admitting that you're paying more (how much more is irrelevant - you were supposed to be paying less) than you used to.

ETA: Just realized that you said "$10 per pay", not per month. So you're actually paying somewhere around $250 more per year, depending on your payroll frequency.

This just keeps getting better. Next you'll probably tell us that your rent went up, but that's ok because the money's being used to build a tree house that you'll never actually use...

Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
The only thing I can say is you are another poorly informed voter/Republican who has no concept of buying insurance every October-November. Have you ever once looked at the Kaiser Calculator or E-Healthinsurance.com? Report back once you do and tell us how much you would pay based on your family income, zip code, state, family members.
Please do not try to detract from your erroneous statements by commanding me to go do your homework.

I already know exactly what "would" happen with ACA b/c I have researched what it is going to cost me to purchase insurance.

And A. I do not qualify for a subsidy and B. comparing what I can get with ACA to my present very robust policy (which runs out, btw, TODAY 1/31/2014) coverage has changed in every possible way . . . including a higher deductible, previously covered charges that will not longer be covered AT ALL, 70% coverage on procedures and inpatient hospital stays that were 80-90 % covered on my previous policy, higher copays, etc etc.

You want to know the price? For a crappy policy? My cost went from $328 for a really good policy to $672. If I had wanted a more robust policy, it would have cost me over $800 a month!!!!

And no. I don't get a subsidy.

Please do presume to tell me I don't know what I am talking about in regard to my own life. If you have had a different experience, bravo for you. That doesn't mean a hill of beans in re: to ME and millions of others who are getting screwed while you are mocking us - and treating us like we are ignorant or lying.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Saying all old people are Republican is no more silly than saying all Democrats 'suck off' the taxpayers.

Well, seeing as how I NEVER SAID THAT ALL DEMS SUCK OFF THE TAXPAYER . . . why don't you just start with an apology for throwing BS around instead of trying to justify your BS by attacking ME?

Maybe that crap works with other children, but I am most likely old enough to be your momma. Heck, I may be old enough to be your momma's momma.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Through the marketplace they would most likely qualify for a subsidy. They didn't through employer plans. {snip}
Then it is not another ACA "win" is it, if taxpayers need to pay for their premiums, where they once used to be able to pay for their own.

This would be like saying it was another ACA "win" to have their work hours reduced from 35 hours a week to 29 hours, because now they qualify for Food Stamps.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Note how ACA is now revenue neutral, but a couple of years ago it was supposed to generate ONE TRILLION dollar surplus to the federal government.

Where did that trillion dollars go?
Maybe it is going to be used to bail out the insurance companies form the damage ObamaCare has done to the industry?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Then it is not another ACA "win" is it, if taxpayers need to pay for their premiums, where they once used to be able to pay for their own.

This would be like saying it was another ACA "win" to have their work hours reduced from 35 hours a week to 29 hours, because now they qualify for Food Stamps.
They didn't pay for their own.. their EMPLOYER paid for it.. and they contributed a portion of their income toward their plan...

A wise employer would give their employees more pay and let them make the choice for themselves about buying health care..

Notice I said GIVE THEM MORE PAY.. not just keep their pay the same and loose the benefits. And in my example my friend was going to do just that.. give them an increase in pay comparable to what she had paid in preimiums last year and drop the employer health insurance, because her employees can get a better deal on the exchange.

THis is great for small business ultimately.. because it moves us away from employer sponsored healtchare..

Old 01-31-2014, 04:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
They didn't pay for their own.. their EMPLOYER paid for it.. and they contributed a portion of their income toward their plan...

A wise employer would give their employees more pay and let them make the choice for themselves about buying health care..

Notice I said GIVE THEM MORE PAY.. not just keep their pay the same and loose the benefits. And in my example my friend was going to do just that.. give them an increase in pay comparable to what she had paid in preimiums last year and drop the employer health insurance, because her employees can get a better deal on the exchange.

THis is great for small business ultimately.. because it moves us away from employer sponsored healtchare..
If their employer paid for it, then the employee did, by way of exchanging labor, for benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies