Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is a such thing as better too, a flat screen tv is better than a tube tv which means as people buy more it makes it easier for them to lower the cost by manufacturing more, thus making them even more attractive. I send text messages because they are instant, not because they are cheaper than a letter.
You send text because it's cheaper than sending a person to deliver the message in the time you want!!!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
By your argument minimum wage workers have done NOTHING to deserve a raise since they were making $.25/hr

Your argument is foolish.
I didn't say they have done nothing. I merely asked what they have done.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Manufacturing jobs weren't minimum wage jobs, and actually many of the jobs that have been lost to technology were anything but minimum wage jobs.
Manufacturing has a ton of repetitive, rote tasks. Tailor made for robotics and investment in technology. And if the jobs they kill are even higher paying than minimum...so much the better for the profit margin and this thing called progress. If 10 workers can create 1,000 widgets per week, and one robot can make 100,000 widgets in the same week, the robot is hired and the workers can collect their last paycheck on the way to retraining for a more evolved function.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I didn't say they have done nothing. I merely asked what they have done.
No, answer the question-why did they "deserve" any of the other increases.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
If productivity is going up, therefore their pay should go up with that productivity. Did your boss give you a raise after saying lifeexplorer, we have noticed that you have managed to double your productivity, therefore we are giving you a dollar raise?
We had this discussion before. Productivity does not equal to value. Productivity going up means jack squat if you aren't producing value.

We can't have the same discussion over and over again.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Actually this is a good topic-what has management and ceo done that made them deserve raises from 20-30X the average employees to over 200 or 300?

Nothing. They're not doing anything more then the employees have.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No, answer the question-why did they "deserve" any of the other increases.
That's child play. You are the one saying they need an increase, and then tell us what more value that they have produced to justify the increase.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
We had this discussion before. Productivity does not equal to value. Productivity going up means jack squat if you aren't producing value.

We can't have the same discussion over and over again.
Productivity is often used in place of the word value.

The "value" of the things employees make has gone up consistently, additionally the total value created by employees has incresed regularly.

Your argument is that it should in fact all go towards the ceo's....who aren't doing anything new compared to ceo's of the past....and yet you dont seem to understand that at all.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's child play. You are the one saying they need an increase, and then tell us what more value that they have produced to justify the increase.
Sure-the value they create has increased exponentially, and the skills needed are often much higher then they were before. In point of fact they are getting less and less for what they work for, the argument is being made to reset it again to a point in 1968, fair given the fact that for a decade compensation on the low end has been lower then average.

Seriously dude, what sort of america do you want to live in? Where the vast majority of us are in poverty or not? While we are creating ever larger amounts of value, should all the results of the work go to a few at the top?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
By your argument minimum wage workers have done NOTHING to deserve a raise since they were making $.25/hr

Your argument is foolish.
They haven't done anything. Since the minimum wage was first declared back when FDR was finding a new way every week to prolong the Great Depression and exacerbate its negatives, the work of those at the un/low skilled ranks has not measurably improved, but both employers and government alike have enacted cost of living increases to keep pace with inflation.

I will get a cost of living increase this year. It's in my contract. It actually says it has a minimum and anything above that is based on performance. OK, that means the portion that is minimum has nothing whatsoever to do with my increasing my value to the company. I get that portion simply because time has gone by. I know this kind of wording offends you, but it's a fact. When a government arbitrarily raises a wage floor, it has nothing to do with increased value, and everything to do with tyranny. If the employer chooses to raise compensations as a group or to each individual separately, that might be value based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies