Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Only basing it on when it started, that super random date the I cherry picked to make an argument, if it was tied to inflation (like you want) that is what people would making now.
1968 is the peak, minimum wage pay has been downhill since.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nevada and Oregon both do.....and oregon has the second highest minimum wage in the country.

Somehow we haven't burned, fallen over, and slid into the sea....
Oregon also has the lowest percentage of people working minimum wage I believe.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oregon also has the lowest percentage of people working minimum wage I believe.
Possibly, but that can be deceptive. Almost everyone pays a dime or two above minimum. I know a lot of people who will celebrate if minimum gets raised.

Then you have the high tech that we've been attracting.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
1968 is the peak, minimum wage pay has been downhill since.
Maybe it should be pegged to the lowest time period instead of the highest, since we are just starting willy nilly.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe it should be pegged to the lowest time period instead of the highest, since we are just starting willy nilly.
Or maybe logic and common sense says that it should be pegged to the highest since productivity (value wise) has continued to improve?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Or maybe logic and common sense says that it should be pegged to the highest since productivity (value wise) has continued to improve?
Productivity of machines/technology has increased, not the people in low skill jobs. When the robots get a minimum wage you can make that argument.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
productivity is measured as revenue per employee.
That's what goes into scheduling software.
Revenue is down less employees are scheduled.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
I keep seeing the argument that minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. So I researched it some. I've come to the decision that they are in fact wrong. In fact it was meant to be more then poverty wages....at a time when only one person was working in a family!

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country”
FDR

So I was worried...what if it was out of context? So I found what it was part of, heres a more complete qoute:

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living."

PRESIDENTIAL STATEMENT ON N.I.R.A., 6/16/33
So why even bother to go to school, or learn to read and write, since any damn job pays a living wage, and then government will kick in some free stuff on top of that. Tack on free healthcare, free living wage retirement, and there you go, no incentive to do anything at all.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Has productivity for minimum wage workers improved? It has tremendously for office workers, but how much faster are min wage workers pushing a broom, flipping burgers, stocking shelves etc faster than they did in the 60's?

This article: Debunking another argument for raising the minimum wage | Kyle Wingfield | www.ajc.com claims that wages have increased 5-6x the rate of productivity for minimum wage workers.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I have provided you with a valid reason and you chose to ignore it, so that really isn't my problem because I really don't care what you do and do not believe.
A bleeding heart is never a valid reason.

Quote:
The 80's was a bad decade for minimum wage seeing that it stayed $3.35 for about 9 years before getting a a $0.45 raise. Hardly what I would call keeping up with inflation.
Quote:

Minimum wage has not been keeping up with inflation, and it doesn't matter how much inflation went up during those years seeing inflation is higher today than it was in the late 70s.
Quote:
And if it kept up with inflation since 1968 it would be almost $11/hr now.
Quote:
Minimum wage in 1978 was $2.65/hr, if minimum wage kept up with inflation from that point it would be $9.47/hr today.
Quote:
For the same reason it has been raised before, to keep up with inflation.
You are like a freaking broken record.

What kind of "inflation?"

Interest Inflation?
Demand-pull Inflation?
Real Inflation?
Wage Inflation?
Cost-push Inflation?

What is the purpose of Economics?

What Law, Theory or Corollary says any wages must be tied to "inflation" (snicker)?

Quote:
Nothing I say will ever explain to you why minimum wage should be tied to inflation because you don't think there is any reason it should be, which is something I can't help you with.
That's sophistry at its best.

- You don't make any sense.
- You've got a persecution complex.
- Damn right.
- You admit it!
- I admit I'm being persecuted. By them!
- Who specifically is "them"?
- All of them! Who do you think?
- No idea!
- Then how do you know they aren't?
- That's sheer what-do-you-call-it.
- Sophistry.

The truth is your Obamabot Talking Points E-Mails haven't given you the answer yet, which is why you cannot explain.

What dance are you going to do now?...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies