Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Productivity of machines/technology has increased, not the people in low skill jobs. When the robots get a minimum wage you can make that argument.
Do you have anything that backs up this claim or is this just your opinion?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So why even bother to go to school, or learn to read and write, since any damn job pays a living wage, and then government will kick in some free stuff on top of that. Tack on free healthcare, free living wage retirement, and there you go, no incentive to do anything at all.
So if "any damn job pays a living wage" does that mean you would never take a job that pays well above the minimum living wage? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I guess we disagree on which era we should look at for minimum wage adjustments.
That is because you cannot objectively define it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont and Washington all have their minimum wage tied to inflation increases.
Quote:

Ohio's New Minimum Wage Rate Will Cause Continued Job Loss Amongst Vulnerable Groups

Legislators Past Effort to Index the Minimum Wage Causing Extreme Job Loss in Bad Economy

The negative effects of this ever-rising wage can be seen in Ohio's employment data. Teen unemployment, an indicator for the least skilled and most vulnerable, has grown 30% since 2006, 10 percentage points higher than states which don't index their minimum wage.

According to research from the University of California at Irvine, minimum wage hikes unambiguously reduce employment of those with the fewest skills. These negative effects are concentrated on the most vulnerable employees, particularly young minorities and high school dropouts. For every 10 percent increase in the minimum wage, estimates are that employment falls 8.5 percent for vulnerable groups.

Ohio's New Minimum Wage Rate Will Cause Continued Job Loss Amongst Vulnerable Groups - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Yeah.....that's good....it's working out so well for Ohioans....employers fleeing left and right.

And you all want to know the funniest thing?

It was predicted....

Quote:
The Effects of the Proposed Ohio Minimum Wage Increase David A. Macpherson - Florida State University • Published on March 01, 2006

The study concludes that the mandate increase would result in a loss of almost 12,000 jobs and impose a $308 million hit on the Ohio economy. Most of the economic cost—$202.6 million—stems from increased labor costs for employers. A significant portion, however—$105.9 million—is the result of lost income for the almost 12,000 employees who will lose their jobs. More than half of the job losses fall on those under 25 and nearly one-third on those earning less than $25,000, adding cruel irony to the consequences.

Employment Policies Institute | The Effects of the Proposed Ohio Minimum Wage Increase

Your bleeding heart is killing jobs....

Mircea

Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think the house is going to fight too hard against increasing minimum wage.
Why would they, it's not there money. If I could get rich giving other people's money away I would.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Has productivity for minimum wage workers improved? It has tremendously for office workers, but how much faster are min wage workers pushing a broom, flipping burgers, stocking shelves etc faster than they did in the 60's?

This article: Debunking another argument for raising the minimum wage | Kyle Wingfield | www.ajc.com claims that wages have increased 5-6x the rate of productivity for minimum wage workers.
LOL. Really? thats your argument back? That we shouldnt pay people the baseline minimum wage because....?

What sort of world EXACTLY do you want to live in? So in your world....if I follow the logic presented....

minimum wage should be what? $1.50?

And we should subsidize the rest of that income with welfare and food stamps?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM

804 posts, read 618,287 times
An accommodating minimum wage has also a psychological and sociological value.
I work with the homeless through the soup kitchen and it is kind of sad that for many of these people there are no perspectives, you simply can't help them. Even if they get a job, and it will be a minimum wage manual labor job, they will not make enough to cover the cost of housing and transportation, and without that they can't hold a job. It's a vicious circle resulting from the fact that our minimum wage is embarrassingly low.
Take a look: $7.25 x 40 ( and in many cases its hard to get full 40 hour week) comes down to; $290 a week or $1,160 a month for housing, food, transportation, clothing and occasional medical and dental expenses. Now, how do you explain that to a homeless guy that this is what he has to try for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Really? thats your argument back? That we shouldnt pay people the baseline minimum wage because....?

What sort of world EXACTLY do you want to live in? So in your world....if I follow the logic presented....

minimum wage should be what? $1.50?

And we should subsidize the rest of that income with welfare and food stamps?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We had a homeless camp in our city for a few weeks, and I ran into some of the people at the transit center. These are not city street/alley people, they have good jobs, making well over minimum wage. Some of them I spoke to are making $20/hour in construction. The problem is saving enough for first/last month rent and not having landlord references because many owned their home and lost it in 2008-2009. In our state the minimum wage is $9.32, one of the highest, but even if it were raised to $15 it won't be a "living" wage in an area with high cost of living and high demand for homes.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM

No, they tie it to inflation. The only difference is that minimum wage is lower for those below age of 23.
Nevertheless, the minimum wage is tied to inflation and adjusted accordingly not once but twice a year. If I were you I'd work on my reading comprehension skills lol

Btw. The Dutch don't have the per hourly minimum wage but weekly so if you worked 30 hours you gonna get more per hour compared to someone who worked 40 hrs. The weekly minimum wage for anybody over 23 is currently €336.05, that's $454.24 a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I took one country..the Netherlands.
They do not tie their min wage to inflation.
They tie minimum wage to AGE.

I'm not going through the rest of your list but I suspect no one ties their wages to inflation.

Minimum wage in the Netherlands rises once again | Dutch News
The minimum wage in the Netherlands rises on January 1 and July 1 each year. It depends on one's age, and gets progressively higher from age 15 to 22, then remains the same for everyone aged 23 or older.

Last edited by risotto11; 02-04-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Productivity of machines/technology has increased, not the people in low skill jobs. When the robots get a minimum wage you can make that argument.

No. There is no productivity in context of machines, only humans lol
And yes, productivity of all humans has vastly improved in the past 100 years, mostly because of the use of said machines. And low skill people use machines as well, even if it is just an electronic cash register.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
No. There is no productivity in context of machines, only humans lol
And yes, productivity of all humans has vastly improved in the past 100 years, mostly because of the use of said machines. And low skill people use machines as well, even if it is just an electronic cash register.
I work in a giant cubicle farm. Late at night the janitors come speeding down the aisle in these riding vacuum cleaners. No joke. They do it two lanes at a time, and race each other to the end of the cube sections. They're pretty fast too.

I stay inside my cube-its safer then running the mad max aisle. They often play music, I want to hear ride of the valkyries next time they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies