Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Are you suppose to get paid large sums of money loading trucks, sorting boxes and knocking on people's doors?
It's actually very hard work. And requires a fair bit of skill to do efficiently.And a minimum wage(or near it) is nowhere near the proper compensation.

Just to give you an idea. UPS workers make between 50-70k a year depending on how long you've been with the company. They have a union though.

FedEX has no union and thus they hire independent contractors who hire cheap labor to drive for their Home Delivery division. And like I said, immigrants will do the job for peanuts. That's how they get away with it.

Another good reason to have a higher minimum wage. Without it, wages get suppressed by cheap immigrant labor.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
I am glad somebody brought it up. So many old-timers are basing their opinions on memories from the time before millions of American jobs simply moved to China.
Craigslist? Lets all go and take a look whats there. 95% of scams and the remainder fills up before you have a chance to inquire. I believe it was much easier for people to find jobs 30 or 20 years ago than it is now and I don't believe this is a matter of fiscal policy or even the recession but structural changes in employment as a result of offshoring. Those changes are permanent.
I don't know if you all "conservatives" here realize that besides food most of what we buy nowadays is NOT made in America. You don't think that fact has a huge impact on job market and quality of available jobs?
the off shoring of jobs by the globalist liberals and their overbearing regulations is what killed the middleclass

you like poverty...keep pushing the globalist liberal policies

Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
It's actually very hard work. And requires a fair bit of skill to do efficiently.And a minimum wage(or near it) is nowhere near the proper compensation.

Just to give you an idea. UPS workers make between 50-70k a year depending on how long you've been with the company. They have a union though.

FedEX has no union and thus they hire independent contractors who hire cheap labor to drive for their Home Delivery division. And like I said, immigrants will do the job for peanuts. That's how they get away with it.

Another good reason to have a higher minimum wage. Without it, wages get suppressed by cheap immigrant labor.
actually driving a tractor trailer does require skill...and in almost every state a CDL, which is 5 times the cost of a regular license

average fed ex salary is 40k
average ups salary is 58k

Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the off shoring of jobs by the globalist liberals and their overbearing regulations is what killed the middleclass

you like poverty...keep pushing the globalist liberal policies
Meh, not buying that overbearing regulations are a huge driver. sometimes yes, but mostly no.

The globalist stuff though.....yeah thats been a bad thing. I dont defend that. Not even remotely. Its the worst thing Clinton did. (although the news he may have done a decent looking one instead of just monica may reform him from his second worst thing)

Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually driving a tractor trailer does require skill...and in almost every state a CDL, which is 5 times the cost of a regular license

average fed ex salary is 74k
average ups salary is 67k
where did I say it doesn't? I didn't even address driving a tractor trailer. The guy I was replying to suggested that FedEx wasn't hard work.

I'm pretty sure the avg Fedex salary you cited doesn't include its FedEX Ground or Home Delivery division. Those drivers make peanuts.

Edit: Ok a quick google search and I see where you got those numbers. The numbers you cited are for Account Executives.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/06...ich-pays-best/

Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM

804 posts, read 618,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Why don't you email them if you are so interested.

Needless to say, I made my point, many jobs are available.

No. You only proved that there are many job postings on craigslist. How many of them actual jobs, from my experience just a few with hundreds of applicants. Even if all of the craigslist jobs were real the number still pales in comparison with the number of those looking for a job.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That's great, I am glad you volunteer, I do as well, everyone should if they can.

Nevertheless, this doesn't change anything. Jobs are available, they are not always great or what we want, but they are there. If people only had jobs that they liked hardly anyone would work. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the crapy job knowing it is a building block to something better.

Correct. We have a great center for the homeless that I've volunteered at that also assists in readying the homeless to transition to work, and living on their own.

Are these dream jobs? To most, no, but long journies begin with the first, small steps.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM

804 posts, read 618,751 times
Quote:

Absolutely!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:

I loaded trucks with UPS when I was 18 (along with sorting but never delivery). I know exactly what it takes to load trucks and sort and no it's not a skilled labor although it is hard work. I was in the union and the pay was (if I recall) $8.25/hr for 4 hour shifts. You could do doubles resulting in 8 hrs.

Anyways, it wasn't a technical job that required any skills other than the ability to use a scanner, build a wall and read a label.

And by the way the average salary you listed would be correct for UPS for delivery and account executives. Good luck coming in on the front end and getting a delivery job though at UPS. There was a 20 year waiting list on that. Of course that was 16 years ago.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Absolutely!
The answer is to just not allow low skill legal/illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies