Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing the argument that minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. So I researched it some. I've come to the decision that they are in fact wrong. In fact it was meant to be more then poverty wages....at a time when only one person was working in a family!

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country”
FDR

So I was worried...what if it was out of context? So I found what it was part of, heres a more complete qoute:

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living."

http://newdeal.feri.org/speeches/1933d.htm

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I keep seeing the argument that minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage. So I researched it some. I've come to the decision that they are in fact wrong. In fact it was meant to be more then poverty wages....at a time when only one person was working in a family!

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country”
FDR

So I was worried...what if it was out of context? So I found what it was part of, heres a more complete qoute:

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living."

PRESIDENTIAL STATEMENT ON N.I.R.A., 6/16/33
You are connecting dots that are not connected. The minimum wage was never meant to be a wage high enough to live on.

Encouraging business to pay people "wages of decent living" is not in any way connected to a federal minimum wage.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are connecting dots that are not connected. The minimum wage was never meant to be a wage high enough to live on.

Encouraging business to pay people "wages of decent living" is not in any way connected to a federal minimum wage.
How is that not connected? FDR was president when the minimum wage was enacted, these are his statements.

Or am I missing something? Did he later state otherwise, or did others when it was enacted?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
No it wasn't.

$1.40 an hour, $1.65 an hour was never a living wage even back in the 60's or 70's.

That's what we teens made in our summer jobs, same as today.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No it wasn't.

$1.40 an hour, $1.65 an hour was never a living wage even back in the 60's or 70's.

That's what we teens made in our summer jobs, same as today.
1938, and it was $.25/hr (a tad over $4 today).

That would argue it wasnt that livable, but the statements made by people would also indicate the intent was that it be so, at the same time they were removing children from the workforce, and setting workweek hours.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
I cannot wait till the dems get a "living wage" established. I really want to have all my needs taken care of from a job at mcdonalds, I could really go for a low stress job that does not require much in the way of critical thinking skills or talent.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
OP, Why not tie minimum wage to FDR standards of living? Homes (median per the government) were several hundred sq feet smaller, with MORE occupants per home, outhouses were common, lack of electricity, lack of heat, and lack of any entertainment, as well as lack of personal transportation were the norm.

Rodent infested tenaments were also the norm.

How about restoring all that stuff, too?

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
FDR
Yep. That was exactly what FDR said, and meant.

And he was as completely wrong, as he was about a number of other things.

The mere fact that he believed it was true, didn't make it true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I cannot wait till the dems get a "living wage" established. I really want to have all my needs taken care of from a job at mcdonalds, I could really go for a low stress job that does not require much in the way of critical thinking skills or talent.
LOL.....I think that depends on your definition of "living wage"

Go for it, tell me how low stress mcdonalds is. I worked at burger king as a kid, it wasn't low stress at all. And a "living wage" is pretty sucky, if you want a living wage have fun! I think you'd find you miss your extras.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
FDR had no business dictating wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.