Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it was said that these kids don't fall into that category. They are not kids whose families are eligible for the free lunch program. They are kids who parents have the means to pay but for some reason(s), didn't.

If Daddy blew his paycheck at the track or Mom decided to buy those $1200 Dior boots, it is not the responsibility of the taxpayers to come to the rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,549 times
SUX for the kids, but mostly for having retarded parents that can't even understand a letter from the school informing them the lunch money run out.
If that was my parent, I'd be frickin pissed

Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Oh ok, either way they still should get fed. Fruit, vegetable, cheese sandwich something. Things like that are usually left out of articles to demonize someone. I don't like the food getting tossed but little Timmy comes home with a tummy ache and the district gets blamed for it so I don't blame them for tossing the food.
I agree they should still get fed. As far as tossing the food, doesn't it make sense to address the deficit in the account BEFORE the kid gets his or her food and gets to the register and then the food gets snatched back and thrown away? This is 2014. That information about the lunch accounts exists in a database, and a report can be run and addressed before the kid gets on line for food.

It doesn't sound like anyone's doing much thinking at that district.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If Daddy blew his paycheck at the track or Mom decided to buy those $1200 Dior boots, it is not the responsibility of the taxpayers to come to the rescue.
No, it isn't, and I don't think anyone says it is. But it's just as low for adults, especially those ostensibly smart enough to be teaching, to in effect say to children, "neh, neh, neh, neh, your parents didn't hold up their responsibility so we're going to humiliate and hurt YOU in hopes of getting THEM to change." It's just effin creepy.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,062 times
Quote:
Of course, that's not the point. The point is that if they have to throw the food away anyway why not let the kids eat it?

Kids who need food and don't get it in the same building with food being thrown in the trash is just wrong, no matter how you slice it.
Can't rep you so will agree with you here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Most schools had to change that when the USDA changed their level of responsibility, saying it wasn't enough to offer the "right" but they also had to make sure the kids had all the required foods on their tray. They can check that box by saying they are checking the trays as the child pays.

What most people don't realize is amount of money some districts are looking at in unpaid lunches. According to a poster on another thread this school district had over $50,000 in unpaid lunches which led to this policy:

http://www.willingboroschools.org/cm...an%20Meals.pdf

In one of the articles I read they gave the example of a school system where the amount owed was already over $40,000 - and it's just January.

Yes, they should have stopped them prior to getting the food, but I get why they might have strongly felt they needed to stop this hemorrhaging on their finances. Also, keep in mind, it was not an educator who made that decision, but a food services manager.
I totally got that from the article and understand it is a major drain on the school system. However, this line from the article, "But even with this money, food and labor is very expensive. Students still need to pay their lunch bill," said Cruz.", ticks me off to no end.

Food and labor are expensive? Then why did they let the workers make the food, only to throw it away? In my eyes this just compounded the problem. Not only does the school still NOT HAVE the money owed from parents, but they just wasted ALL that labor and food just to prove a silly point.

To give the children the food and then just toss it before their eyes is just plain wrong, stupid and the very height of wastefulness seen throughout this country. People in the United States go hungry every day and we have people just tossing good food in the trash to prove a point.

Quote:
I agree they should still get fed. As far as tossing the food, doesn't it make sense to address the deficit in the account BEFORE the kid gets his or her food and gets to the register and then the food gets snatched back and thrown away? This is 2014. That information about the lunch accounts exists in a database, and a report can be run and addressed before the kid gets on line for food.

It doesn't sound like anyone's doing much thinking at that district.
Exactly! How hard can it be for someone to check the database once a day?

Oldhag1 said that it is USDA rule that says a student pays after getting their lunch because "Nanny Fed" is watching to make sure all those yummy veggies (that are going straight into the trash because they really taste like mushy yuck!) are on those neat little trays. Well, how about the kids pay first and then they can still place "Nanny Fed" at the end of the line to make sure everyone has the required items (and send them back through the line until the little buggers get it right); in this way all is covered and no child is humiliated and no food and labor is wasted.

Better yet, let the child choose what they WANT to eat so there is not as much food waste. Offer more choices and make foods kids will eat. (Some of what I see on lunch trays does not even look appealing.)

Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
and the conservative way is starving children.. too bad for you...

Yet.. at the same time a conservative doesn't want to give the parent the right to choose even IF they have the baby when they get pregnant.

they care so much about the fetus.. but are willing to allow children in schools to starve because the parents made a mistake or a bad choice....

granted..the parents screwed up.. parents should be reprimanded.. the children shouldn't suffer for that...
Who said "the conservative way". I could say "its the liberal way not to pay their bills".

Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
School in Salt Lake serves then trashes the lunches of kids with lunch debts.

School throws away lunches of students in debt - Hot Topics

That's wasteful and cruel.

I read about that yesterday. I agree 100%. It's also stupid.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM

577 posts, read 435,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Who said "the conservative way". I could say "its the liberal way not to pay their bills".
And it's the conservatives way to advocate for not pay a living wage, while simultaneously cutting food stamps and help to the poor.

Oh.. and then starting a thread on these boards chastising the President for encouraging people to go to school so that they can GET a higher paying jobs.. as the conservatives answer is "well let them get a better job"..but lets get upset when somoene suggests a way for them to actually have a chance to just that.

It's also the conservative way to assume that mommy and daddy blew their paycheck on something like designer shoes (as another poster insinuated) rather than acknowledge the fact that working families in this country are struggling, that wages are stagnating, that many have lost jobs they can't get back.. and the only things left are low paying minimum wage jobs !

Maybe there is a bigger problem other than a parents irresponsiblity at play here.. considering it happened to 40 kids. It's the conservatives way to come to the defense of the heartless adminstrator who denied kids food to supposedly teach them a lesson without first considering the circumstances surrounding the situtaiton for the kids invovled..

See.. I think they, the parents, need to pay their bills.. but first I'd be concerned with WHY they didn't or couldn't before I rushed to judgement.. the difference between a liberal and a conservative.. and then I would exact measures on the parents.. NOT the child.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
And it's the conservatives way to advocate for not pay a living wage, while simultaneously cutting food stamps and help to the poor.

Oh.. and then starting a thread on these boards chastising the President for encouraging people to go to school so that they can GET a higher paying jobs.. as the conservatives answer is "well let them get a better job"..but lets get upset when somoene suggests a way for them to actually have a chance to just that.

It's also the conservative way to assume that mommy and daddy blew their paycheck on something like designer shoes (as another poster insinuated) rather than acknowledge the fact that working families in this country are struggling, that wages are stagnating, that many have lost jobs they can't get back.. and the only things left are low paying minimum wage jobs !

Maybe there is a bigger problem other than a parents irresponsiblity at play here.. considering it happened to 40 kids. It's the conservatives way to come to the defense of the heartless adminstrator who denied kids food to supposedly teach them a lesson without first considering the circumstances surrounding the situtaiton for the kids invovled..

See.. I think they, the parents, need to pay their bills.. but first I'd be concerned with WHY they didn't or couldn't before I rushed to judgement.. the difference between a liberal and a conservative.. and then I would exact measures on the parents.. NOT the child.
The thing is, free and reduced lunch are available for struggling families. The families who did not pay must have been in the category of being able to pay. Reduced lunch is way cheaper then packing a lunch.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

Oldhag1 said that it is USDA rule that says a student pays after getting their lunch because "Nanny Fed" is watching to make sure all those yummy veggies (that are going straight into the trash because they really taste like mushy yuck!) are on those neat little trays. Well, how about the kids pay first and then they can still place "Nanny Fed" at the end of the line to make sure everyone has the required items (and send them back through the line until the little buggers get it right); in this way all is covered and no child is humiliated and no food and labor is wasted.
USDA rules are rules. Schools can lose money if they don't follow the rules.

I posted earlier that my son preferred the sack lunches they give kids that run out of money.
He loved PBJ sandwiches and apples and got himself a milk.
I had no issue with it and to me was worth the $1.50.

If he were in K-5 today he would not be allowed to eat that PBJ sack lunch due to USDA rules.
The rules are stupid but schools are government entities and they must follow them.

Kids that hate apples still get that apple plopped on their tray even when they say they don't want it.
Kids that don't drink milk still get that carton plopped on their tray.

And it gets thrown out untouched and unopened by them at the end of lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies