Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or no?
Yes, she's a convicted murderer and should do the time 65 26.10%
No, the US should ignore Italy's request 184 73.90%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
In Italy a case has to pass through the three grades of courts, and this is automatic, the Court of Appeal has the power to send the case back, whilst the Final Court the Court of Cessation (Third Grade), which is the Court of Last Resort makes the final verdict.

This is the Italian system and if you judge the system to constitute 'Double Jeopardy' then you have real problems in terms of future extradition between the two countries.
That may be but I am just saying that in the US double jeopardy is a big constitutional issue and I am certain an extradition treaty wouldn't be able to overcome it. The question though is does it apply.

There are several big issues I think you have to consider. From what I gather Italian appeals courts are nothing like US appeals courts. So a big question would be how do you analogize them to something like a US court and how do you analogize their actions to something like US appeals courts actions or US trial court actions?

That is really unclear and why I am so uncertain. It is going to be anyone's guess as to how a US court will look at this and try to make comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That may be but I am just saying that in the US double jeopardy is a big constitutional issue and I am certain an extradition treaty wouldn't be able to overcome it. The question though is does it apply.

There are several big issues I think you have to consider. From what I gather Italian appeals courts are nothing like US appeals courts. So a big question would be how do you analogize them to something like a US court and how do you analogize their actions to something like US appeals courts actions or US trial court actions?

That is really unclear and why I am so uncertain. It is going to be anyone's guess as to how a US court will look at this and try to make comparisons.
What I am saying is if the US uses 'Double Jeopardy' in relation to how normal criminal cases are carried out in the Italian courts it sets a judicial precedent and means that extradition will become very difficult or even impossible between the two countries.

Furthermore if the way trials are carried out in Italy does constitute 'Double Jeopardy' then surely it was unconstitutional to sign an extradition agreement in relation to such a criminal system in the first place.

As for 'Double Jeopardy' it was taken from English Law, which has now been repealed but which we had for over 800 years, from the French Norman Conquest, when we based it upon the French peremptory plea of autrefois acquit or autrefois convict (autrefois means "in the past" in French).

Double Jeopardy was scrapped in the UK in 2005 after a successful campaign led by murder victim Julie Hogg's mother Ann Ming.

William Dunlop had been acquitted of the 1989 murder of his former girlfriend Julie Hogg, but later confessed his guilt to a prison officer while serving time for assault, thinking that he could not be retried for the same crime. Cleveland Police reopened the case after the law changed and Dunlop pleaded guilty to murder.

The new law allows new evidence to be presented and has stopped those who have been tried unsuccessfully from later thinking they are immune to prosecution and have walked away from murder, or indeed boasting or bragging or writing books or articles with impunity.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-05-2014 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
What I am saying is if the US uses 'Double Jeopardy' in relation to how normal criminal cases are carried out in the Italian courts it sets a judicial precedent and means that extradition will become very difficult or even impossible between the two countries.

Furthermore if the way trials are carried out in Italy does constitute 'Double Jeopardy' then surely it was unconstitutional to sign an extradition agreement in relation to such a criminal system in the first place.

As for 'Double Jeopardy' it was taken from English Law, which has now been repealed but which we had for over 800 years, from the French Norman Conquest, when we based it upon the French peremptory plea of autrefois acquit or autrefois convict (autrefois means "in the past" in French).
That may be true for England but the US has had an independent judicial system for over 200 years and it has gone in a different direction and double jeopardy is enshrined in the fifth amendment. It is pretty serious and has a whole lot of US Constitutional case law attached to it.

Basically, I am not saying how it comes out, I am just saying the systems are so different that it is possible for this to be a large issue. Basically the Italian court needs to rule first and then, if necessary the US Courts get there go and we won't find out, until and if, all is said and done.

I just think there are a lot of ways a US court could potentially see this, but if it is found our Constitution makes extradition difficult in some cases that will be a problem, but probably one for diplomats and negotiators and not Knox.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Double Jeopardy was scrapped in the UK in 2005 after a successful campaign led by murder victim Julie Hogg's mother Ann Ming.

William Dunlop had been acquitted of the 1989 murder of his former girlfriend Julie Hogg, but later confessed his guilt to a prison officer while serving time for assault, thinking that he could not be retried for the same crime. Cleveland Police reopened the case after the law changed and Dunlop pleaded guilty to murder.
That is pretty intense, no double jeopardy or ex post facto protections, please tell me they don't use attainder over there.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
The more ive read about this case, the more I think she had something to do with it. If she ends up going back there legally, I dont think id be bothered one bit. She is not as innocent as she seems. She changed her story too many times, and even falsely claimed a person who clearly didnt do it, had something to do with it. She is a bad evil woman imo.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That may be true for England but the US has had an independent judicial system for over 200 years and it has gone in a different direction and double jeopardy is enshrined in the fifth amendment. It is pretty serious and has a whole lot of US Constitutional case law attached to it.

Basically, I am not saying how it comes out, I am just saying the systems are so different that it is possible for this to be a large issue. Basically the Italian court needs to rule first and then, if necessary the US Courts get there go and we won't find out, until and if, all is said and done.

I just think there are a lot of ways a US court could potentially see this, but if it is found our Constitution makes extradition difficult in some cases that will be a problem, but probably one for diplomats and negotiators and not Knox.
Then again Egbert it is enshrined in Italian Law that a foreign power can't just take some one off the streets of Milan, take them to one of their airbases and then fly them to Egypt where they are tortured.

BBC News - Q&A: Abu Omar rendition

BBC News - Ex-CIA chief seeks Italy pardon for Egypt rendition

Whilst I should imagine if Italian Military Aircraft exercising in the US, hit a cable car at a Ski Resort because they were flying far too low, the US would want those responsible to be tried in a US Court.

Cavalese cable car disaster (1998) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cable car pilot not guilty of killings - News - The Independent

In terms of the Meredith Kercher case, many Italians have been upset and angered at the way their judicial system has been portrayed by the US Media.

Amanda Knox is a convicted killer: the decision is (almost) final| Amanda Knox News | The Week UK

Indeed if I was the Italians I might be thinking, why not take a leaf out of the French book and make future extradition of our citizens to the US very difficult indeed. Which might not be a good thing given that the US Mafia still has close links to Italy, and Italy has helped the US and other nations in terms of terrorist extradition in the past.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That is pretty intense, no double jeopardy or ex post facto protections, please tell me they don't use attainder over there.
I hardly think attainder is relevant these days, and we adhere to the European Convention on Human Rights, which cover 47 nations including Italy and over 820 million people.

Whilst in terms of your constitution and ex post facto protections such as 'Due Process', tell that to those still t Guantanamo Bay in Cuba or try talking about the Constitution to all those Americans spied on by the NSA on a daily basis.

European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

European Court of Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The more ive read about this case, the more I think she had something to do with it. If she ends up going back there legally, I dont think id be bothered one bit. She is not as innocent as she seems. She changed her story too many times, and even falsely claimed a person who clearly didnt do it, had something to do with it. She is a bad evil woman imo.
I agree, I feel the same the more I examine the case in detail.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why are the libbies so bound and determined to defend this girl, and insist that she not be held accountable for her crimes? Is it just because she's a clueless college-age bimbo that liked to screw everything in sight? They say she that they don't want her held accountable according to the laws of the country she committed the act, because she's 'Murican.

Yet it was many of the very same posters that said a man who declared that he had an antique single-shot shotgun to Mexican immigration should be subject to years in prison because he "broke their laws and should have known better". MEXICO CITY: Latest hell for ex-U.S. Marine: Chained to bed in Mexican jail | World | McClatchy DC Of course, he was male and a Marine, so he deserves to be punished just for that.
I have never known calipoppy or lexus nexus to be "bound and determined" to defend her. It's quite the opposite, in fact. They are braying for her death. They absolutely HATE this girl. I am not sure that you can find two people more insanely liberal than those two.

For the record, I'm Conservative, and I don't believe she is guilty.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have never known calipoppy or lexus nexus to be "bound and determined" to defend her. It's quite the opposite, in fact. They are braying for her death. They absolutely HATE this girl. I am not sure that you can find two people more insanely liberal than those two.

For the record, I'm Conservative, and I don't believe she is guilty.
I am neither liberal or conservative, I just examine the evidence from a legal perspective and in terms of Knox, there is a lot of lying, trying to implicate others and covering up being done, whilst witnesses and even DNA evidence points to the fact she hasn't been very truthful. As does the fact that according to forensic experts numerous people were involved in the murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies