Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:37 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I want a specific place we should be drilling that we are not, instead you are giving me this general we should drill everywhere without being specific where. I wouldn't be surprised if they found oil in your neighborhood, you guys would be fighting it saying not in your backyards.
Good Grief! 5 pages of demanding a "specific spot" ...... how can anyone not know the most famous (or infamous) spot in all the USA? It's been controversial for decades and it was a major point in the 2008 Presidential election.

ANWR - The Arctic National Refuge in Alaska

Freightshaker is correct - those who use the NIMBY argument about argument "in their backyard", don't own the Mineral Rights to that oil/gas. Texas has a lot of oil and gas production because there is not much Federal Land in Texas. Most states either turned over their land to the Federal Government of allowed the Federal Government to claim it. Texas joined the USA as a Republic and kept their land.

The Greenies and Leftists are using the same arguments in 2014 to keep drilling away from the ANWR that they were using in 1977 - conveniently ignoring the HUGE advances in Technology. I live in a urban area that is among the 50 largest cities in the USA. I signed an Oil Lease 5 years ago for "under my house" and now get quarterly royalty checks All my neighbors did exactly the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Good Grief! 5 pages of demanding a "specific spot" ...... how can anyone not know the most famous (or infamous) spot in all the USA? It's been controversial for decades and it was a major point in the 2008 Presidential election.

ANWR - The Arctic National Refuge in Alaska

Freightshaker is correct - those who use the NIMBY argument about argument "in their backyard", don't own the Mineral Rights to that oil/gas. Texas has a lot of oil and gas production because there is not much Federal Land in Texas. Most states either turned over their land to the Federal Government of allowed the Federal Government to claim it. Texas joined the USA as a Republic and kept their land.

The Greenies and Leftists are using the same arguments in 2014 to keep drilling away from the ANWR that they were using in 1977 - conveniently ignoring the HUGE advances in Technology. I live in a urban area that is among the 50 largest cities in the USA. I signed an Oil Lease 5 years ago for "under my house" and now get quarterly royalty checks All my neighbors did exactly the same thing.
Well Texas is welcome to drill all they want over every inch of their own state. I am curious what do you do with that drilling contaminates the drinking water?
4 states confirm water pollution from drilling

So tell me, what does the human body need more to survive, water or oil?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Wait, I thought Obama was destroying our oil producing capability?

Are you saying these conservatives....lied?
He stopped drilling wherever he could. What is being drilled is on privately owned land. He stopped ANWR, drilling off both coasts, rocky mountain front range, Gulf of Mexico, etc.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes, that was a well reasoned response.

Facts are, the American people do not want our pristine land that has been set aside in perpetuity to be exploited by a few corporate interests. They are for all the people and their heirs. It is our legacy to our descendants from Teddy Roosevelt on to present day.
Seems like NOT opening them up did not curtail our supply very much at all.
Another fact is that if the oil companies didn't export American oil to the highest bidder in other countries, we would be 100% energy independent.
It would help it even more.

Why are you against people having jobs?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
So you think we should start drilling in our public land? Which public land should we start drilling for oil on?
All of it.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
When I first started, there weren't that many regulations and the regulations that did exist applied. So many regulations now only serve to make it impossible to drill. They serve no environmental or safety use. I have often sat down reading them and asking myself who the moron was that came up with this crap.
Liberals.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Because there are not other locations for oil? Also, I barely drive my car now and have a car that has a high gase mileage so I don't consume much gasoline.
I'll sell you my Volt.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 AM

878 posts, read 737,170 times
Quote:
So you can't name one specific place that we could be drilling but we are not? Not surprised.
I can. ANWR in Alaska.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
So you can't name one specific place that we could be drilling but we are not? Not surprised.
Rocky Mountain front from Montana through Wyoming, Colorado into New Mexico. Proven reserves there and the idiot placed them off-limits.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
I can. ANWR in Alaska.
I disagree, I think that area should be protected as a reserve. Plus drilling there would only increase the risk of doing hard to the ecosystem that exists there. Just because you don't see the area doesn't mean we should drill there. There is plenty of other areas we drill in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies