Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,187,864 times

Advertisements

I watched the commercial at least 3 times before reading this thread, and I never once considered the race of the people in it.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,792,512 times
Good commercial.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1,804 posts, read 2,357,612 times
The tea drinkers still believe this country was based on English, Christianity, and being white. Apparently, you folks forget that a huge part of our current population are decendents of non-English speaking countries (e.g. - Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Russia, India, etc., etc., etc.).

Our forefathers welcomed peoples from all lands to the home of the free. If you don't like that then I suggest you move to some other country.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,379,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Excuse me, but I voted and drove 750 miles to knock on doors for Pres Obama in 2008. I'm just against this particular commercial because anyone not familiar with this country would think that we are a 90% "minority" country by watching this tripe. It would have been better if these immigrants had sung in english to demonstrate that we are ONE country, not a balkanization of separate communities.

I agree with some other points of view on this matter, but I also understand what you are conveying.

I applaud anyone who can speak more then one language, it is not easy. But you make much sense too.

I rarely take notice to commercials, they are usually stupid and make no sense. I think Coke n Pepsi are utter garbage. I know what you mean, it is fine that they sung in their language, but maybe some would have liked them to end with singing in English. You make sense, don't let anyone tell you different.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,198,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I rarely take notice to commercials, they are usually stupid and make no sense. I think Coke n Pepsi are utter garbage. I know what you mean, it is fine that they sung in their language, but maybe some would have liked them to end with singing in English.

The ad ends with singing "from sea to shining sea" in English.

It also begins in English, and in the middle sings "God shed his grace on thee" (in English).

Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,198,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Like I said, I really don't have a problem with the commercial beyond the motivation behind it. It is the arrogance of a small group of people feeling that they need to preach to us about how to live.
That's the essence of advertising, isn't it?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

11,195 posts, read 8,231,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right and progressive liberals are trying to shove diversity and foreign languages down our throats. It is not an American "tradition" to reward millions of foreigners here illegally just because it was done during the Reagan era.

Seems anything will do to dilute our identity as a nation, our culture and our language and even our basis as a Christian nation along with the teachings of Christianity. I couldn't care less about what race one is, however. It's about all of the above.
I would respectfully point out the great irony that unless you are of Native American lineage, then you are a descendant of one of those Foreigners.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,747,628 times
It was weird to hear it and I am actually watching it for a second time thanks to Chromecast and I am not sure what to think. On the one hand America is full of ethnic diversity but on the other hand, it has virtualy been played in English. What is next, doing two of them at sport events?

It was a typical Coke ad where they try and promote world peace rather than have a soft drink. For that it's good but the issue is was this appropriate or not.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:42 PM

14,461 posts, read 11,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
Clearly you have not been to Europe recently. In Switzerland they speak five languages. In the UK you will find signs in Welsh, Gaelic, and English (among others). China has multiple languages, as does Canada, and numerous other countries. Heck even in Queens, NY you will find entire neighborhoods where all the signage is in Farsi.
Interesting that you would use Switzerland as an example, do you care to guess what language they use to be able to communicate between the multiple languages in that nation? Same goes with all those nations you listed save China and even they are pushing English in order to become less insular.

Quote:
In the past, perhaps. But change is inevitable...nothing is static - look at the history of mankind up until this point...it's exponential. There has been more change in the last 50 years than the 100 years before it. There has been more change in the last 200 years than the 2000 years that preceded it. It's kind of tough to view a 10-to-20 year span where our nation had relative stability, not a lot of changes, one predominant language and culture, (about the 1950s or so) and say this is the model that should remain forever. It's simply not practical.
We are not talking about culture we are talking about a language and it has always been practical to speak a common language.

As far as stability goes, even with a devastating civil war, the United States has been the most stable nation on the planet for almost 250 years.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with how you live. It does not even require you to change anything about your life if you do not want to. The commercial is simply a reflection of what is our modern day society. Given the fact that our country is going in the direction of more multiculturalism, not less..it's smart for advertisers to appeal to a broad demographic. You may not be prepared to face that reality, but it is coming...
Again, we are discussing languages here. Please stick to the topic.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:44 PM

14,461 posts, read 11,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
That's the essence of advertising, isn't it?
To be able to drink Coca-cola in Arabic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies