Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I would respectfully point out the great irony that unless you are of Native American lineage, then you are a descendant of one of those Foreigners.
Yes, I am a descendant of native Americans. My white European family goes back for generations and most were born on this soil. So they were natives and so am I by virtue of birth. The so-called Native Americans who may have been here first were also foreigners to this country/continent. They weren't natives, only their descendants born here would be.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, I am a descendant of native Americans. My white European family goes back for generations and most were born on this soil. So they were natives and so am I by virtue of birth. The so-called Native Americans who may have been here first were also foreigners to this country/continent. They weren't natives, only their descendants born here would be.
And how do you know these children weren't born in the United States? Hell, the girl singing Spanish is Puerto Rican. She's a US CITIZEN!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Type II diabetes in any language is still diabetes. People should worry more about their health than a few people upset about a commercial.

A soda every now and then isn't necessarily bad. Drinking liquid sugar of any brand on a regular basis is muy mal and no bueno for the pancreas.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 PM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
It wasn't the national anthem.

I though it was a good advertisement. I think the larger point is that, for the better, we are become a nation of many, and the notion that we should be one homogeneous country with "one language, one culture" is a flawed one (and makes a very uninteresting society).

My wife is from a different country...her family lives here now and it is great to be a part of their culture as well as my own; I am learning new language, foods, etc.

I don't understand the fear/paranoia some exhibit about this issue, and I also don't understand why, when someone sees someone else singing a patriotic song in a different language, the observer automatically assumes the person "is not american" - as if Americans don't learn new languages in high school, college, private study, etc.

In 10 or 20 years...just imagine how multicultural we will be!
What's wrong with being a homogenous country where we all speak a common language out in mainstream? Language is the glue that ties a country together. I guess you're not a fan of Japan, China and many other countries that have a dominant culture and language? I would hardly get bored being able to communicate with my neighbor and sharing a common culture with them. Yes, I can just imagine what we will be in 20 years where we have no national identity and are just a mutt nation. I don't know why so many take offense at assimilation out in public. Is someone stopping them from practicing their native cultures and languages at home?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Yes, they are the "descendants". That is your clue. I am a descendant of Germans but I was born here and am all American. I don't wish to flout any of my German ancestry because I don't identity with them. No one said we shouldn't welcome immigrants. This is about assimilation once they get here.
German isn't a great example as WW1 and WW2 made Germans suppress their ancestry and sped up assimilation. In the Civil War there were many regiments from the upper mid west made up entirely of German accented locals with poor English skills. With the exception of Mexican and Central Americans the rate of assimilation has not slowed down and is at historic levels. Mexicans are unlike other immigrants who crossed oceans and had to give up connections to their homeland. Mexico is next door and Mexicans can just drive home. Mexicans still assimilate but but because of proximity and mass are more likely to remain bilingual than other groups.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,639 times
Quote:
What's wrong with being a homogenous country where we all speak a common language out in mainstream? Language is the glue that ties a country together. I guess you're not a fan of Japan, China and many other countries that have a dominant culture and language? I would hardly get bored being able to communicate with my neighbor and sharing a common culture with them. Yes, I can just imagine what we will be in 20 years where we have no national identity and are just a mutt nation. I don't know why so many take offense at assimilation out in public. Is someone stopping them from practicing their native cultures and languages at home?
Language is part of the common culture for some countries, like the ones you mentioned. The United States has always been different. Our culture is a more politically-oriented one derived from things like the Enlightenment, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. We have never been a homogeneous country and that was never the intention. Ironically, a big part of a US culture is free expression.

Last edited by Grsz11; 02-03-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
Sigh
Some people aren't happy unless they have something to argue about.
This thread is going nowhere.
Closed
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.