Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Yup. AFAIC, life begins at birth.
By that rationale, all elective late-term abortions should also be legal.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The ovaries produce hormones. Removing them removes the production of hormones which will send a woman into early menopause.

An Overview of the Ovaries - Estrogen, Progesterone, and Reproduction
I already knew this fact, but thank you very much for posting this link here.

Just to make sure--testicles are the male equivalent of ovaries, correct?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM

878 posts, read 941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
By that rationale, all elective late-term abortions should also be legal.
Yes. They should.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Yes. They should.
You're quite ghoulish, and proud of it. Not the best combination.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
1. I don't believe Eunuchs are thrown into menopause. In fact, they may live longer than non castrated men.

"Historical Korean eunuchs ... outlived their non-castrated counterparts by as much as 20 years, the study finds."

and

"Nevertheless, researchers have theorized that testosterone's effects may be the reason women outlive men on average."

Eunuchs may outlive other men | Fox News

2. Women have a cycle with multiple hormones regulating that cycle and that cycle imparts some health benefits enjoyed only until we stop our cycle. Only some of the hormones regulating that cycle originate with the ovaries. When the ovaries are removed, a woman's body continues to produce like FSH in higher and higher amounts trying to stimulate the ovaries that are not there. Women go into hormone imbalance if the ovaries are removed. Women have issues with things like bone density post menopause and early menopause shortens a woman's life expectancy and besides, I can't imagine going from 0 to 100% WRT menopause. It was bad enough going through it over the course of several years.
1. Yes, I also previously heard about a possible eunuch advantage in longevity. That said, it also says this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castra...l_consequences

"Without hormone replacement therapy (HRT), typical symptoms (similar to those experienced by menopausal women) include hot flashes, gradual bone-density loss resulting in osteopenia or osteoporosis, and potential weight gain or redistribution of body fat to the hips/chest. Replacement of testosterone in the form of gel, patches, or injections can largely reverse these effects, although breast enlargement has also been reported as a possible side effect of testosterone usage.[145]"

Thus, if this info is correct, my point about castrated males experiencing some/many similar symptoms to post-menopausal females still stands.

2. Thank you very much for this info. If this info is correct, then yeah, it might not be worth it for females to get their ovaries removed.

Interestingly enough, though, in that link that Annie53 previously posted, I think that it does talk about how some doctors are willing to remove females' ovaries as well when these females get a hysterectomy. Thus, I am not sure that non-medically necessary ovary removal would necessarily be a violation of medical ethics. However, my point that ovary removal might not be worth it (in non-medically necessary cases, obviously) still stands, though.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. They should.
I admire your courage and honesty in stating this view of yours here, even if I don't agree with it.

For the record, it depends on how one defines life, but the development of a new whole, full human individual/entity/et cetera begins at conception/fertilization. That said, this debate isn't about life, but rather about personhood/rights.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM

878 posts, read 941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I admire your courage and honesty in stating this view of yours here, even if I don't agree with it.
I have no time for obfuscating any more. No time for spin, rationalization and other BS. State your position and live with the consequences like a man.

Don't believe in a deity, don't like kids, love cats, godless commie (and a gun owner, too!).

You don't know anyone like me, I promise you.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
[quote=Futurist110;33331956]I admire your courage and honesty in stating this view of yours here, even if I don't agree with it.

For the record, it depends on how one defines life, but the development of a new whole, full human individual/entity/et cetera begins at conception/fertilization. That said, this debate isn't about life, but rather about personhood/rights.[/QUOTE

Life begin at birth. Before that it is potential life. For the record no woman should be forced against their will to take a pregnancy to term, labor and deliver a child unless it is here desire to do so. Women like men have the right to privacy and control of
their medical choices

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
I have no time for obfuscating any more. No time for spin, rationalization and other BS. State your position and live with the consequences like a man.

Don't believe in a deity, don't like kids, love cats, godless commie (and a gun owner, too!).

You don't know anyone like me, I promise you.
I find it odd when one flatters themself. Here is no spin, You're not all that unique.
You may be "special" but not all that unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies