Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Sure. Nowadays nobody works and everybody just waits for a handout, like the mind blowing $150 in foodstamps...
Balls!!! most of you couldn't live in my world today The first rack of 60lb hay bales on a 90 degree day and you'd be crying like a baby.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The life of a 19th Century coalminer in northeastern Pennsylvania and his family is by todays standards horrific. They worked at an unbelievably difficult, strenuous, and dangerous job and were compensated about $1.25 a day which was very modest even in those days. The company owned your home - a wooden shanty with no insulation or running water or plumbing, the only source of heat was a single Franklin stove in the kitchen. You had to buy your necessities in the company store and many if not most miners were in lifetime debt to their employer. If you tried to run away the company had it's own police to catch you. Often you weren't even paid in US cash - but in company "scrip." No such thing as sick days or vacation.
Not my kind of place.

I will take late-nineteenth century Alaska instead.

Lots of caribou, moose, and salmon the size of a small car. Trapping and gold panning for income, with no income taxes or taxes of any kind. My biggest concern would be whether I had enough wood cut for the winter.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
"Things" are better now than when I was a young adult. But I can understand why young people who can't find a decent job and have tens of thousands in student loans may feel differently.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Interesting read. It dispels many myths.

50 reasons why this is the greatest time ever
This is a great list, well-supported by facts. Sadly, that means it probably won't convince anyone. Most people are not persuaded by facts, logic and reason. most people are persuaded by effective appeals to their emotions. If they have a strong emotional investment in the belief that the world is falling apart, presenting them with facts that show the opposite will just frustrate them and make them dig in deeper.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The majority of people could not handle the "good old days" because they no longer have the necessary skills. With the advent of electrification a century ago the skill of preserving food has been lost with most people. We have become so dependent upon our technology that if that technology were to suddenly stop functioning tens of millions would die. Even children know how to operate smart phones these days, but how many people know what an adze or draw blade are, much less how to use them?

If we ever get hit by a large enough coronal mass ejection, people will not have to wonder what living a century in the past was like, because we will already be there.
There are still places in this world where you can live w/o electricity and already preserved food, you are always welcome to move to one of them.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
I really liked that article. It wasn't biased nor was it preachy. While I am a firm believer that the world can be an extremely dangerous place and some of the optimism could prove to be unbelievably wrong ("War is really going out style" in 2014 versus "The Great War was a war to end all wars" in the 1920s), but it helps keep things in perspective.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
50 reasons why this is the greatest time ever
There are no myths. People who dont appreciate earlier times are likely not old enough to have experienced them. Just because we have a lot of technological gadgetry going on and plenty of refurbished philosopies about what material happiness is supposed to feel like, doesnt mean that our societal quality of life has made any advances. It has'nt. It is actually in a dismal downward spiral. And I am by no means pessimistic. But I do accept reality and hope to make the best of it without rationalizing.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009
I dont care what it says,ITS BS!!

The world is COMPLETE TRASH now compared to 20 years ago and before.........

Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The health care statistics are all accurate.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Life is more convenient today in police state where you are given a relatively larger stipend to be a conformist, not question government and have no privacy. At least, in America. That's all I got from this.

Not to mention, at the expense of much of the exterior world getting pounded up the south pole still.

Not one single reference or link to those claims, to boot.

This article is written by a statist shill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies