Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Mother loses both children in same month - CNN.com

If this had occurred in a white neighborhood, a mall, or a school, there would be multiple threads about "banning guns," et al. However, because 2 black kids were killed in Oakland, CA no one really cares. Same holds true for Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles. So long as no one is really effected and its not front page news, no one really cares.

Sad state of affairs the people of this country are in.
There are cases like this daily in this country involving all races. Some make the national news some don't. Others only local news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,429,964 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a factor. Yet, you are also correct. No one complains, unless it occurs at a school or a mall. Then its a big deal.
No one is going to complain about someone getting shot in Oakland because getting shot in Oakland is not a surprise.

[getting shot in a school or mall is...]

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,263,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
No one is going to complain about someone getting shot in Oakland because getting shot in Oakland is not a surprise.

Again, fair enough, however, shouldn't it be? Who cares where you are shot and killed? A mall, Oakland, a school, or Detroit? Getting shot and killed is getting shot and killed. Where, when and why doesn't matter; or I should say, "Shouldn't matter."

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

Unless that school or mall is in Oakland. (seriously-they'll shoot you)

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,792,238 times
Quote:
Again, fair enough, however, shouldn't it be? Who cares where you are shot and killed? A mall, Oakland, a school, or Detroit? Getting shot and killed is getting shot and killed. Where, when and why doesn't matter; or I should say, "Shouldn't matter."
When your involved in illegal activities (gangs) and are killed for said activities then people (like myself) tend to not care. When normal people are murdered, no mater the color, people care.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,801,734 times
Quote:
Mother loses both children in same month - CNN.com

If this had occurred in a white neighborhood, a mall, or a school, there would be multiple threads about "banning guns," et al. However, because 2 black kids were killed in Oakland, CA no one really cares. Same holds true for Detroit, Chicago, and Los Angeles. So long as no one is really effected and its not front page news, no one really cares.

Sad state of affairs the people of this country are in.
Ask this guy, he's got the answers about why no one cares.

Quote:
And? Better him then me...Life is tough and hard. Sorry the rainbow fairy and fluffy cloud lords weren't there to help him.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-04-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,263,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Ask this guy, he's got the answers about why no one cares.
Again, great point. Which is why I bring it up. Why should I care, when someone's "lilly white kids" were killed in their school, when my people are slaughtered all day, every day?

SOMEONE, congrats to you, have figured it out. I could care less "X" died. Because the general public could care less when my people die. When you do, I will. Until then, your "feigned" loss is BS.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,823,774 times
these shootings happen all the time so you build up a tolerance to it. i dont remember reading about a murder or killing in recent memory that truly shocked me because it's normal, i expect it, regardless of race.

i think the last one that got to me was hadiya pendleton out in chicago, and she was black and that got national headlines.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 AM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Again, great point. Which is why I bring it up. Why should I care, when someone's "lilly white kids" were killed in their school, when my people are slaughtered all day, every day?

SOMEONE, congrats to you, have figured it out. I could care less "X" died. Because the general public could care less when my people die. When you do, I will. Until then, your "feigned" loss is BS.
Again, nothing to do with race. If your kids are killed by some drunk driver-*I* care. If they're killed by their own involvement in a gang? Nope dont care. If they die in a house fire-I care.

This applies to everyone, not just your kids. Sorry if you think that race matters in this, it doesnt.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,823,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, nothing to do with race. If your kids are killed by some drunk driver-*I* care. If they're killed by their own involvement in a gang? Nope dont care. If they die in a house fire-I care.

This applies to everyone, not just your kids. Sorry if you think that race matters in this, it doesnt.

hes right that if this was a young white blonde hair blue eyed female that more publications would pick up on it.

the missing white girl phenomenon applies to the mainstream media and crosses into crime as well.

i also think those of a similar background care more about someone like them getting killed.

i myself paid more attention to hadiya pendleton then some random white guy who got killed that i could care lesss about.

like you said, death is death, but we are selective in regards to what death we take more seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies