Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That both Intelligent Design and Evolution are unproveable theories. Both require faith to believe them. I don't regard those that believe a different theory from the one I believe in to be delusional, however.
ID is not a "theory". Trying looking up the meaning of the word. It does not mean what you think it does.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
After reading through hundreds of comments on Facebook about this debate, I only learned one thing. Those on the side of science are overwhelmingly rude, condescending jerks.

This was a completely pointless debate that will change the opinions of absolutely nobody and only serve to increase tensions between believers and non-believers.
I know.... after all, to "Flat Earthers" Science would seem to be very much like magic.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I know.... after all, to "Flat Earthers" Science would seem to be very much like magic.
Thanks for proving my point.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.
No problem..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
After reading through hundreds of comments on Facebook about this debate, I only learned one thing. Those on the side of science are overwhelmingly rude, condescending jerks.
Really? I don't do Facebook so I haven't seen the comments, but based on what usually happens here on the forum, its always the "believers" who are condescending, snarky jerks whenever faced with anything that might happen to disagree with what is printed in their holy books. Always.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"Christianity needs to focus on Jesus and let the Old Testament be old. Otherwise Christianity will die off"

In my reading on various forums I find that the ones who concentrate on the Old Testament are often the anti-religious, mostly avowed Atheists.
Many Christians espouse the message of Christ's LOVE in the New Testament over the fear of God in the Old. The anti-religious, it seems, want to downplay that message of Love in favor of the Old Testament message of food restrictions and stoning. I wonder why?
FAITH can't be explained. You either have it, or you don't. If you choose to not believe that the ancestors of the Hopi Indians came into this world from another world through a hole in the ground, that is your choice. As for me, I simply don't know. NOBODY knows. Not even Bill Nye! Oh, yes, he may THINK he knows, but he really doesn't. I would like to see him explain to a Hopi Shaman why his faith in the Origin Legends of his tribe are WRONG. That would be fun to watch!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
[quote=Bideshi;33336422]That both Intelligent Design and Evolution are unproveable theories.[/Qoute]

Intelligent design isn't any kind of theory. It's a story.

Quote:
Both require faith to believe them.
Incorrect.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A couple points

1. For thousands of years before being a "Christian" book, the Old Testament was a Jewish book. I have never met a single Jew who takes the creation account literally. Not one. Only Christians, mostly fundamentalist Protestants claim to

2. The Catholic Church tried to keep the Bible out of the common man's reading view because of things that seem impossible and contradictory. They knew that biblical literalism would kill Christianity because people would see the errors and doubt in the God.

It's not just the creation story. It's the behavior of "great men of God"

Lot - offered his virgin daughters to violent mobs to have sex with them (to protect male strangers in his care)

Abraham - married his half sister

David - had thousands of wives

Solomon - had thousands of wives

God striking down a man for refusing to father children by his (now dead) brother's wife. (Literally says "He wasted his semen on the ground and God struck him)

God commanding the Israelites to kill all - including children - in the land they conquered. Doesn't mess with Jesus' mess of peace

Etc etc

Christianity needs to focus on Jesus and let the Old Testament be old. Otherwise Christianity will die off
I wouldn't dump on the Catholics if I were you.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/humanity/evolutn.txt

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
I wonder if the people who believe that Santa flies around the world and delivers toys to children, or that the Tooth Fairy leaves rewards for kids when their baby teeth fall out, think that those who are skeptical are rude and condescending?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM

924 posts, read 667,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That both Intelligent Design and Evolution are unproveable theories. Both require faith to believe them. I don't regard those that believe a different theory from the one I believe in to be delusional, however.

You don't know what the definition of scientific theory is, and therefore your opinion holds no weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies