Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

"After several days of talks with their members, House Republican leaders have not been able to identify a debt ceiling package that could pass with only GOP support, according to multiple senior aides. In fact, they’re nowhere close.

GOP leadership’s goal was to use this week to craft a package that could pass without the help of Democrats. But the party isn’t rallying around a single proposal to lift the borrowing limit. Instead of coalescing around a unified strategy, groups of rank-and-file Republicans have expressed support for at least four different options: language to encourage the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, another provision that would change a part of Obamacare, reforms to Congress’s budgeting process and — in one of the most recent suggestions — reversing recent changes to the cost-of-living formula for the military.

Here’s why Republicans are stuck in neutral: They have a significant bloc of members who decline to vote for any debt limit increase out of principle. The rest of the conference is split between this smattering of suggestions."

House GOP divided on debt ceiling - Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

Here we go again, the House Republicans aim to hold the country hostage once again while they bicker among themselves on what the ransom should be. My prediction--Boehner will be forced once again to go to the Democrats and ask for help to keep the government from defaulting. The only real question is how much crap we will have to go through before we get to that point this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:16 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Tell me again why the government does not have the discipline to honor the ceiling?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Tell me again why the government does not have the discipline to honor the ceiling?
because they're autonomous

same with, say, the UK or Japan. if their governments decide to cease all borrowing from the central bank, there is no bigger, badder authority that could force them to do otherwise. they are free to smash their own balls with a mallet, just as we are.

i think the best case scenario here is that the more-informed half of the GOP convinces the less-informed half of the GOP to put the mallet down.

edit: sorry i misread that as "Tell me again why the government does not have to honor the ceiling" My mistake.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM

108 posts, read 110,682 times
Of course,and I am sure the author knows this,debt ceiling increases usually include some kind of compromise. Or that Obama as a senator consistently voted against raising it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Crash it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
They are asking the wrong question. Its not how to agree to lift the ceiling, it should be how not to lift it.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Obama voting against it was irrelevant back then, there was 0 risk of it not passing. It was a safe vote to say "this is bad" And at a time when our economy was doing good it WAS bad. Its also almost time to start saying deficit is bad again, we need to be a bit safer in the recovery in my mind, but maybe not.

But hitting the debt limit is NOT how to resolve this.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
The worst thing republicans can do this year start back up with the debt ceiling.

If the republicans had half a brain the would make sure that the only thing being talking about is the utter compleat failing of Obamacare.

The reps need to shut up, increase the debt ceiling to the end of the year and make the only story be health care. The left leaning media will do whatever they can to not talk about Obamacare.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The worst thing republicans can do this year start back up with the debt ceiling.

If the republicans had half a brain the would make sure that the only thing being talking about is the utter compleat failing of Obamacare.

The reps need to shut up, increase the debt ceiling to the end of the year and make the only story be health care. The left leaning media will do whatever they can to not talk about Obamacare.
You're right from the GOP perspective this is a horrible plan. From the Dem side....uhmmm...yeah good luck with this. LOL.

Come on, you know you have to pass this one way or the other. Didnt last time teach you folks anything?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
because they're autonomous

same with, say, the UK or Japan. if their governments decide to cease all borrowing from the central bank, there is no bigger, badder authority that could force them to do otherwise. they are free to smash their own balls with a mallet, just as we are.

i think the best case scenario here is that the more-informed half of the GOP convinces the less-informed half of the GOP to put the mallet down.

edit: sorry i misread that as "Tell me again why the government does not have to honor the ceiling" My mistake.
Whatever question you answered, it's ridiculous that we are repeatedly in this situation. especially every few months.

You can't tell me that people who want this to occur every few months have this country's best interest at heart.

If nothing else, this is the process of breaking trusts in politicians (Republicans in this case)... sort of like the repeated bending of a material before it finally breaks because the material has weakened from the repeated bending. Because Republicans are highlighted as the problem, their brand is weakened every time we have a debt ceiling debate.

The true problem is that the debt ceiling is not honored and adhered to - repeatedly. We continue heading towards the wall at a high rate of speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies