Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:15 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,156,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Virginia? Things seem better down there than here. Up here in Northern VA, snobby liberal elites now get to decide what's right for the state.
I'm in Augusta, GA. The funny thing is there are rural counties in the state that lean GOP (the majority of them do) but the closer to the metropolitan areas you get the opposite starts to be true. But most of the public assistance goes to the more populated counties which tend to lean democratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,938,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Are you comparing military with medicare??? Not saying I don't agree that medicare is needed but its definitely not the same as military. We are paying the for the military because it protects us ALL. Medicare is only benefit for those who qualify and you don't have to work to get it. You have to work and put your life on the line in the military so they should be compensated for that.
If you polled the majority of the country they would agree to gut the military, but ask them to eliminate Medicare and they wouldn't go for it.

I think you guys are still stuck in this Cold War mentality where we are at constant odds with the world. We're not.

And just cus the military protects all doesn't make it something totally unique to other government programs. We educate all. We ship and mail things across the country for all. If we had universal healthcare we would provide care for ALL.

It's the same thing. How can you guys really say that the military is exempt from your tirades against government?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,341,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If you polled the majority of the country they would agree to gut the military, but ask them to eliminate Medicare and they wouldn't go for it.

I think you guys are still stuck in this Cold War mentality where we are at constant odds with the world. We're not.

And just cus the military protects all doesn't make it something totally unique to other government programs. We educate all. We ship and mail things across the country for all. If we had universal healthcare we would provide care for ALL.

It's the same thing. How can you guys really say that the military is exempt from your tirades against government?
Petro-dollar.

Looks like you got something to think about and investigate.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,156,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Where did I say we need to eliminate Medicare?????

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM

10,805 posts, read 14,866,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Because they're stupid. Next.
The myth of red state welfare

Quote:
During the last few years, a key liberal talking point has been "red state welfare." The argument is that the states that get more from the federal government than they pay in taxes tend to be red states, whereas the states that give more to the federal government than they pay in taxes tend to be blue states. This "red state welfare" hypothesis falls completely apart when we look at the data.

snip
Facts, take them away!
\

Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I have live in one of these small towns in Washington. The school district was in large part funded by taxpayers in the Seattle area-democrats. We had a large number of Federal employees through the Forest Service and in our schools 50% were on Snap and I guess most of the town was on Medicaid, Schip, EITC, etc. Senior relied SS, Medicare and senior lunches. But when it come to voting 57% voted Republican. Almost the whole town was a government check...ya gotta love the Republican base.
Isn't it nuts? Yet they'll wax on about the private sector does it better but they wouldn't leave their nice state job to work the grind at a private firm.

I can't tell you how many conservative teachers I know that grit their teeth when they hear a right wing douche on Fox gripe about how teacher pay is too high and should be cut, but of course they stay loyal to the GOP for some odd reason.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
The suburbs are generally Republican too.

There's one reason: Dems want to take as much money as possible from R's to give to the Dem's mooching supporters and the R's are opposed to that.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Where did I say we need to eliminate Medicare?????
I know you didn't but what I'm saying is that people place more value in their social programs than a bloated over extended military.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Petro-dollar.

Looks like you got something to think about and investigate.
Are you talking about petrodollar warfare?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM

108 posts, read 110,167 times
Quote:
Where I live the suburban and rural counties do vote GOP but they are the more affluent counties that don't get a lot of government assistance where as the main county, Richmond, leans democratic and being the main county it of course has the projects, and the lower income people that receive the most government support. Nothing is absolute.
The township I live in is pretty red. Lot's of transplants from Chicago and Milwaukee areas. Some are retirees,some younger families. The rest of the county is really low income. Lot's of people on welfare,ssi,food stamps. Unlike most rural areas,lots of people are also in unions. Add to that a lot of farmers who like their farm programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies