Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I can give you one valid reason for preferring to live in another developed Western country over the United States - free health care. There's something to be said about never having to worry about health care or the quality of health care, regardless of whether you're employed, unemployed or retired.
So, an OFA Obama sycophant posts his plug for Obamacare. Thanks, but no thanks. We had better care here till Obama and the Democrats started pushing their agenda on us. That's why people from other countries, when facing real health issues, always came to the United States for treatment. Doesn't that tell you something?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
I traveled to Belize for 11 days. Climate was beautiful. I couldn't stand it if I lived there though. Life was WAY to laid back. I'm not materialistic, but I do like my comfy bed and hot showers and clean tap water, which weren't normal there.

Which is a good question: How is tap water around the world?

But my career choices there would have been to own a small shop or to work hand laboring in agriculture or tourism. There were NO opportunities. Just the sheer amount of things that I could not have had had I been on a salary there hurt me.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I lived in Germany for three years and liked it, and enjoyed travelling all over Europe. The only negative thing I noticed in Europe (I'm sure all EU countries aren't identical on this) is that once you graduate from college (paid for through taxes, not tuition), it sounded like you're pretty much stuck in that career track. For instance, you got an accounting degree and 10 years later hate it and want to become a nurse, you can't do that. Otherwise, I loved the country.

But I think the best fit for me personally would probably be Canada, or maybe Australia. I think I am more in line with Canada politically and socially, but would prefer the weather of Australia.
I think you'd be a good fit for Canada, too.
You'd just have to take up skiing and hockey, then warm up with a Timmy's double-double.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, an OFA Obama sycophant posts his plug for Obamacare. Thanks, but no thanks. We had better care here till Obama and the Democrats started pushing their agenda on us. That's why people from other countries, when facing real health issues, always came to the United States for treatment. Doesn't that tell you something?
Do they now? Always?
Well, guess what? The number of Canadians who come to the US for treatment is less than one half of one percent. So that means that
A. You're lying
B. Canadians are so incredibly healthy, thanks to our socialized medicine, that the other 99.5% never face real health issues.

Pick one.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
That's why people from other countries, when facing real health issues, always came to the United States for treatment. Doesn't that tell you something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Do they now? Always?
Well, guess what? The number of Canadians who come to the US for treatment is less than one half of one percent. ....
An elderly Canadian friend of mine (lives in Ottawa) went to the Mayo Clinic for prostate cancer surgery some years ago, paying out of pocket. He is fairly affluent. His reasoning was that for elaborate procedures where there really is a difference between the finest care possible, and merely good care, the US system is amongst the best, if not outright the best. For health-maintenance (annual checkups, immunizations, dental work) and for minor procedures (setting broken bones), a Canadian-type of system is better.

There are "medical tourists" from all over the world, coming to the US. This implies that the US offers the best care for the those prepared to pay the best money. It says nothing about offering merely good care for the masses.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
An elderly Canadian friend of mine (lives in Ottawa) went to the Mayo Clinic for prostate cancer surgery some years ago, paying out of pocket. He is fairly affluent. His reasoning was that for elaborate procedures where there really is a difference between the finest care possible, and merely good care, the US system is amongst the best, if not outright the best. For health-maintenance (annual checkups, immunizations, dental work) and for minor procedures (setting broken bones), a Canadian-type of system is better.

There are "medical tourists" from all over the world, coming to the US. This implies that the US offers the best care for the those prepared to pay the best money. It says nothing about offering merely good care for the masses.
Am elderly friend of yours going to the Mayo Clinic, doesn't mean we "always" go to the US for real health issues. The very idea is preposterous.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Am elderly friend of yours going to the Mayo Clinic, doesn't mean we "always" go to the US for real health issues. The very idea is preposterous.
I fthey can afford it the buy the best. I live near Mayos home town, there always seem to some foriegn potentate's 737 parked out on the runway.....
Mayo Clinic | Patients Beyond Borders

Each year more than 8,000 international patients from 140 countries travel to one of Mayo’s locations. Mayo's International Patient Offices

Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,205 times
I largely agree with the sentiments of some other posts: America is probably the best place to live for the upper middle class--those with household incomes of $100-200k. For the rich, it really doesn't matter--they can live well anywhere in the world. For the middle and working classes, other countries have it much, much better.

I actually prefer living overseas. In countries where I've lived (Asia and Europe--I include Australia and New Zealand), people have a healthier work/life balance, and generally seem much happier and far less stressed. They seem to have a better understanding of what's really important, whereas in the US, so many define themselves through their work. The yahoo/knucklehead factor is really high here, too.

I'm here for the time being, but will likely end up spending most time abroad and maybe coming back to the US for 2-3 months a year. Unless I hit the powerball; then all bets are off.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Actually the only people that came to our country for health care were and are those well off financially. Doesn't that tell you something?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sweetest words after a 5 years absence from america, upon returning, said by us customs, welcome home huck
The sweetest words I ever heard- were in 2013 Brisbane Int'l Airport: Welcome to Australia, mate!!!

I've been living a dream ever since!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies