Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM

136 posts, read 176,494 times

Advertisements

The Christian Right is dead. I'm 24 and I don't know any people my age who would consider themselves part of the Christian Right, despite the fact that I grew up in the most conservative environment ever (gated community, private Christian school, Presbyterian church) and still keep in touch with people from my childhood. Libertarianism is in, Christian Conservatism is out. I hate to disappoint my parents' generation, but the truth is that my generation will probably end the War on Drugs, legalize gambling, raise our kids on secular principles, lower the drinking age, end the military draft, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
The Christian Right is dead. I'm 24 and I don't know any people my age who would consider themselves part of the Christian Right, despite the fact that I grew up in the most conservative environment ever (gated community, private Christian school, Presbyterian church) and still keep in touch with people from my childhood. Libertarianism is in, Christian Conservatism is out. I hate to disappoint my parents' generation, but the truth is that my generation will probably end the War on Drugs, legalize gambling, raise our kids on secular principles, lower the drinking age, end the military draft, etc.
Then you need to expand your horizons. I worked extensively with young people (ages 15 thru college age) while living in Tennessee only a couple of years ago. I couldn't organize trainings or meetings on Sunday mornings or Wednesday evenings because many of them attended church.

Fast forward over to when I lived in Wyoming. Plenty of young people who are hard working, church going, volunteering, respectful to their elders, young people who know better than to make smarmy grand pronouncements to the world.

I don't know where you live, but Christianity is not dead. This from a libertarian (primarily conservative voting) atheist.

Saying "I hate to disappoint my parents generation" is a useless and banal phrase. You don't hate it at all.

Eventually you (and other like minded young people) will realize that you don't know it all, you don't have all the answers and that people who have more years of experience in this world than you do, maybe (just maybe) are smarter than you think.

An old saying - if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. And this country does not have a military draft.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
There is no draft.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Thank God we have brave kids like you willing to step up and end the military draft.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
How many ids does this kid have?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:

The christian right is not dead and never will be. Just as you disagree with your parents teachings, there is probably the same amount that do agree with them. I commend you on having your own opinion though and not just following in your parents footsteps because that is what they may expect of you.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Yeah, you forgot to mention women's suffrage.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yeah, you forgot to mention women's suffrage.
And slavery.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 PM

878 posts, read 942,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I don't know where you live, but Christianity is not dead.
And the world is a bit less happy as a result.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 PM

136 posts, read 176,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no draft.
Weird, because I remember signing a Selective Service paper when I was 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies