Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,858,437 times

Advertisements

I don't know, maybe because country music is aimed at rural folk and rural folk tend to vote Republican?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,277,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Country music is not a Democrat or Republican thing, IMO.

I never liked country music even when I was a kid and didn't even know or care what a Democrat or a Republican was.

This AMERICAN Democrat doesn't care for country music and can't stand blue grass, jazz or hip hop.

It is not a political thing, it is just a personal preference thing.
I loathe country music. I do like jazz, though.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
First of all, there are some very good country music stars that are very staunch Democrats like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw. Also, Brooks and Dunn are Democrats as well as the Dixie Chicks. Democrats like to look down on them as rednecks, but I think Dems could learn a thing or two. Maybe Democrats could learn to be a bit more country, embrace the second amendment, go hunting and enjoy true nature :P

In all honestly, I would like to get more liberals/Democrats involve in country and bluegrass music.
In all honesty, I would like to get more conservatives involved in worldbeat and reggae.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In all honesty, I would like to get more conservatives involved in worldbeat and reggae.
I suppose you can say they have some representation in dancehall...

Buju Banton - Boom Bye Bye - YouTube

Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,824,842 times
In the words of Hank Williams Jr. "If ya don't like country ya can kiss my ass".

Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I suppose you can say they have some representation in dancehall...

Buju Banton - Boom Bye Bye - YouTube
This is true.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times
Quote:
Everyone. Country music is America's music. Bluegrass as well. Those are the only genre's of music truly native to America. And that genre is shared amongst both political parties, believe it or not.
And Jazz came from where?

The blues came from where?

Rock 'N Roll came from where?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,794,288 times
I highly doubt that's true.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times
Quote:
First of all, there are some very good country music stars that are very staunch Democrats like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw. Also, Brooks and Dunn are Democrats as well as the Dixie Chicks. Democrats like to look down on them as rednecks, but I think Dems could learn a thing or two. Maybe Democrats could learn to be a bit more country, embrace the second amendment, go hunting and enjoy true nature :P

In all honestly, I would like to get more liberals/Democrats involve in country and bluegrass music.
In all honesty I don't believe you have a very realistic view of just what liberals/Democrats are involved in.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 AM

11,091 posts, read 10,649,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The era of Johnny, Willie, Merle and Patsy produced some of the greatest music ever. Pretty much any country music before or since sucked. Thank God (or the great nuttin' for atheists) we got 97.1 here in Houston.

If I could personally strangle Garth Brooks and Shania Twain I would.

murder music row - Bing Videos

George Strait and Reba kinda caught the tail end of that era and produce some pretty good stuff. Taylor Swift should be drawn and quartered.

Edited to add:

and her remains fed to pigs.
There are a few country musicians out there that are still trying to stick to their roots. Not many, true, but a few.

Jamey Johnson, Shooter Jennings, Randy Houser, James Otto; all worth checking out in my opinion (especially Jamey Johnson, his sound is so Waylon-esque that it's spooky). A few others are backing off the pop sound on some of their songs at least, such as Jason Aldean and Joe Nichols. Blake Shelton is one who kind of walks the line between the two eras, with some songs sounding more like the older country style and some sounding a bit "garthish".

And if you start a petition on the Taylor Swift thing, I'll sign it. That woman irritates me to no end.

Re: the OP. I know just as many Dems as Reps that listen to country. I think the issue is more that country is once again waning in popularity than that a certain political party doesn't like it. All genres go through peaks and valleys in popularity every couple of decades or so, with some hardcore holdouts and some people like myself (I listen to just about any kind of music - except opera) who keep them alive through the waning periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies