Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times

Advertisements

I'm a Conservative and can't stand country music.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm sure this will all come as a great shock to country singin' Rhodes Scholar Kris Kristofferson
I am not stereotyping because I know too many people who like country, and few of them drive trucks, wear cowboy hats, etc. My wife is a country fan, and she is not a redneck, nor is she a Republican, or from the country, or whatever. She just likes light rock and folksy music, and country has a lot of that, or at the country she buys. I also never, ever diss country musicians, because there are many fantastic musicians in that particular genre. No big fan of the genre myself, but as a guitar player, Chet Atkins and Roy Clark are like required listening for any guitar player, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I like the country folks (Johnny, Hank Sr., Willie, Waylon, Kris, Merle, et al) who've walked the walk, the ones who merely talk the talk not so much.
FWIW, again no big fan of the genre, but any fan of music should have at least "At Folsom Prison" and "American Recordings" by Johnny Cash. Nothing but ups for the Man in Black.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Liberals need armies of straw men at the ready, to prop them up, and make them feel secure in the imagined superiority of their ideology and positions on the political issues.
The self-Righteous have vivid imaginations, not so many facts, but vivid imaginations.

Wanna make up some more imagined liberal behavior?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Not many country songs with lyrics about shooting cops, glamorize crime and drugs or are disrespectful towards women.
Well, Johnny Cash sung a song about doing a line of cocaine and shooting his woman down before fleeing to Mexico, another song about being sent to prison after shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die, and another song about shooting a woman twice for being cold and mean...

And I love Johnny Cash, though I'm just saying when he racks up a body count everyone just knows it's him storytelling.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The era of Johnny, Willie, Merle and Patsy produced some of the greatest music ever. Pretty much any country music before or since sucked. Thank God (or the great nuttin' for atheists) we got 97.1 here in Houston.

If I could personally strangle Garth Brooks and Shania Twain I would.

murder music row - Bing Videos

George Strait and Reba kinda caught the tail end of that era and produce some pretty good stuff. Taylor Swift should be drawn and quartered.

Edited to add:

and her remains fed to pigs.
This^^

I love country music pre-1980s basically(and some since, but very little). I know plenty of people who love Willie Nelson or Merle Haggard or Waylon Jennings. I love Buck Owens old Bakersfield sound stuff(Gram Parson and the Flying Burrito Brothers took that sound into country rock), I love old Hank Williams Sr stuff which is basically closer to old blues or folk than any modern country. I love bluegrass going back to Bill Monroe and Flatt and Scruggs and even some newer stuff.

Much of modern country is just pop music and not even very good pop music at that. They play country music in commercials for local auto parts stores where I live and it fits perfectly as bad commercial jingles or as muzak at a outlet mall or something. And I have friends who are liberal in their political bent who grew up loving Garth Brooks(can't stand most of that stuff though). I don't really like modern pop music in general though, most rock music that makes it in on the radio these days as well is pretty crappy. Most music I like is probably from over twenty to thirty years ago though with the exception of certain artists in certain genres.(And I'm only in my mid-thirties myself).

Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
This^^

I love country music pre-1980s basically(and some since, but very little). I know plenty of people who love Willie Nelson or Merle Haggard or Waylon Jennings. I love Buck Owens old Bakersfield sound stuff(Gram Parson and the Flying Burrito Brothers took that sound into country rock), I love old Hank Williams Sr stuff which is basically closer to old blues or folk than any modern country. I love bluegrass going back to Bill Monroe and Flatt and Scruggs and even some newer stuff.

Much of modern country is just pop music and not even very good pop music at that. They play country music in commercials for local auto parts stores where I live and it fits perfectly as bad commercial jingles or as muzak at a outlet mall or something. And I have friends who are liberal in their political bent who grew up loving Garth Brooks(can't stand most of that stuff though). I don't really like modern pop music in general though, most rock music that makes it in on the radio these days as well is pretty crappy. Most music I like is probably from over twenty to thirty years ago though with the exception of certain artists in certain genres.(And I'm only in my mid-thirties myself).
In fairness, the "pop-ification" and peddling of doggie poo garbage since the 70s/80s is not limited nor unique to country.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
First of all, there are some very good country music stars that are very staunch Democrats like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw. Also, Brooks and Dunn are Democrats as well as the Dixie Chicks. Democrats like to look down on them as rednecks, but I think Dems could learn a thing or two. Maybe Democrats could learn to be a bit more country, embrace the second amendment, go hunting and enjoy true nature :P

In all honestly, I would like to get more liberals/Democrats involve in country and bluegrass music.
Country music singers tend to be a tad more patriotic towards the country and conservative. Not all, but most......

Dixie chicks were libs.....

Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I'm a Conservative and can't stand country music.

So am I ......and don't like it either...........I like R&B (the old stuff) and Funk and New Jack Swing and Jazz.............

And those artists are libs.......

Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In fairness, the "pop-ification" and peddling of doggie poo garbage since the 70s/80s is not limited nor unique to country.
No, but to my ears, country music is a real egregious offender. There is good country music being produced but you won't find it anywhere near the country music radio stations or mainstream of Nashville. Modern country in general sounds corny as hell to me.

Most of the artists below are just one step removed from craptastic rock bands like Nickleback...

Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013 - YouTube

Old 02-07-2014, 09:06 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
current 'country' music is pretty lame. it cracks me up to listen to it at times though, hearing some suburban goofball struggle to sing as twangily as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies