Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I love all kinds of music (including some country) but if I could only listen to one genre the rest of my life it might have to be reggae.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't listen to it all day (unless I'm back in the Bahamas) but I could for a few hours. Gotta mix it up!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...most of what passes for "country" is just pop music with enough twang to put on the country charts. Dress the singer up in the proper western gear and you've got yourself a country super star

That stuff is hokie and boring as hell anyway. It's got a backbeat from another planet. And half the themes are laughable. Even when they try to be insurgent or rebellious, it comes off as corny.

I was in a restaurant not too long ago and they were playing nothing but country tunes, and some dumb song comes on about "I'll keep my God, guns and money, and you can keep the change."

Boy...that's original. Straight from the nearest bumper sticker although I'm sure some lame country fan thinks it's a hoot of a protest song.

I don't see music as conservative or liberal, but Republicans can have all the ownership of country they want. Be my guest.

I'm far kinder to bluegrass for obvious reasons...but that's another topic.
Most music is apolitical, music is music.

The greatest country performer is probably Johnny Cash, and his music has very liberal messages.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You describe the crap that passes of as Country these days. Too me it all sounds like rap with a cowboy hat.

The traditional folk / Country / Blue grass is real, tells a story that's often rooted in rural America, has been around longer than I remember. It's all about history and geography ., and affairs of the heart.......interesting thoughts though ,American Country is more popular in Europe than in the US , by population, down under too , I often wondered why? Yes , I am a died in the wool Democrat., as were most blue collar people , even more so in the cities than country settings ......Show me someone who does not like Gordon Lightfoot , Jimmy Buffet, john Denver , Dolly Parton , Allan Jackson , George Jones , Ray Price, Tobby Kieth , and Nanci Griffith and I will show you who is a fool, blinded by a narrow culture with little tolerance and go through life with , blinders and ear plugs, or a hearing ade that's needed because hard rock put them there.

I like

Gordon Lightfoot- Love that song Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald as I live in northeast Ohio, a Great Lakes state. Also like Sundown.

Jimmy Buffet- Love the song Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw. His other stuff is OK too. What is funny is I wasn't a huge fan, but he has sort of grown on me.

The others on the list are up for negotiation.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
I first voted in 79 as a democrat and have always been a democrat, as was my Mom. She listened almost solely to country and that is what I grew up on. I only have three albums on my iPod, one is Patsy Cline, the other is Trio, Da Da Da and the third is Queen. I also like reggae, disco, rock etc.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Most music is apolitical, music is music.

The greatest country performer is probably Johnny Cash, and his music has very liberal messages.
Ain't it the truth? Country music, especially in years gone by, is so much about the trials and tribulations of everyday people, complaining about lack of opportunity, low pay, and boss men who take advantage of the working man, and persecution of the working class. Conservatives hear that stuff, get angry, and then go vote for the party that is bought and paid for by the people who oppress them. It makes no sense at all. Woody Guthrie must be turning in his grave.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Since country music proliferates in the South and the South tends to vote Republican, I think there are likely more Republicans who appreciate country music than the Democratic base in the Northern part of the country.

On the other hand, as a southerner who knows many transplants to Texas, the Yankees learn to love country music with exposure to it, almost all of them.
This country has.more regions than north and south, and I've seen no evidence that country is more popular in the South than it is anywhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There are no ho's or ******* (rhymes with twitches) in country music.
Of course there are. I can think of a few...not just performers, but some fans of the genre as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You describe the crap that passes of as Country these days. Too me it all sounds like rap with a cowboy hat.

The traditional folk / Country / Blue grass is real, tells a story that's often rooted in rural America, has been around longer than I remember. It's all about history and geography ., and affairs of the heart.......interesting thoughts though ,American Country is more popular in Europe than in the US , by population, down under too , I often wondered why? Yes , I am a died in the wool Democrat., as were most blue collar people , even more so in the cities than country settings ......Show me someone who does not like Gordon Lightfoot , Jimmy Buffet, john Denver , Dolly Parton , Allan Jackson , George Jones , Ray Price, Tobby Kieth , and Nanci Griffith and I will show you who is a fool, blinded by a narrow culture with little tolerance and go through life with , blinders and ear plugs, or a hearing ade that's needed because hard rock put them there.
Ehhh...I can tolerate Lightfoot and Denver to a minor degree, but I'm no fan.

I'll stick to my faves...Miles, Trane, Clifford Brown, Brubeck, Monk, Bird, and Diz.

When country can approach that level of artistry (and it can't), get back to me.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Everyone. Country music is America's music. Bluegrass as well. Those are the only genre's of music truly native to America.
Except for blues, rock, and jazz.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When country can approach that level of artistry (and it can't), get back to me.
Leo Kottke and Steve Martin are the only country virtuosos I can think of off the top of my head, and Steve Martin's more a bluegrass musician.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
First of all, there are some very good country music stars that are very staunch Democrats like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw. Also, Brooks and Dunn are Democrats as well as the Dixie Chicks. Democrats like to look down on them as rednecks, but I think Dems could learn a thing or two. Maybe Democrats could learn to be a bit more country, embrace the second amendment, go hunting and enjoy true nature :P

In all honestly, I would like to get more liberals/Democrats involve in country and bluegrass music.
Who says Democrats don't like country and bluegrass?
Not me, for sure. I know just as many liberal bluegrassers as conservative bluegrassers. Same goes with country music. It all depends on who you ask and where they live. The players themselves differ just as much as the audience in their politics, but liberals and conservatives alike enjoy the music equally.

Music is always a bridge, not a divider. Those who make the music prefer to play music, not indulge in political discussion, when they get together. And these days, neither bluegrass nor country is what it used to be at all. Both have changed just as profoundly as rock and pop music have.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
True. Most country songs are about lovin', cheatin', drinkin', dogs and trucks. Love this music!
And don't forget momma, or prison, or trains! Dang, that just might make the perfect country and western song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies