Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:58 PM

518 posts, read 448,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Exactly. The stock market loved today's news:

Dow Jones 15,794.08 +165.55 (1.06%)
S&P 500 1,797.02 +23.59 (1.33%)
Nasdaq 4,125.86 +68.74 (1.69%)

The stock market also loves billions of dollars of federal dollars being pumped into it each month artificially propping up the market. Only problem is that only masks the real problems and creates an inevitable corrections or crash when we can no longer afford to keep pumping borrowed money into the system. Eventually you have 2008 all over again. It's not a question of if but when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,979,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I wonder if the drop in unemployment is a result of Congress not extending the longterm unemployment benefits. Those who exhausted their benefits would be dropped out of the workforce, statistically speaking, resulting in a reduce unemployment rate.
Your answer:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm

Quote:
What do the unemployment insurance (UI) figures measure?

These data are not used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:
  • Unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits
  • Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force)
  • Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job
  • Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits

Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Yet another reason why the Unemployment Rate is an increasingly useless statistic. When you have a long list of rules about how counts and who doesn't, how can you ever hope to be accurate?
See my previous response, in which I reference the BLS website as my source of information.

Never rely on what some forum member "thinks" the rules are.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,144,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
So I guess it is a good report then?
No, it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The so called real unemployment rate is still significantly lower than the middle of the Great Depression in 2008.

Much of the lower labor utilization rate is based on baby boomers retiring and the ever increasing number of kids and young adults who are in college.
No, it's based on the loss of 13 Million jobs.

The loss of those 13 Million jobs is what is causing you to drain the OADI, OASI and HI (Medicare) Trust Funds.

5% Unemployment without a corresponding 63.5% Employment-to-Population Ratio and a correspondingly high Labor Force Participation Rate (65%-66%) is a Massive Fail.

In plain English, you need 157 Million Americans working, not 143 Million.

Quote:
See my previous response, in which I reference the BLS website as my source of information.

Good...then you should know that "Seasonally Adjusted" is the same as Fantasy Unemployment....sort of like Fantasy Football, only different.

Really...

Mircea

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Good...then you should know that "Seasonally Adjusted" is the same as Fantasy Unemployment....sort of like Fantasy Football, only different.

Really...

Mircea
And you should know that the 897,000 jobs you complained about being lost in January 2014 is no different than the January job losses during previous 65 years, as I showed in this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/33373554-post78.html

Maybe you should do a little more research into typical January numbers, before you start complaining about them?

And by the way, the source of YOUR data and the source of MY data is exactly the same: LNU02000000

And it is NOT Seasonally Adjusted:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Quote:
Series Id: LNU02000000
Not Seasonally Adjusted
Series title:
(Unadj) Employment Level
Labor force status: Employed
Type of data: Number in thousands
Got any more "FANTASY" statements you wish to make?

Last edited by RD5050; 02-07-2014 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,147,092 times
Quote:
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Got any more "FANTASY" statements you wish to make?
116,000 new jobs under no logical scenario will cause unemployment to drop.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,837,717 times
Then people and government should stop complaining about jobs.... /end sarcasm

Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,726,146 times
Quote:

I have no idea where you're going with any of that. The underlying point is quite simple: The official Unemployment Rate does not actually measure the number of working-aged Americans that are unemployed. Because it does not, it is an unreliable statistic.

The BLS does provide us with the Labor Force Participation Rate. Democrats and Liberals absolutely hate the LFPR for one simple reason: It makes Obama look terrible. Tremendous efforts have been made to sell Americans on the absolutely false notion that Baby Boomer retirements only ever started happening on exactly January 20, 2009 -- the very instant that Obama took office. The Democrats desperately want everyone to believe that it's all just an unhappy coincidence. And let's be honest, the fact that the LFPR has been dropping so fast since January 2009 makes Obama look very bad.

Labor Force Participation Rate
Civilian labor force participation rate

The truth is, the BB'ers are working beyond retirement age in record numbers. For example, the percentage of Americans over 70 still working has nearly tripled.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-08-2014 at 04:36 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,309,740 times
Obama should have announced a jobs program during his speech last week, which could be financed entirely off budget by way of that giant river of money known as the Federal Reserve. If they can bail out banks including foreign banks with tens of trillions of dollars then the Federal Reserve can be commandeered to open up a infrastructure window and cough up a few trillion to put people back to work.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I have no idea where you're going with any of that.
You don't?

You replied to this post (in red):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee
I wonder if the drop in unemployment is a result of Congress not extending the longterm unemployment benefits. Those who exhausted their benefits would be dropped out of the workforce, statistically speaking, resulting in a reduce unemployment rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 Yet another reason why the Unemployment Rate is an increasingly useless statistic. When you have a long list of rules about how counts and who doesn't, how can you ever hope to be accurate?
And I showed using the BLS website, that texan2yankee did not know the rules concerning unemployment insurance, and in fact, had them wrong.

However you immediately believed texan2yankee's comment (in blue), and followed up with your red comment as if their blue comment was a fact.

How difficult is that to understand?

Quote:

The underlying point is quite simple: The official Unemployment Rate does not actually measure the number of working-aged Americans that are unemployed. Because it does not, it is an unreliable statistic.

The BLS does provide us with the Labor Force Participation Rate. Democrats and Liberals absolutely hate the LFPR for one simple reason: It makes Obama look terrible. Tremendous efforts have been made to sell Americans on the absolutely false notion that Baby Boomer retirements only ever started happening on exactly January 20, 2009 -- the very instant that Obama took office. The Democrats desperately want everyone to believe that it's all just an unhappy coincidence. And let's be honest, the fact that the LFPR has been dropping so fast since January 2009 makes Obama look very bad.

Labor Force Participation Rate
Civilian labor force participation rate

The truth is, the BB'ers are working beyond retirement age in record numbers. For example, the percentage of Americans over 70 still working has nearly tripled.
Every time the Unemployment Rate drops, the Obama haters always bring up the Labor Force Participation Rate.

It's their "canned response" whenever the Unemployment Rate argument doesn't go their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies