Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,250,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
With all the poverty, war, famine, displacement, homelessness, diseases, child molesters, gas prices, tewwowists, the war on christmas, etc.. who in their right mind has excellent mental health?

So, I guess this report is good for a pinko commie godless lib like me. I've got a feelings. Go figure!
The war on Christmas LOL Too funny!

Hey PHM do you say Merry Christmas? I'll bet you do? In fact I'll bet you and your family are decorating your tree tonight. Angel on top?

I bet today you strung lights outside your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:24 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,907,799 times
when you have firm opinions and mindsets.. its easy to stay the course... but if you make yourself actually understand issues and all the dynamics to form your opinions.. then of course there is a mental drain...
basically if you want to have a healthy mind.. go to church.. live in denial.. and ignore everything and everyone that talks about issues that question your beliefs.. that way your mental state stays in tact...
lol

sarcasm...

Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,415,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Wow if that's how you guys get reps. . .
It was spot on and hilarious to boot! How much higher of a standard is there supposed to be? Republicans not whiners...OYYYYY!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It was spot on and hilarious to boot! How much higher of a standard is there supposed to be? Republicans not whiners...OYYYYY!!!

Ah I guess we all have different standards.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
when you have firm opinions and mindsets.. its easy to stay the course... but if you make yourself actually understand issues and all the dynamics to form your opinions.. then of course there is a mental drain...
basically if you want to have a healthy mind.. go to church.. live in denial.. and ignore everything and everyone that talks about issues that question your beliefs.. that way your mental state stays in tact...
lol

sarcasm...
Are you saying that people who go to church live in denial????

Do you realize 70% of Americans call themselves Christians. I don't know the % that attend church but. . .

I assume your left leaning so lets see. . . Bill Clinton attends church, Billy Carter is baptist. . . Al Gore, do you believe they are in denial as well-or is it just Republicans who attend church?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:50 PM

you missed the last word there....

SARCASM

Old 12-01-2007, 05:51 PM

for the record.. everyone is in denial.. some just more than others...
and there are many factors that aid in the denial state of mind.. religion happens to be one of them... IN MY OPINION....

Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,273,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
How about this guys.
Let commit all the registered Dems & Repubs to mental health facilities for a 12 step program in responsible government. And in there absence we could let the Independents run the show for awhile.

So what do you say?
I say I just joined the Independent party.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,373,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yes, that is what a gallop poll is. . . it is self-reporting. Please explain how this negates the findings?

The article is not stating that republicans are more mentally fit than others, just that they rate themselves higher than others. It says a lot. They feel they are in a good place mentally. . . not whining, complaining etc. What's the old saying. . . perception is reality.
Take a psychology class and they will explain to you that when it comes to reporting certain things like ones mental health, that you can't rely self reporting. Ones own perception is not necessarily accurate. That leaves NO ROOM for the many psychiatric disorders in which denial and lack of self insight are a HUGE part of the symptomology.

Another topic we discussed that had a study based on self reporting was the size of a mans well you know, talent shall we say. The studies that relied on a trained clinician to do the measuring were found to be FAR more accurate then the ones that relied on self reporting.

Check out this link.
WHO/Europe - Mental health problems stigmatized, untreated, and underfunded: European health ministers meet to make far-reaching plans for change (http://www.euro.who.int/mediacentre/PR/2005/20050110_1 - broken link)

The World Health Organization states that "44-70% of people with mental health disorders receive no treatment at all."

This report of course refers to Europe where many countries have nationalized health and as a consequence where cost is not a concern. In the US the statistics are LIKELY to be much higher because "approximately 45.8 million people lack health insurance coverage".

45.8 Million in U.S. Now Lack Health Insurance

This link says that "studies show that at least one in five children and adolescents have a mental health disorder. At least one in 10, or about 6 million people, have a serious emotional disturbance." Studies that DO NOT rely on self reporting by the way. NO WAY that many people are getting treatment !

Children's and Adolescents' Mental Health, National Mental Health Information Center

This link below this paragraph is about a Presidential commission put together by Bush himself detailing the problems with mental health treatment in the US today.

"About 5 to 7 percent of American adults have serious mental illnesses, according to the report, and 5 to 9 percent of children suffer serious emotional disturbances. "

Major Change in Mental Health Care Is Urged - New York Times

People simply aren't getting the treatment they need to deal with mental health, therefore its EASY to assume that people who are left to self reporting are not necessarily going to be forthright about the problems they suffer with because of the stigma attached to admitting to mental illness AND as I mentioned before one of the main characteristics of many mental illnesses is lack of personal insight, as in they are not aware of just how far off of normal they are.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Take a psychology class and they will explain to you that when it comes to reporting certain things like ones mental health, that you can't rely self reporting. Ones own perception is not necessarily accurate. That leaves NO ROOM for the many psychiatric disorders in which denial and lack of self insight are a HUGE part of the symptomology.
LindseyMcfarren
Yes, I have taken my fair share of psych classes, and understand self-reporting (as we discussed earlier) but you guys all need to take a chill pill!

You are all taking yourselves entirely too seriously. . . Does this gallop survey upset you that much?

If a person gauges their mental health in a positive light it shows that have a positve attitude regarding life in general. And if one is health mentally they usually are healthier physically as well.

And that is my final word on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies