Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Ok , put it a different way, forget the boy friends , say I was a straight woman dying and wanted my straight girl friend to get my pension after I'm dead, for that to happen we could just pretend to be gay and marry .
And a dying gay man could marry his female friend to grant her his pension, right?

You still haven't answered how one proves they are really straight, if they are getting benefits that require that their heterosexual marriage be genuine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Out of your pocket.
How? We gay people pay into the tax system too. If anything it has been gays paying for the benefits that straight people have been taking advantage of, thus special rights for straight people.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Ok , put it a different way, forget the boy friends , say I was a straight woman dying and wanted my straight girl friend to get my pension after I'm dead, for that to happen we could just pretend to be gay and marry .
So, two straight people can pretend they love each other and marry for the benefits. What does being gay have to do with it?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And a dying gay man could marry his female friend to grant her his pension, right?

You still haven't answered how one proves they are really straight, if they are getting benefits that require that their heterosexual marriage be genuine.
Hard to prove that also .

Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM

878 posts, read 942,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If Holder truly cared he would appeal something to the Supreme Court so we could get a definitive ruling already and be done with it.
I detest almost everything about your politics, but in this one case, you hit the nail on the head and in fact, I believe what you wrote there exemplifies the weakness of the current administration.

If Obama was serious about anything resembling a progressive agenda (he isn't), he'd have stood up to your side when he had the legislative branch during 2009-2010, stood on your collective necks with a pair of Tony Lamas, there would have been no need to remove the filibuster.

We're on different sides of the fence but we share the desire to see Obama do SOMETHING, even if he has to do it via the executive order. Won't last forever but once something becomes a part of the culture (there's no guarantee it would, the public is notoriously fickle), some things might have gotten done. You might not have liked them but the gridlock is destroying the country.

As it is, both of us have a lot to b*tch about with the current administration, just different things.

I still believe eventually, the US will split apart, geographically, but it will be bloodier than 1860-1865.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't see this as saying much. If they are in states where same sex marriage is illegal then they are not same sex spouses and the rules mean nothing.

If Holder truly cared he would appeal something to the Supreme Court so we could get a definitive ruling already and be done with it.
Holder just can't appeal something to the Supreme Court. He [the US Government] has have some standing in a case. The appeals system goes through the courts not the USDOJ.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 AM

447 posts, read 495,944 times
As an independent liberal, I condemn all of those nonsense challenge to culture tradition. This is just like "cultural revolution" , an extremism I can't support. I can keep silent when they use civil union or invent other term. Note my stand has nothing to do with Bible or other doctrine.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
As an independent liberal, I condemn all of those nonsense challenge to culture tradition. This is just like "cultural revolution" , an extremism I can't support. I can keep silent when they use civil union or invent other term. Note my stand has nothing to do with Bible or other doctrine.
Uh huh. Then why? Keeping in mind that this is not about gay marriage but rather benefits to same sex couples. You can't support it because...?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why do you think gay couples should be forced to pay for those benefits, but not be eligible to receive them?

Why should gay couples be expected to subsidize benefits for heterosexual couples?

Why should singles be forced to subsidize same-sex couples?

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-10-2014 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: vulgar

Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
At least there is one good thing this administration is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies