Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

In my lifetime I have seen incredible advancements in science and technology. The bulk of these advancements have IMO increased the quality of life for most people. Such advancements would include: Medical advancements, Safer vehicles, improved law enforcement etc. I personally have enjoyed seeing the human race advance, But then something happened about 20 years ago. The internet became a normal part of our lives. Suddenly the world became a very small place. Combine this with cell phones and bam................where all connected. I honestly feel bad for kids these days. They literally have no privacy anymore, and once they mess up, it will follow them forever. I couldn't imagine facing the fear of being beat up at school and having it put on the internet, getting a minor offense or messing up my credit and having it become public information for anyone to see. I would hate trying to date girls that are so over stimulated by social media by their smart phones that a guy might not ever be able to keep their attention. I see this with my nieces. They're so overstimulated that the dating game has become far to complex for them to handle, as the amount of attention they receive from various guys throughout the day, is messing up their perception of attraction and relationships. I see the stress that comes with these technologies literally breaking people. I don't ever remember people as a collective whole being so stressed out. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is no such thing as time away from work anymore.

does anyone else feel the same way about the direction technology is taking us?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
In my lifetime I have seen incredible advancements in science and technology. The bulk of these advancements have IMO increased the quality of life for most people. Such advancements would include: Medical advancements, Safer vehicles, improved law enforcement etc. I personally have enjoyed seeing the human race advance, But then something happened about 20 years ago. The internet became a normal part of our lives. Suddenly the world became a very small place. Combine this with cell phones and bam................where all connected. I honestly feel bad for kids these days. They literally have no privacy anymore, and once the mess up, it will follow them forever. I couldn't imagine facing the fear of being beat up at school and having it put on the internet, getting a minor offense or messing up my credit and having it become public information for anyone to see. I would hate trying to date girls that are so over stimulated by social media and their smart phones that a guy might not ever be able to keep their attention. I see this with my nieces. They're so overstimulated that the dating game has become far to complex for them to handle, as the amount of attention they receive from various guys throughout the day, is messing up their perception of attraction and relationships. I see the stress that comes with these technologies literally breaking people. I don't ever remember people as a collective whole being so stressed out. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is no such thing as time away from work anymore.

I ditch my cell phone whenever I can.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
I love the technology we have now but really don't want technology to progress much further, except in medicine.

I don't really see what could be created or invented next that isn't just creepy.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
In my lifetime I have seen incredible advancements in science and technology. The bulk of these advancements have IMO increased the quality of life for most people. Such advancements would include: Medical advancements, Safer vehicles, improved law enforcement etc. I personally have enjoyed seeing the human race advance, But then something happened about 20 years ago. The internet became a normal part of our lives. Suddenly the world became a very small place. Combine this with cell phones and bam................where all connected. I honestly feel bad for kids these days. They literally have no privacy anymore, and once they mess up, it will follow them forever. I couldn't imagine facing the fear of being beat up at school and having it put on the internet, getting a minor offense or messing up my credit and having it become public information for anyone to see. I would hate trying to date girls that are so over stimulated by social media by their smart phones that a guy might not ever be able to keep their attention. I see this with my nieces. They're so overstimulated that the dating game has become far to complex for them to handle, as the amount of attention they receive from various guys throughout the day, is messing up their perception of attraction and relationships. I see the stress that comes with these technologies literally breaking people. I don't ever remember people as a collective whole being so stressed out. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is no such thing as time away from work anymore.

I don't think it is technology in general....it is just those silly "phones".

Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 AM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Keeping my old jeep and truck.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Is technology making the world a less enjoyable place to live?
For old guys like me, who grew up with landline phones, cassette tapes, and analog TV; yes.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't think it is technology in general....it is just those silly "phones".
amen to that

Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Technology will continue to destroy jobs faster and in greater numbers than they're being created.

This is the subject that everyone in the government avoids - Democrats and Republicans.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
For old guys like me, who grew up with landline phones, cassette tapes, and analog TV; yes.
Damn, you must have been one of those rich people my parents told me about!

I grew up with a rotary phone (party-line, at that), no TV, and an 8-track player.....lol. My parents were not early adopters of any tech, a trend that they continue to this day.

On one hand, I feel bad for my kids because of techhnology, and in some ways I am envious of them. They've never really known anything less than cable-modem speeds in connecting to the internet, so they missed out on the days of dial-up. But as we moved from one state to another, they were able to keep in touch with friends/family via webcam, email,, etc., which is something that was not possible when I was a kid.

Technology has shifted the means of communication/information distribution, and I think that's a good thing.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Damn, you must have been one of those rich people my parents told me about!

I grew up with a rotary phone (party-line, at that), no TV, and an 8-track player.....lol. My parents were not early adopters of any tech, a trend that they continue to this day.

On one hand, I feel bad for my kids because of techhnology, and in some ways I am envious of them. They've never really known anything less than cable-modem speeds in connecting to the internet, so they missed out on the days of dial-up. But as we moved from one state to another, they were able to keep in touch with friends/family via webcam, email,, etc., which is something that was not possible when I was a kid.

Technology has shifted the means of communication/information distribution, and I think that's a good thing.
i also grew up with landlines, analog TV, 8 track tapes, transistor radios, etc. it isnt the technology per say, but rather the idiocy of how some people use that technology. with the old rotary phones, a kid calling china was an event that took some time to set up, and execute. today however you just push a few buttons and get it done. in the old days phone pranks were anonymous, because of no caller ID, and no way to block numbers. today, they are not so easy to get away with.

as with anything, technology has good and bad points, and we have to deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies