Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:26 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Couldn't they have gave the Giraffe away to another zoo to prevent genetic problems.....how about the ole snip-snip????

NOT LIKE THIS, NOT LIKE THIS............this gentle and very human-like Giraffe did not deserve this nightmarish end!
There were so many different ways besides this barbaric end for such a gentle, innocent animal - only a year and a half old. I saw this on Inside Edition - you would think by now we would not be as shocked as we were because animal cruelty is in the news almost daily, but the way that employee was said to describe the killing sounded so cold and detached. I couldn't believe little kids were there to watch. I keep seeing the giraffe pattern on the dead carcass, and just a few pictures ago, he was looking so cute with those long lashes. It made me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Is there a difference between Cows and Giraffes ?

Both are slaughtered for food.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is there a difference between Cows and Giraffes ?

Both are slaughtered for food.
They are endangered and cows are not. The zoo could have fed the lions much longer with the $680,000 they were offered for the giraffe, so it was not a fiscally wise choice. They made it a public spectacle.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:07 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I find this messed up. Yes, lions eat giraffes. But they do that in nature. They don't have a giraffe killed with a pistol and fed to them on a silver platter. This is not nature taking its course. This is people killing a giraffe and feeding it to lions.

If they did not want this giraffe to breed, they could have just neutered it. They took a creature out of nature just to kill it and feed it to lions.

So the lions, in the zoo, the same lions that were fed the giraffe, hunt for their food every day?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
There were so many different ways besides this barbaric end for such a gentle, innocent animal - only a year and a half old. I saw this on Inside Edition - you would think by now we would not be as shocked as we were because animal cruelty is in the news almost daily, but the way that employee was said to describe the killing sounded so cold and detached. I couldn't believe little kids were there to watch. I keep seeing the giraffe pattern on the dead carcass, and just a few pictures ago, he was looking so cute with those long lashes. It made me sick.

So sad, why did they choose THIS horrible option?????

And as a topper, the greedy, barbaric and immoral Lionstinkers were gorging their guts out on the remains of the poor Giraffe...........not a care in the world, sick. Much of my anger is towards the filthy and barbaric Lionstinkers.....they seem like such wicked and barbaric creatures!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Giraffes are, for the most part, an endangered species.
Giraffes are in no way whatsoever endangered.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I find this messed up. Yes, lions eat giraffes. But they do that in nature. They don't have a giraffe killed with a pistol and fed to them on a silver platter. This is not nature taking its course. This is people killing a giraffe and feeding it to lions.

If they did not want this giraffe to breed, they could have just neutered it. They took a creature out of nature just to kill it and feed it to lions.
Ah, so you're one that would have preferred that the giraffe was let loose so that the lions could have done it themselves just like 'in nature'.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Toby, one of the lions that benefited from the death of the giraffe, issued a statement this morning:

"I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the death of Marius. I mean, Marius was a swell giraffe, so far as giraffes go. Of course, Marius and I did not see 'eye to eye' on many things, and not just because he was eleven feet taller than me!

We were all, of course, shocked when the zoo authorities announced that Marius had been sentenced to death, apparently due to some 'genetic' reason (which I don't pretend to understand, although a lot of the monkees think they know all about it; they don't).

It was a bit jarring to hear the hyena's scream 'dead giraffe walking' anytime Marius walked by. I don't think Marius understood what they meant, since Marius was not the sharpest giraffe in the tower (which is what you call a gathering of giraffes, in case you didn't know).

Anyway, the pride was both delighted and alarmed when snot-nose (one of the zookeepers; I don't know his name) informed us that Marius was going to be chopped up and fed to us after he was 'put down', as snot-nose called it. Most of the pride were eager to have a taste of Marius. However, a few of us, me included, were disturbed. I mean, it is not like we had a fair chase through the African plains to catch, kill and eat Marius (giraffes are actually quite quick on their feet). We would have all understood that, including, I like to think, Marius.

Now, when ferret-breath (another zookeeper) tossed me Marius's right thigh, all fresh and bloody, my first thought was to refuse to eat, out of protest. My instinct, however, came flashing forward, and before I knew it I had the whole thing in my mouth, my cheeks bulging out like a hamster. I will note that giraffe thigh is the best part of a giraffe, and Marius, bless him, was no exception. Aggie, one of the lioness's, got a piece of neck, about two yards total, but still, very little meat. The marrow is good, however.

Anyway, some are now blaming us lions for actually eating Marius. I see their point, for I pride myself on seeing all sides of an issue (I see I made a pun!). However, one must recall that we lions did not kill Marius and we had nothing, I repeat, nothing, to do with his execution. Refusing to eat would not have brought Marius back.

My point: Marius was dead. It was a sad situation, but there it is. True, we could have held a proper funeral, as some have suggested. However, I think Marius would have preferred to have his body chopped up and given to us lions. Circle of life and all that.

Don't listen to the tigers who, since they were not offered any part of Marius, take a phony 'high ground', saying that they would not have stooped to eating a fellow zoo inmate. I know tigers. I have lived with tigers for years. They would have eaten Marius, or even snot-nose or ferret-breath, at the drop of an ax."

Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
If they stop killing animals the meat eating zoo critters are going to die.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
This story makes me sick. I still can't believe they'd choose to kill this healthy, young, innocent giraffe when there were so many other more humane options to choose from. They should be ashamed and punished for this barbaric act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies