Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As adults we know lions kill and eat all sorts of animals and they don't walk up to bowls of Lion Kibble in the world. But children do not need to see a giraffe skinned and then cut up and fed to lions. I would have been appalled if I had my children there and this happened.

Danish Zoo Kills Giraffe to Prevent Inbreeding - ABC News
Couldn't you have taken your children away if you didn't want them to learn this lesson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are endangered and cows are not. The zoo could have fed the lions much longer with the $680,000 they were offered for the giraffe, so it was not a fiscally wise choice. They made it a public spectacle.
Giraffes are NOT endangered! Not all animals in zoos are endangered, in fact, most aren't. The giraffe is in a zoo because people who can't afford to travel to Africa on safari can pay the entrance fee to a zoo. Cows aren't in zoos (usually) because most people can just drive, take a bus, or take a train to a nearby pasture and see a cow for free.

There's nothing that made Marius more special than a cow, a chicken, or a pig, other than the novelty of being a giraffe in an area where most people don't see giraffes regularly.

I said it earlier, but in case people didn't read it, here it is again: This zoo, and most zoos (if not all) cull animals regularly. Cull = kill. This is done ALL THE TIME. No one gives a crap if the zoo is culling zebras, antelopes, bison, etc. They only care because Marius was large and cute, but mostly, they only care because the story gained traction in the news.

Marius The Giraffe Not The Only Animal Culled By Zoos | TIME.com

http://www.vortex10.org/Lacy/Reprint...%20Animals.pdf

Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As adults we know lions kill and eat all sorts of animals and they don't walk up to bowls of Lion Kibble in the world. But children do not need to see a giraffe skinned and then cut up and fed to lions. I would have been appalled if I had my children there and this happened.

Danish Zoo Kills Giraffe to Prevent Inbreeding - ABC News
video is online, he didnt look skinned to me.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
video is online, he didnt look skinned to me.
The giraffe was killed, this was not viewed by the public. They did an autopsy, people were allowed to watch the autopsy if they wanted. During the autopsy they explained the anatomy of the giraffe, and onlookers were invited to ask questions. It was meant to be an educational experience for the onlookers, and observers have stated that the children were interested and asked questions. Parents could choose whether or not they wanted their children to watch. After the autopsy they fed the remains to the lions. It wasn't some violent, gruesome display of murder and dismemberment.

I understand people are upset that a cute giraffe was killed, but the zoo felt this was the best option. Many who would buy it would give the giraffe a cruel miserable life. A humane death is better than a miserable life. If people really care about animals they should explore the miserable lives of the animals they eat, the birds used for down, and the many instances of cruelty towards companion animals. There is so much real cruelty going on every day, but no one seems to care about that.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 PM

32,063 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
He was most likely the only male in the herd ... the rest were likely his mom & 1/2 sisters. They didn't Want HIM to produce inbred offspring with genic problems!
BTW they Do feed the Lions Horses & Cows & Hogs & Chickens! Wheres the uproar in that? Even to Zoo animals in the USA!
If that's the case, why not kill him when he was born instead of waiting until he was 2. What was the zoo's purpose of waiting. The uproar is about killing a healthy animal for no good reason other it didn't fit into the zoo's agenda.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If that's the case, why not kill him when he was born instead of waiting until he was 2. What was the zoo's purpose of waiting. The uproar is about killing a healthy animal for no good reason other it didn't fit into the zoo's agenda.
Now you're complaining because they let him live??

Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Zoo giraffe killed, then skinned and fed to lions in front of audience at zoo
I don't get the skinning part. In nature lions don't feats on neatly skinned steak, they tear pray apart with their teeth. They should have relasesd the living giraffe in the lions den to make it more realistic.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Denmark zoo might kill another giraffe called Marius - CBS News

I am speechless.

Seriously, is there some inbreeding going on in the Danish human population that make them think this kind of stuff is okay? Some cold blooded folks over there.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Anybody had any success making lions into vegetarians?
I hate to mention it, but they need meat and it's going to have to be one animal or another that makes it on the menu.
To save the giraffes, maybe a some poster here could pledge to stand in for the giraffe?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Really. Lions have been fed meat for years. WHEN was the animal ever slaughtered in front of the public. These Danes have no sense of decorum at all. If kids want to see how lions really eat, there are endless nature specials on TV. I watch them. And parents can CHOOSE what the kids see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies