Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Those with money get to make the rules.
"Green" trumps your skin color each and every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Horror as family of four among six killed in 'drunk driver wrong-way pileup' on California highway | Mail Online

These are identical incidents. Both were drunk, both killed multiple people.

If you guys remember, affluenza white boy is spending his time at a retreat in California trying to reach his inner self or something like that for an indefinite period of time.

I don't think you'll see the same outcome with this minority(can't tell if she's hispanic or black)

The question is do you think she should go away for 20 like the white boy in Texas should have?

If we have equal justice, this girl should be let off like the white kid in Texas though.

If it was up to me, I'd rescind that white boy's ruling in TX and put him away for 20 years, same with this girl in Cali, but what I say doesn't matter since I'm not a judge and the ruling is final.

The question is this. Should the minority receive the same punishment that the white boy in Texas did, or should she go away for 20 years, which I would've done if I was the judge in either case.

If she gets the same sentence, it proves the justice system is a joke. If she gets 20 years, it proves the justice system is racist.

Lose, lose.
First of all, you have to be wealthy or come from a wealthy family to use the affluenza defense. I don't know the girls background, but she may go away for a long time. That is not to say I agree with the affluenza case, I think he should be put away for a long time also. Money talks Bro!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
The guy in Texas absolutely should have been sent to prison, just as the driver in the above-mentioned case(s). Unfortunately, this is not the way of the world and nothing will change it aside from mandatory minimum sentences. With mandatory minimums, you'll certainly anger a bunch of rights advocates, but you'll at least have some truth in sentencing.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
besides the fact that we're talking about 3 different sets of state law .. the situations leading up to these collisions were different.

i suppose the judges in question consider a legal adult driving 100mph down the wrong way of the interstate to be worse than an intoxicated minor driving 70 in a 45.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
besides the fact that we're talking about 3 different sets of state law .. the situations leading up to these collisions were different.

i suppose the judges in question consider a legal adult driving 100mph down the wrong way of the interstate to be worse than an intoxicated minor driving 70 in a 45.
agreed.

the OP is merely using this case as a soapbox atop which to squeal 'racism!'

the usual.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
agreed.

the OP is merely using this case as a soapbox atop which to squeal 'racism!'

the usual.
yeah. the only other case the OP's article mentions is a crash in Florida that happened yesterday, that i was reading about this morning. Here is the video :

Wrong way crash kills 5 on I-275 in Tampa FL - Explosion captured on video! Crazy - YouTube

Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody here supported letting the first guy off with a slap on the wrist.

I support ending the judges ability to make such asinine rulings. We can't change it now but we can change judges.
Agreed.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Horror as family of four among six killed in 'drunk driver wrong-way pileup' on California highway | Mail Online

These are identical incidents. Both were drunk, both killed multiple people.

If you guys remember, affluenza white boy is spending his time at a retreat in California trying to reach his inner self or something like that for an indefinite period of time.

I don't think you'll see the same outcome with this minority(can't tell if she's hispanic or black)

The question is do you think she should go away for 20 like the white boy in Texas should have?

If we have equal justice, this girl should be let off like the white kid in Texas though.

If it was up to me, I'd rescind that white boy's ruling in TX and put him away for 20 years, same with this girl in Cali, but what I say doesn't matter since I'm not a judge and the ruling is final.

The question is this. Should the minority receive the same punishment that the white boy in Texas did, or should she go away for 20 years, which I would've done if I was the judge in either case.

If she gets the same sentence, it proves the justice system is a joke. If she gets 20 years, it proves the justice system is racist.

Lose, lose.
The 21-year-old driver of a Chevrolet Camaro who is suspected of DUI and causing a three-car pileup in Diamond Bar on Sunday morning that killed six people has a previous conviction for driving under the influence, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Olivia Carolee Culbreath was just 17 years old when she was convicted in a San Bernardino juvenile court on April 13, 2010, of driving drunk, DMV officials said. She was cited for traffic violations at least two more times before her license was reinstated in December 2011, state records show.

The restrictions on Culbreath's license were lifted last week, the DMV said.

Suspect in wrong-way crash has previous DUI conviction, records show - latimes.com

She had one conviction for DUI before. They should throw the book at her.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Suspect in wrong-way crash has previous DUI conviction, records show - latimes.com

She had one conviction for DUI before. They should throw the book at her.
This...I remember before they got tough on DUI's people could have a half dozen DUI's and still
legally drive. Sounds like this girl and anyone else in the same situation should lose their license
for at least a decade.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM

29 posts, read 106,938 times
neither option proves the justice system is racist... stop yelling racist. its VERY annoying.

anyway, what it does prove is that our justice system is a joke. That stupid kid in Tx should've been given life in prison for causing all the death and so should this other kid.

besides, the incidents took place in different states and each does things their own way... which imo is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies