Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Right, because spending money fixes everything. That's why the US spends more than any other country in the world on education, yet the US ranks 30th in mathematics.

But spending fixes everything. Just blindly throw money around.

Wonderful. You are a genius. You should start writing text books.

In fact, maybe we could set something up to where I could get your autograph. It must be worth BILLIONS!
Those are the kind of people currently in charge.
Never question, never audit, never cut. The answer to everything is "more money".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those are the kind of people currently in charge.
Never question, never audit, never cut. The answer to everything is "more money".
That's because they're used to somebody else paying for them.

Whether it was daddy and mommy or the tax payers through the use of subsidized student loans, which cause interest inflation and raise the cost of tuition for more prudent people, they always get someone to do it for them.

urbanlife probably never worked a hard day of labor in his life.

Imagine if you never had to work. How would your outlook change?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What happens to the $12/hour EMS worker employed by the county (our county in fact had "help wanted" to this effect, under the proposed $15/hour minimum wage)? Can municipalities get an exemption? What about Detroit city workers? What happens when municipalities are broke and cannot afford to pay that kind of money for each worker? What should our county funded EMS worker get, since they have more experience that a fry cook?
I can relate to that. Our county Moore, has been looking for PT bus drivers with CPR training and they are wanting to pay $8.50 an hr. Are they nuts? No way do I take a part time job 20 miles from my house for $8.50 an hr. They advertise that job opening every month. Probably because nobody ever stays more than a month.
I know wages are lower in the South but business charges as if everybody is working full time for 50K a year.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Who said they can't afford it ?
They can and they are with their budgets.

And how do you know the next raise in taxes won't put people "beyond reach" ?
The first thing out of your mouth was about supporting a raise in taxes.
Now you're backing off ?
Sounds like you should take this issue up with your city council or find a small town that better reflects your views.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I can relate to that. Our county Moore, has been looking for PT bus drivers with CPR training and they are wanting to pay $8.50 an hr. Are they nuts? No way do I take a part time job 20 miles from my house for $8.50 an hr. They advertise that job opening every month. Probably because nobody ever stays more than a month.
I know wages are lower in the South but business charges as if everybody is working full time for 50K a year.
That is all paid for out of property taxes.
Teachers aren't making all that much either.
But the COL is lower, homes are cheaper, even utilities are cheaper.

Bus drivers are p/t work and is very transient.
Who wants to wake up and be at the bus barn at 5:30am 5 days a week ?

I remember when my son took the bus one year because we nicknamed all the bus drivers that year.
Mean bus lady, hippy guy, mad roy and then grandpa in the course of less than 10 months.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Right, because spending money fixes everything. That's why the US spends more than any other country in the world on education, yet the US ranks 30th in mathematics.

But spending fixes everything. Just blindly throw money around.

Wonderful. You are a genius. You should start writing text books.

In fact, maybe we could set something up to where I could get your autograph. It must be worth BILLIONS!
Depends on the situation, our need to focus so much time on standardized testing is what hurts our schools, not paying EMS workers enough hurts trying to find reliable people.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I was rural. What the heck are you talking about..urban growth boundaries ?
California developers swooped in and bought up farmland and plopped down subdivisions and "they came".

The transplants invaded and won and now they are fighting among themselves about what happened to drive costs up so much. Go over to the Austin forum and see a few threads.

I did move and paying 1/3 the property taxes now.
Maybe you should study Oregon urban growth boundaries and you would know what I am talking about. If Austin had an urban growth boundary, you would still be living in rural land because it would have been near impossible for a developer to purchase that rural land for sub-developments, but then you would tell me that went against capitalism, and I would tell you you get what you asked for.

So you did move, but you moved to a place that was just as liberal? Is it hard for you to find actual conservative places in the conservative mecca?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sounds like you should take this issue up with your city council or find a small town that better reflects your views.
Sounds more like you're backing off your off the hip comment about supporting a rise in taxes for higher salaries.

If you keep voting YES for every bond referendum and every salary increase eventually you will price out people.
Then one day you will get priced out. You really need to think before saying "Support higher taxes" all the time.

I found a small town that better appreciates their spending rather than eying my wallet.
And I made sure I was nowhere near transplant sprawl.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
That's because they're used to somebody else paying for them.

Whether it was daddy and mommy or the tax payers through the use of subsidized student loans, which cause interest inflation and raise the cost of tuition for more prudent people, they always get someone to do it for them.

urbanlife probably never worked a hard day of labor in his life.

Imagine if you never had to work. How would your outlook change?
That would be a false assumption on your part, I was raised in a middle class Irish family who believed you earned what you work for. I have had a few labor intensive jobs over the years. Have you?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Sounds more like you're backing off your off the hip comment about supporting a rise in taxes for higher salaries.

If you keep voting YES for every bond referendum and every salary increase eventually you will price out people.
Then one day you will get priced out. You really need to think before saying "Support higher taxes" all the time.

I found a small town that better appreciates their spending rather than eying my wallet.
And I made sure I was nowhere near transplant sprawl.
If your city is having a hard time filling needed positions because the pay is too low, then I support a tax increase that would help make those needed jobs more attractive. I haven't changed my position, you are just assuming I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies