Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
That works for the McMansion six figure income cubicle drones living in Cary, but doesn't work as well for the Franklin County folks North of them.

Oh, and backwoods Franklin county costs more in property taxes (within city limits) than Wake County where Research Triangle Park is located, because corporations are paying the tax there. A $15/hr minimum wage will mean a lot more towns getting incorporated by the county.
Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Okay.
Thank you for your agreement.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Well, there will be less EMT's, and other skilled jobs like this.

Why? B/c being an EMT is stressful and requires training, education, etc. That is rewarded in making almost double what a minimum wage worker makes. So to keep wages relative, you would need to raise that EMT wage to ~$28 / hour. That won't happen. So people lose the incentive of going through more education, taking on higher stress, etc. when they would just make the same amount of money flipping burgers.

(EMT may not be the best example, b/c some are drawn by the good nature of the job).

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Well, there will be less EMT's, and other skilled jobs like this.

Why? B/c being an EMT is stressful and requires training, education, etc. That is rewarded in making almost double what a minimum wage worker makes. So to keep wages relative, you would need to raise that EMT wage to ~$28 / hour. That won't happen. So people lose the incentive of going through more education, taking on higher stress, etc. when they would just make the same amount of money flipping burgers.

(EMT may not be the best example, b/c some are drawn by the good nature of the job).
EMTs are paid too little now for the type of high stress work they do. I use to work with a guy when I was a valet who use to be an EMT and made more money and less stress parking cars and moving people's bags.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
let's see

currently the min wage is 7.30....and I make 28.80 per hour.... about 4 times the min wage

if min wage is set at $15/hr then I should make 60/hr

fair is fair

Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
let's see

currently the min wage is 7.30....and I make 28.80 per hour.... about 4 times the min wage

if min wage is set at $15/hr then I should make 60/hr

fair is fair
Well propose that to your employer and see what they tell you. I am curious what your employer tells you.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Minimum wage should either be eliminated, or set to a level seen during the Reagan years, and allowed to aufitomatically increase with inflation.

And yes, it'd need to be increased now to reach the level of the early 80s.
I have no problem with an increase, but it should be at the state of local level. The cost of living in one locale, as we know, can be 2 or even 3 times higher than another. We also have to remember, and too many can't get this in their heads: a min wage is not supposed to be a living wage. It is for first time workers and those who just want a second part time job.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
EMTs are paid too little now for the type of high stress work they do.
We don't draft EMTs.

Their wages are set by the Laws of Economics, but obviously you know better, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

You obviously missed the mocking deadpan humor of my post.
I was asleep at the wheel.

A thousands pardons....

Mircea

Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Well propose that to your employer and see what they tell you. I am curious what your employer tells you.
well then, that settles it

only idiots would purpose 15/hr for UNSKILLED LABOR

federal min wage should be ZERO

Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If the minimum wage goes up, those workers will have to expect either working harder to earn their keep or be laid off. And customers will have to deal with longer waits in line for their purchases. With cashiers, there will be less of them in the long run as businesses implement more self-checkout lines.
You have no idea how economics works, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies