Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Once again many conservatives are supporting a losing position that many people who are native American find racist and offensive over a football team's name.
You answered your own question.

The other side's argument is basically forget those people, we will keep the name because we want to keep it.

It's all about pissing off people who they view as inferior and powerless. Everything else they bloviate about in defense of this "position" of theirs is just window dressing to hide this basic fact.

You should have seen the other thread about this recently … posters calling mohawkx "kemosabe" and telling him to "smoke a peace pipe," and announcing that no one cares about the stupid Native Americans anyway, and football traditions are MUCH more important than understanding a minority's issues, and hey, those Indians killed people, dammit! They deserve to be demeaned!

Ugh, just typing that stuff makes me want to take a shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
A losing position? 10% of Native Americans have a problem with the name and they represent a minuscule part of the population.
10% of the people they've asked. I'd love to find out if anyone has been on a rez lately to ask those folks about it. But since those who've been stashed on the rez for generations aren't always fans of us white folks, I bet no one would dare.

Anyway, it all boils down to the fact that football is way more important than some stupid ol' Injuns, right?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
10% of the people they've asked. I'd love to find out if anyone has been on a rez lately to ask those folks about it. But since those who've been stashed on the rez for generations aren't always fans of us white folks, I bet no one would dare.

Anyway, it all boils down to the fact that football is way more important than some stupid ol' Injuns, right?

only sissies worry about such nonsense.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
A lot of rabid liberals with empty lives, apparently.
Must be why the letter was co-written by a rabid republican, eh?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
only sissies worry about such nonsense.
"Sissies"? And all this time I thought you were well beyond fifth grade. My bad.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

Yes, our traditions are more important than the feelings of 10 percent of .8 percenct of the population. Don't like it? Don't watch football.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Not only should Professional teams not be tax exempt, I want to know who was convinced that I should be charged a 10.00 local sports team fee to my TV provider when I never watch a game.
As for the name, IMHO if it was a problem to American Indians we would have know it by now, that name has been used in sports for Centuries. Teams used it because it represented Courage, Determination and Warrior, I think the fact teams are still using it is a compliment.

Last edited by casper324; 02-11-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I just heard one of my senators, Maria Cantwell, interviewed about this on NPR. She is leading the charge, she says, because there are so many tribes in Washington state. She said she has sent a letter to the NFL commish asking that the name be changed. Now I agree that the name should be changed if people find it offensive. Nobody else uses that word any more. Why? Because it is widely considered to be offensive.

However, how is it not a clear violation of the First Amendment for members of congress to be pressuring for a name change? This is just like when Harry Reid and a bunch of Dem Senators sent a letter to Rush Limbaugh's syndicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press
By throwing their weight around to pressure people to alter their speech, Reid, Cantwell, & Co. are clearly in violation of the spirit of the First Amendment. I remember a time when Democrats were champions of the First Amendment. That time is long gone.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Kinda a stupid argument, when the desire to get it changed is supported by a democrat and a republican.
There are exceptions, but the people who are fighting for the Redskins to keep the name are either Redskin fans or conservatives/libertarians.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:41 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Come on, it's a kick-ass team name! And this is coming from someone with native blood!
As a redskin, what anti-redskin slurs would you find inappropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies