Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
You have a choice. You have a choice to go to the several bars that do not allow smoking LOL. What about that don't you get? It's much easier for everyone if they were allowed to go to a place that catered to them. You want to have all the choices while limiting the choices of others. I get it now. You're arguing that if there were 12 bars and only 2 allowed smoking, you're upset because your choices would be limited, so you want to ban smoking in the other 2 bars as well lol... You lost. Add not making any sense to the list of your failures.
And a smoker has a choice to step out for a few minutes to suck down a cancer stick, that is a choice if they wish to smoke. No one is saying they have to go all the way home just to smoke a cigarette.

Unfortunately that isn't the way reality works, when smoking was allowed in bars, almost all of them were smoking bars. Finding a non smoking bar was a near impossible task, so it was the smokers who had the choices, not the non-smokers. Now non-smokers have more choices and smokers only need to step outside to smoke, a minor inconvenience for the smoker to please the majority.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Hmmm, aren't you just repeating the same thing over and over again? Does that mean you lost too?

I am only going in circles because you keep chasing your tail while I am riding on your back.

And I already answered your question, should I copy and paste it again or do you just want to refer back to my past answer? Do you somehow expect me to give you a different answer each time you ask your silly question?
Yes you answered my question only after the 10th time I asked it lol. Even then, you're answer that it's not fair to you because you'd only have 10 smoke free bars to choose from instead of 12 is laughable lol. You might as well kept on avoiding the question.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
We are talking about bars and restaurants that are clearly labeled pro smokers. Why is it a problem for non smokers not to go to a bar that banned smoking and allow smokers to go to bars that allow it? Urban refuses to answer, so I'll ask you. What's wrong with everyone getting want they want?
I don't know any bars or restaurants that advertise for smokers. There is no problem though. If you want to smoke than go outside. Why is that a problem. Let's be courteous and not subject someone else to your smoke.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know quite a few non-smokers who don't mind it, my brother and ex-boyfriend being among them - and neither of them have ever been smokers. Perhaps that isn't the norm, but you need to accept that not everyone is as bothered by it as you.
I think they are an exception to the rule than the norm. It is safe to say most non-smokers do not like being around smoke.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yes you answered my question only after the 10th time I asked it lol. Even then, you're answer that it's not fair to you because you'd only have 10 smoke free bars to choose from instead of 12 is laughable lol. You might as well kept on avoiding the question.
Yet that isn't reality, reality was there were 12 smoking bars and no non smoking bars.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
And a smoker has a choice to step out for a few minutes to suck down a cancer stick, that is a choice if they wish to smoke. No one is saying they have to go all the way home just to smoke a cigarette.

Unfortunately that isn't the way reality works, when smoking was allowed in bars, almost all of them were smoking bars. Finding a non smoking bar was a near impossible task, so it was the smokers who had the choices, not the non-smokers. Now non-smokers have more choices and smokers only need to step outside to smoke, a minor inconvenience for the smoker to please the majority.
And you have the choice to go to a smoke free bar thus giving everyone options, but you want everyone to accommodate you. No one is saying you have to inhale second hand smoke. We're saying that you have option to go to a place where smoking is banned and smokers would have the option to go somewhere where it was not.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't know any bars or restaurants that advertise for smokers. There is no problem though. If you want to smoke than go outside. Why is that a problem. Let's be courteous and not subject someone else to your smoke.
If there were bars that only advertised to smokers and allowed it, why could you not be courteous and go to all the other bars that you just claimed does not advertise to smokers? Seems that someone has a double standard.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Yet that isn't reality, reality was there were 12 smoking bars and no non smoking bars.
If there's a market for a non smoking bar, then there would be non smoking bars. Times have changed sisne then and NOW the reality is that there is a market for them. Everyone could be courteous to each other by allowing smokers to have their bars and non smokers to have theirs.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I think they are an exception to the rule than the norm. It is safe to say most non-smokers do not like being around smoke.
They aren't an exception to the rule. We're telling you that many people that we know personally do not mind smokers even though we do not smoke.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
So enlighten me, what is this balance that some regions have found? Some examples would be nice.

I am all for allowing smoking on patios at bars, that way one who is drinking can also smoke.
Patios or designated/separate smoking areas are one example... remember when airports had those awful enclosed smoking lounges? We used to jokingly call them "cancer boxes," but they were a welcomed sight on many layovers & delays! Now if I want to smoke during a long wait, I have to leave the airport and go back through security. And here in California, it's hard to find any restaurants or bars with smoke-friendly patios (might even be illegal now).

And I guess if a business owner REALLY wanted to allow smoking, they could pay some kind of special tax or fee? Kind of like the plastic bag "ban" in San Francisco, where they can still choose to use them for a per-bag fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies