Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
Allow restaurant/bar owners to decide.

I always like a little carcinoma cocktail and a side of COPD with my steak and baked potato!!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM

80 posts, read 43,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here's one difference, though... purse snatchers and muggers INTENTIONALLY and DIRECTLY harm others, while most smokers (especially these days) only knowingly harm themselves. We already cannot smoke inside of public places in most states, so are you claiming you'll get cancer from a smoker OUTSIDE? Or from our homes and cars? I live alone, and don't even smoke inside of my own home, just outside & away from public entrances or in my car. So how am I worthy of your cruel words, and how am I hurting anyone else?

Thus, you are being (indirectly) condescending & cruel towards us for no reason, even though the fumes from a passing car will probably cause you more harm than any smoker will. Unless you live with a smoker, or work at a bar in Las Vegas, I doubt you will suffer any health consequences from us. So yeah, you are being a bit judgy - especially since I'd bet dollars to donuts you've done a few unhealthy and/or stupid things in your life too. Or are you 100% perfect?
Well, let me give you an example. I go fishing offshore for Tuna and other large big game species. Smokers think absolutely nothing about standing right next to you will you are pulling on a tuna, and let this stench waft all over you while you are wrestling with a 100# or bigger fish, or soaking a bait, or the troll or sitting in the lee made by the Salon. They act like they are the only one there, and it is appalling the blatant disregard they have. If I was to blare some loud music etc., they would be the first to scream bloody murder.

Face it, you are a stinking pile. Your clothes stink, your breath stinks, the elevator you ride in stinks. You are immune, but the rest of humanity isn't. You haven't any idea how disgustingly-foul you smell. And the smoke you wantonly spew causes people respiratory, ocular and olfactory distress, and dollars to donuts, the ONLY things that keeps you from spewing it everywhere are the laws, because it certainly isn't human decency or regard for your fellow man.

Don't worry, though, you won't get cancer or suffer any health consequences if you are forced to change your ways, and toke your drug in an inoffensive manner. You'll survive, I'm sure.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Seriously, you need to think about what you're saying. You have no problem with people dying of their bad habits. Do you realize what that makes you sound like? I won't post it here because I'd get banned but I'm sure you can imagine. Karma.
Once again you have lied. Blatently and offensively lied.

It isn't the bad habits they engage in that renders me unsympathetic to the consequences they suffer. No, and you know it isn't.

What it is, is that they have no compunction against inflicting it on others.

Are you not capable or willing to see the difference, or is telling lies in a desperate attempt to "win" more important.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yep. And since nobody is perfect, I bet most who act all high & mighty also engage in unhealthy behavior. Today I was at a stop light smoking in my car, when I started to feel guilty that my window was open... then I noticed the lady next to me was wolfing down a Big Mac, so figured she couldn't complain anyway.
Did the foul stench of her hamburger make you gag? No, of course not, because it isn't foul, unlike the stench you spew. Now go back and pick up the butt you threw and sweep up the ashes. The world is no longer your ashtray.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bridges View Post
Well, let me give you an example. I go fishing offshore for Tuna and other large big game species. Smokers think absolutely nothing about standing right next to you will you are pulling on a tuna, and let this stench waft all over you while you are wrestling with a 100# or bigger fish, or soaking a bait, or the troll or sitting in the lee made by the Salon. They act like they are the only one there, and it is appalling the blatant disregard they have. If I was to blare some loud music etc., they would be the first to scream bloody murder.
I'm sorry if your fellow fishermen/women are inconsiderate, but that hardly applies to every smoker in the world... and I would NOT personally care if you were blaring music, nor would I complain about any smells coming from your boat. To give you an example, my downstairs neighbors often play their music REALLY REALLY loudly, and love to burn/spray something that reeks of lavender - and I'm highly allergic to lavender. Yet I have never complained, because I figure my smoking on the balcony and late-night video gaming/TV are probably fair trades. See, we're not all inconsiderate jerks.

Quote:
Face it, you are a stinking pile. Your clothes stink, your breath stinks, the elevator you ride in stinks. You are immune, but the rest of humanity isn't. You haven't any idea how disgustingly-foul you smell.
Yeah, that's why even my boss took about 3-4 months to realize I was a smoker... people are constantly surprised to find out I smoke, because I apparently don't retain the smell for long (just a short period of time after a smoke). You probably won't believe me, but the reactions I get are 100% sincere and frequent.

Not that I'm claiming cigarettes don't generally stink, because they do. But so does perfume/cologne (IMO), incense, candles, body odor, farts, etc. I work in a public library and used to live in San Francisco, so you can trust me when I say a faint cigarette smell is the least of our worries! Seriously, I've encountered people who smell so badly, I literally had to breathe through my mouth while helping them.

Quote:
And the smoke you wantonly spew causes people respiratory, ocular and olfactory distress,
So does the perfume people wear, but nobody seems to care when I mention how much that affects me. I don't care either, since it's MY problem - not theirs.

Quote:
and dollars to donuts, the ONLY things that keeps you from spewing it everywhere are the laws, because it certainly isn't human decency or regard for your fellow man.
Then you would lose that bet, because even when I travel to places like Nevada, I prefer to smoke outside. I grew up in a strictly non-smoking household & family, so maybe I'm more considerate than your average smoker - but again, we are not ALL the jerks you seem to think we are. I have also been trying to quit for a while now, and have cut back considerably thanks to the vaporizer/eCig. You're probably the type who would complain about that too, lol.

Quote:
Don't worry, though, you won't get cancer or suffer any health consequences if you are forced to change your ways, and toke your drug in an inoffensive manner. You'll survive, I'm sure.
Nobody can force me to do anything, and I have chosen to quit for my own personal reasons. If the only reason was to make you happy, it might actually be a deterrent instead of an incentive.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
This is a stupid argument, smoking in confined public places forces people who to not smoke to breath dangerous carcinogens unnecessarily. Its been proven and is settled science that second hand smoke is not only dangerous but has contributed to the deaths of wait staff in places where it was allowed for many years. If you want to destroy your body knock yourself out. Go buy all you want and destroy your lungs and your walls of your home, but it will never be allowed for you to force others to breath your carp or take part in your bad life choice and ruin their night out or eating experience. No one says you can't smoke you just can't do it here. I have no idea why you think that you have the right to force others to breath your crap but society has not right to limit where your destructive habit that not only kills you but others can be practiced. You want to get drunk, its up to you if you want to destroy your liver kill your self I don't care at all, but don't drive or go out in public and disrupt others. Smoking does this by its very nature. This has to be one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard. You may as well say you want to repeal Social Security as to think that smoking is going to be allowed in the public sector as it was on the 50s. Not only are less people every year smoking but the science is settled, yes Virginia its bad for you, not a little but its very very bad and will cause disease in the body. So smoke up Johny, but don't try to pee in our ear and tell us its raining.
Smoking signs posted outside, and if you ignored the sign there's an obvious scent of cigarette smoke inside. No one is forced to remain inside a privately owned restaurant or bar, if you don't like it, then leave.

The same obvious common sense goes for a restaurant that cooks fish, and if you hate the smell of fish, you are free to leave.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bridges View Post
Did the foul stench of her hamburger make you gag? No, of course not, because it isn't foul, unlike the stench you spew. Now go back and pick up the butt you threw and sweep up the ashes. The world is no longer your ashtray.
Not surprised you missed my point, which wasn't about affecting other people - it was about being smug or condescending, when almost everyone has a bad habit or two. I don't eat meat or fast food, but you won't find me acting rude towards people who do.

And FYI, I almost never put my butts on the ground... only if I have absolutely no other choice, thanks to California's smoking nazis who've eliminated public ashtrays from our state. Yes, let's get rid of ashtrays and then complain when butts are found on the ground. Makes sense.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Exile smokers and ban tobacco. Weaklings.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if your fellow fishermen/women are inconsiderate, but that hardly applies to every smoker in the world... and I would NOT personally care if you were blaring music, nor would I complain about any smells coming from your boat. To give you an example, my downstairs neighbors often play their music REALLY REALLY loudly, and love to burn/spray something that reeks of lavender - and I'm highly allergic to lavender. Yet I have never complained, because I figure my smoking on the balcony and late-night video gaming/TV are probably fair trades. See, we're not all inconsiderate jerks.

Yeah, that's why even my boss took about 3-4 months to realize I was a smoker... people are constantly surprised to find out I smoke, because I apparently don't retain the smell for long (just a short period of time after a smoke). You probably won't believe me, but the reactions I get are 100% sincere and frequent.

Not that I'm claiming cigarettes don't generally stink, because they do. But so does perfume/cologne (IMO), incense, candles, body odor, farts, etc. I work in a public library and used to live in San Francisco, so you can trust me when I say a faint cigarette smell is the least of our worries! Seriously, I've encountered people who smell so badly, I literally had to breathe through my mouth while helping them.

So does the perfume people wear, but nobody seems to care when I mention how much that affects me. I don't care either, since it's MY problem - not theirs.

Then you would lose that bet, because even when I travel to places like Nevada, I prefer to smoke outside. I grew up in a strictly non-smoking household & family, so maybe I'm more considerate than your average smoker - but again, we are not ALL the jerks you seem to think we are. I have also been trying to quit for a while now, and have cut back considerably thanks to the vaporizer/eCig. You're probably the type who would complain about that too, lol.

Nobody can force me to do anything, and I have chosen to quit for my own personal reasons. If the only reason was to make you happy, it might actually be a deterrent instead of an incentive.
I never met a smoker whoever had the least concern for others, or a smoker that didn't stink. I am not saying it is impossible, but IMHO, they reek.

Body odor, and scents don't hold a candle to burning tobacco stench. Trust me, I know.

I wish you the best in your efforts, and fully support vaping e-cig or whatever option your chose. My ONLY objection is, and always has been, the inflicting of ETC on others by smokers. Eliminate that, and all is good.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Not surprised you missed my point, which wasn't about affecting other people - it was about being smug or condescending, when almost everyone has a bad habit or two. I don't eat meat or fast food, but you won't find me acting rude towards people who do.

And FYI, I almost never put my butts on the ground... only if I have absolutely no other choice, thanks to California's smoking nazis who've eliminated public ashtrays from our state. Yes, let's get rid of ashtrays and then complain when butts are found on the ground. Makes sense.
Sorry you have the bad habit of not eating meat, etc. You have my sympathy.

Trying putting your butts in your pocket, or in pocket-ash-trays.

I heard rumors about there being a smoker somewhere who didn't throw butts on the ground, but until now, I didn't believe it!!! Oh wait, you said almost never.

Oh well, I almost never....... in the nose..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies