Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree. I am also a smoker. I started as a stupid teenager. I did quit once but started back up again. I've cut back quite a bit, but still smoke 5 or so cigs a day.

With that being said, people voluntarily go to restaurants and bars. I really don't understand why people can't simply make the choice to avoid any that allow smoking if they don't want to be around it.

I agree with you and northnut. Nobody is telling a non-smoker to knowingly go into an establishment, or knowingly work at that establishment that allows it. Just like I'm free to not to go to a place that doesn't allow it.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
We have a smoking ban here which I was annoyed at of course but I'm used to it. I tell ya, I never go out to bars now, at least in winter. Summer is different because you can sit outside then. So I guess a ban doesn't bother me but I can also see leaving it up to the owner & having that bar place a sign on the outside.

I tend to stay away from bars as well. Worked in them as a DJ on the weekends for a lot of years. I don't miss the drama, and quite frankly it's cheaper to drink at home. Not to mention as a former DJ I can at all times control the music at home.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I don't like the smell of fried liver or sour kraut, so let's ban them too, eh?

It's simple, if you don't like the food that's served, or the smoking, then freaking walk out the door of the restaurant. It's called freedom.
The smell of fried liver and sour kraut isn't a airborne pollutant that is known to cause cancer is it? Comparing the smell of food you don't like and tobacco smoke is a foolish comparison.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Tomato... Tomahto... Exactly, not everyone who smokes will develop cancer. In fact, a large majority do not.

To get back to the topic of the thread: This is not a public safety issue that you all keep continuing warp it into... This is a private choice issue. If a business owner's customers specially ask for, condone, personally except the risk, and want to eat blood covered vegetables, then it should not be your or the government's business to stop them from doing so. Just like with smoking, it should be left up to the business own and the customers who knew what they were getting when they freely walked into the private business. Yes, it's a well known fact that smoking indoors AND OUTDOORS in a proven health hazard, but if consenting adults want to partake in that well known "health hazard", then the government should not get in the way.
So you would not want a restaurant regulated to prevent spread of food borne illness? Improper storage, cockroaches, and rats are fine with you? I really suspect not.

Not everyone who smokes will develop lung cancer, but that is not the only hazard from smoking. Half to two thirds of smokers will die from smoking related illnesses, including other cancers and cardiovascular disease.

Regulation of indoor smoking falls in the same category as other regulations to protect the health of the public. Your willingness to accept the risk of smoking does not override protection of the public as a whole.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:39 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Tobacco smoke causes cancer.

{snip}
Then my two grandmothers died of cancer, and the doctors lied to us about their cause of death?

You can try to be dishonest with someone else, I know what my 90 year old grandmothers died of.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So you would not want a restaurant regulated to prevent spread of food borne illness? Improper storage, cockroaches, and rats are fine with you? I really suspect not.

Not everyone who smokes will develop lung cancer, but that is not the only hazard from smoking. Half to two thirds of smokers will die from smoking related illnesses, including other cancers and cardiovascular disease.

Regulation of indoor smoking falls in the same category as other regulations to protect the health of the public. Your willingness to accept the risk of smoking does not override protection of the public as a whole.
So pretty much after puffing on a cigarette, anything you die from in your old age was caused by smoking. That's sort of like everything to do with the weather is caused by CO2. Got'cha.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Then my two grandmothers died of cancer, and the doctors lied to us about their cause of death?

You can try to be dishonest with someone else, I know what my 90 year old grandmothers died of.
Where did I say that?

I said that stroke is a smoking related illness. You said one of your grandmothers died from a stroke, did you not?

Tobacco smoke does cause cancer. Not everyone who smokes will get lung or other cancers from it. However, half to two thirds of smokers will die from diseases caused by their smoking. That includes strokes.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,141 times
I personally am sick and tired of the Government sticking their noses where they do not belong. The last time I checked we still had freedom of choice along with freedom of speech. Everything we thought we had control of is no more. Obama is slowly stripping away our God given Constitutional rights and does not uphold the Constitution as he so swore to do. Therefore everyone should have a choice to smoke or not to smoke and businesses should also have the right to allow or not allow a smoking establishment.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi P View Post
I personally am sick and tired of the Government sticking their noses where they do not belong. The last time I checked we still had freedom of choice along with freedom of speech. Everything we thought we had control of is no more. Obama is slowly stripping away our God given Constitutional rights and does not uphold the Constitution as he so swore to do. Therefore everyone should have a choice to smoke or not to smoke and businesses should also have the right to allow or not allow a smoking establishment.

It goes further back than Obama, but I do agree with the rest of your premise.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So pretty much after puffing on a cigarette, anything you die from in your old age was caused by smoking. That's sort of like everything to do with the weather is caused by CO2. Got'cha.

Fewer smokers will make it to old age. They die on average about 10 years sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies