Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,153,359 times

Advertisements

Why are they still here and who are they defending us from????

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

It's almost never discussed in the political mainstream. But thousands of foreign troops have now been stationed in Britain for more than 70 years. There's been nothing like it since the Norman invasion. With the 15-month Dutch occupation of London in 1688-9 a distant competitor, there has been no precedent since 1066 for the presence of American forces in a string of military bases for the better part of a century.
[MOD CUT/copyright violation]

70 years of foreign troops? We should close the bases | Seumas Milne | Comment is free | The Guardian

Unknown territory: America

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-10-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:45 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,323,459 times
Time to go. Put them on our borders.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 AM

The US is making budget cuts, Europe is more than capable of defending it's self and the Russians are no longer a major super power. Time to go in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,325,811 times
I'd like to see the United States pull back its troops from most places in the world. At least 80% of bases could be shut down.

But, is this REALLY an issue for most Brits? I mean, the tone of the article is ridiculous. American troops aren't there to occupy, they are there as allies, and likely as fortification of NATO. Does anyone remember what that is? Or care? It probably boosts the local economies to have a station there, as it does in the US.

I suppose everything from hereon out is just always going to be fine, so we can disband NATO. The UN will solve everything in the future, just like the League of Nations did.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The US is making budget cuts, Europe is more than capable of defending it's self and the Russians are no longer a major super power. Time to go in my opinion.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think anyone takes "Europe" seriously as a military power.

But they could be forced to learn how to defend themselves. Which at least would be interesting/fun to watch.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,156,823 times
The countries that host these bases would sue the US if we tried to leave. They have entire economys dependent on these bases. I agree they should be closed or their budgets 100% transferred to NATO.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. I don't think anyone takes "Europe" seriously as a military power.

But they could be forced to learn how to defend themselves. Which at least would be interesting/fun to watch.
A 2009 Report by the EU Institute of Strategic Studies Report showed that the number of Main Battle Tanks held by the members of the EU was 9,800, with a mere 7,951 Armoured Fighting Vehicles and a paltry 22,844 Armoured Personnel Carriers and over 2 million Regular Service Personnel and even greater numbers of reserve forces. America accounts for nearly half of world defence expenditure, the EU a further quarter of all defence expenditure and the majority of the rest is spent by China, Russia, India, Japan and countries such as Australia and Canada. So just who are we defending ourselves and are the Americans with 30,00 troops and 29 tanks really pivotal to EU defence.

http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/med...cyBrief-05.pdf

Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The countries that host these bases would sue the US if we tried to leave. They have entire economys dependent on these bases. I agree they should be closed or their budgets 100% transferred to NATO.
The vast majority of US Troops are in Germany, with one brigade in Italy, in terms of the USAF it's mainly in Germany, Italy and the UK, and finally the US Naval Support Activity is housed in Italy.

I think the economies of Germany, Italy and the UK can survive a few base closures. The UK is even pulling it's forces out of Germany.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
A 2009 Report by the EU Institute of Strategic Studies Report showed that the number of Main Battle Tanks held by the members of the EU was 9,800, with a mere 7,951 Armoured Fighting Vehicles and a paltry 22,844 Armoured Personnel Carriers and over 2 million Regular Service Personnel and even greater numbers of reserve forces. America accounts for nearly half of world defence expenditure, the EU a further quarter of all defence expenditure and the majority of the rest is spent by China, Russia, India, Japan and countries such as Australia and Canada. So just who are we defending ourselves and are the Americans with 30,00 troops and 29 tanks really pivotal to EU defence.

http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/med...cyBrief-05.pdf

Again, NATO.

Western world maintains troops to "secure resources" and continued comfortable lifestyle for its people.

Often, the United States will just take the lead and the blame for such actions while Euros nestle snugly and smugly against it, while enjoying the benefits of same.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,794,196 times
Unfortunately for the troops involved they need to be repositioned to be ready for the current and next challenges facing the USA. Not fascist Europe or soviet Russia. More appropriate would be mineral rich zones, sealanes and U.S. borders.
I write unfortunately because no more nubile frauleins to cavort with in the hofbraus instead it will be fairly grim living in the regions which need attention. Real soldering.

The present situation truly is a worlwide scramble for trade and resources.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-11-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies