Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hahahahaha, oh it pleases me to see the cons running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
What a pathetic state of mind. All because you love Barack Obama more than you love America itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
wow an amazing amount of hoopla over nothing. This sort of language is in other laws and rules as well dealing with mass layoffs for example.

Overall you're all getting excited over nothing. Sigh. If you're reducing headcount, you can't list the reason as "we're doing it to fark with a law we dont like" instead you pick some other reason. And you're good to go.
Citation please. Specifically, I'd like to see the rule that declares that a company must reconcile all mass layoffs with the IRS.

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If I owned multiple operations or establishments, I believe I'd set up each one today as a separate corporation.
I would avoid cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I would pay a tax attorney to determine the best structure from multiple angles, including ownership/control of the business, asset protection and tax minimization from both a federal and state level.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What a pathetic state of mind. All because you love Barack Obama more than you love America itself.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I would avoid cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I would pay a tax attorney to determine the best structure from multiple angles, including ownership/control of the business, asset protection and tax minimization from both a federal and state level.
True. Before my RE career I was part owner in a group of about 95 companies where many were under one corporation. Today every location is either a separate S corp or LLC's.

Risk reduction and it simplifies their operations. Instead of many having over 100 employees, each corporation now has 10-30 employees.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
True. Before my RE career I was part owner in a group of about 95 companies where many were under one corporation. Today every location is either a separate S corp or LLC's.

Risk reduction and it simplifies their operations. Instead of many having over 100 employees, each corporation now has 10-30 employees.
Which illustrates precisely why government's good intention never actually works in practice. The marketplace will determine what it accepts as good policy, and what it will do to avoid bad policy. Government can never keep up. It should stop trying, for the good of the country.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Incorrect. They can lay off employees for any reason. But if they lay off employees in 2014 with the sole purpose of getting below the 100 employee cutoff then they don't get the 1 year employer mandate extension.
Makes you wonder if you're a company with political leanings like Hobby Lobby, Little Sisters of the Poor or Chic-Fil-A and send in your "I swear I didn't lay off" form would the IRS believe it or investigate?
I'm guess the latter given the 501(c)3 fiasco that's currently going on. Just more grey area to beat the populace over the head with.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Citation please. Specifically, I'd like to see the rule that declares that a company must reconcile all mass layoffs with the IRS.

Thanks.
Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I believe its the Dept of Labor in this case, not the IRS. Shrug. Does that part really matter?

Theres also various rules depending on which state you are in, New York has more specific ones about similar activities.

Your welcome.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Incorrect. They can lay off employees for any reason. But if they lay off employees in 2014 with the sole purpose of getting below the 100 employee cutoff then they don't get the 1 year employer mandate extension.
What about fair and equal protection?

So now the federal government can judge you based on what it feels like your intentions were. That effectively makes them the thought police and you can be assessed a fine for that that other companies don't have to worry about and how much you want to bet that when this is all said and done there will be an audit that finds unfair and unequal practice of policing thoughts.

You people just keep falling for this stupid crap. Either that or you're secretly enjoying the burning of the United States from subversive parasites within. You and your ilk were all mad when you made up a BS story about Bush calling the constitution a "GD piece of paper" but now, you're like "OMG, Obama is so dreamy as he dumps gasoline all over the US and lights it on fire with a burning constitution!"

Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I believe its the Dept of Labor in this case, not the IRS. Shrug. Does that part really matter?

Theres also various rules depending on which state you are in, New York has more specific ones about similar activities.

Your welcome.

I think people need to take note WHEN WARN was enacted into law ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies