Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times

Advertisements

#1 An astounding 70 million Americans are taking legal mind-altering drugs right now.

Well, if you include SSRIs, Anti-depressants...I certainly can believe it. Working in a healthcare setting I see these people every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't voluntarily screw my head up..
stoners do that.
Nobody is advocating for T-310 to go anywhere near any kind of drug or mind altering substance... that sure is a scary thought.

But if an emotionally stable, intellectually competent and clear headed ADULT wants to partake in consuming an ancient herb that has always been used by human civilization for thousands of years than it should be absolutely no issue for any Government. The same could be and has been said for alcohol, which is actually a more dangerous substance that is much worse for our health and our bodies and does not elevate consciousness as effectively.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-03-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Cheers!

'The American people are the most drugged people in the history of the planet.

close to 70 percent of all Americans are currently on at least one prescription drug.

In addition, there are 60 million Americans that “abuse alcohol” and 22 million that use illegal drugs.

What that means is that almost everyone that you meet is going to be on something.

In fact, as you will read about below, there are70 million Americans that are taking “mind-altering drugs” right now.

#1 An astounding 70 million Americans are taking legal mind-altering drugs right now.

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
Y'know, there are a LOT of us that don't fit into ANY of those categories!
At the present time, I take NO prescription drugs.
I have never used any illegal drugs.
An 8-pack of Guinness will last me two weeks or more.
I take aspirin regularly, for pain and inflammation.
I used to smoke cigarettes, until taxation made me quit.
I really doubt that I am the only boring square in the United States. Again, there are a LOT of us!

IMO, this is simply more proof that a halfway decent statistician can prove ANYTHING that somebody is willing to pay him to prove!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Cheers!

close to 70 percent of all Americans are currently on at least one prescription drug.

In addition, there are 60 million Americans that “abuse alcohol” and 22 million that use illegal drugs.

What that means is that almost everyone that you meet is going to be on something.

In fact, as you will read about below, there are70 million Americans that are taking “mind-altering drugs” right now.

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
Well I am not one of them as I avoid medication as much as possible (and luckily I don't need at this time anything) and I dislike the taste of alcohol (and therefore I don't drink at all). But I do agree that too many Americans rely too much on a regular basis on prescription drugs and alcohol.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Cheers!

If you are going to use alcohol in these statistics then your supposition that we are the most "drugged" people in history is flawed. During previous centuries (since the beginning of time) many more people consumed alcohol than they do today. During the 16th 17th and 18th centuries people drank beer and whiskey with breakfast and drank alcohol frequently throughout the day. In fact, most people were lit, most of the time. LOL

As for prescriptions, yes, they are very much over used. But all people have to do is tell the doctor that they won't take the pills. It's really just as simple as that. Nobody FORCES you to take a prescription medication (unless you are incapable of making your own decisions). So just DON'T.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky8828 View Post
I quit a few years ago. I just wasn't living up to my potential smoking. Just like if I drank beer every night after work. Marijuana makes most people lazy, apathetic and out of shape.
ie: "my own shorcomings will now be projected on everyone who ever lives"....Sharky8828

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, nobody holds the key to everyone else's lives. We are all quite wrong about most things because of our own limitations. There are a few things big and bold enough for most of us to claim is TRUTH but the rest, and pot being on that list, is just projection on our parts and really not our concern.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Of course people take too many drugs, with capitalism running Pharmaceutical companies the only thing that matters is pushing drugs and making money. People actually think these companies care whether they save lives or kill people off, making money is they care about, it's why sick people often go to Canada and Mexico for medicine they need, it's why Kobe Bryant goes to Germany every summer for his knee treatments.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I don't doubt these numbers. Tons of people get a taste of opiates legally, via prescription. Many develop a liking for that blissful feeling of contentedness. Not too difficult to track down some prescription pills if you really wanted to. As others have mentioned, heroin is on it's way back. I wouldn't doubt that the pain pill situation has something to do with that.

For the most part, these drugs accomplish what they are prescribed to do. Unfortunately, even when following the doctor's recommendation, many become addicted. In the case of anti anxiety meds like Xanax, it's not a question of if, but when one will become addicted. And that has to be one of the most all consuming, and nightmarish addictions out there. But hey, they accomplish what they are prescribed to do... Temporarily.

You guys can have that mess. I'd rather take something that makes me active and motivated. Matter of fact, if we were prescribed more stimulants/uppers and less downers, we might actually be able to compete in the global market for a change. Less Vicodin and more adderall/Ritalin, etc

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't voluntarily screw my head up..
stoners do that.

and pill poppers and booze heads. right??

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I'VE never even smoked a cigarette. Much less marijuana. Not one single toke.

I have always been in control of me. As an INTJ, that will never change.

http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies