Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So, I've heard everything when it comes to why people justify why they eat meat.

They say, well, in nature, these animals would have been eaten anyhow. In nature, severe special needs children would have been eaten.

They say, how do you know if an animal feels pain or not, it can't communicate. Neither can severe special needs kids.

They say, animals have lower intelligence. So do severe special needs kids.

... The list goes on. But we don't pen up special needs kids for life and eat them. So why, if you have compassion on these kids, who are in many ways inferior to other humans, do you have no compassion for animals, who are in many ways inferior to other humans? A livestock yard is about as in-compassionate as you could get.

I'm not talking about kids who have a mild disorder. I'm talking the severe cases. You know the differences.
That is a truly bizarre post.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Hey. I love animals. I'm not much into hunting, but grew up around family members who did so I don't oppose it. In fact I feel that if you are going to hunt you should utilize all aspects of the animal for food, clothing or whatever. Having said that, I will never turn down meat. And to add, if s*** ever hit the fan in this country, I suppose I'd have to learn how hunt really quick.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nice shootin!! I have smokes ribs for breakfast today
Braggart

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Wew, thank goodness we can't get negative reps on this site . But I did kind of push all the buttons at once.

The reason I made such a bizarre thread is that it's something we need to think about. When we see a human being of lesser capacity, we have compassion on them, I do too. But do animal beings of lesser capacity receive absolutely no compassion? I'm not asking everyone to become vegans, but just to at least think about where your meal came from. Visit a livestock yard. If we did the same to humans of lesser capacity, every one of us would be repulsed. I don't agree with everything of PETA, but there has to be a more humane way to raise animals.

On the flip side, who are you to condemn someone for having an abortion of a child that would have severe special needs when you yourself consume quite a few animals over the course of your life? This makes even less sense to me. If you are arguing abortion is inhumane, maybe we should look at our diet and see how truly inhumane it can be.
I grew up in a town of 308 people where most families survived on less than $16k a year. Not only do I know where meat comes from, but I've also been involved in the process of taking meat from its walking state to table ready on more occasions than I can conveniently count. Guess what? I'm still an avid fan of such foods as steak, bacon, ribs, ham, roast, and hamburger meat. The process of raising livestock has changed drastically over the past couple of decades, mostly for the better. There are now companies who specialize in free-range beef, pork, and chicken. If you don't like the way that other livestock is raised, feel free to start a ranch or livestock yard and lead by example.

The assumption that comparing livestock to disabled children is somehow a valid argument to use in a guilt-trip aimed at those who eat meat is offensive, quite frankly, as well as being completely disingenuous. The day that a cow walks up and starts a conversation with me is the day that I'll start looking at cattle as something other than food. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy my steaks.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM

804 posts, read 618,673 times
Compassion? What do you want us to do? Kill all the lions so they don't eat zebras? Kill all the tigers so they stop going after gazelles? It's nonsense. There is no such a thing as compassion in animal kingdom.

Quote:
So, I've heard everything when it comes to why people justify why they eat meat.

They say, well, in nature, these animals would have been eaten anyhow. In nature, severe special needs children would have been eaten.

They say, how do you know if an animal feels pain or not, it can't communicate. Neither can severe special needs kids.

They say, animals have lower intelligence. So do severe special needs kids.

... The list goes on. But we don't pen up special needs kids for life and eat them. So why, if you have compassion on these kids, who are in many ways inferior to other humans, do you have no compassion for animals, who are in many ways inferior to other humans? A livestock yard is about as in-compassionate as you could get.

I'm not talking about kids who have a mild disorder. I'm talking the severe cases. You know the differences.

Last edited by risotto11; 02-12-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Quote:
Wew, thank goodness we can't get negative reps on this site . But I did kind of push all the buttons at once.

The reason I made such a bizarre thread is that it's something we need to think about. When we see a human being of lesser capacity, we have compassion on them, I do too. But do animal beings of lesser capacity receive absolutely no compassion? I'm not asking everyone to become vegans, but just to at least think about where your meal came from. Visit a livestock yard. If we did the same to humans of lesser capacity, every one of us would be repulsed. I don't agree with everything of PETA, but there has to be a more humane way to raise animals.

On the flip side, who are you to condemn someone for having an abortion of a child that would have severe special needs when you yourself consume quite a few animals over the course of your life? This makes even less sense to me. If you are arguing abortion is inhumane, maybe we should look at our diet and see how truly inhumane it can be.
The thing is that humans will always view humans as greater than another species. (Also, cannibalism is generally discouraged, logical analysis aside).

I think it would be better to compare why Americans will eat cows on a regular basis but not Yorkshire terriers.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hey. I love animals. I'm not much into hunting, but grew up around family members who did so I don't oppose it. In fact I feel that if you are going to hunt you should utilize all aspects of the animal for food, clothing or whatever. Having said that, I will never turn down meat. And to add, if s*** ever hit the fan in this country, I suppose I'd have to learn how hunt really quick.
Skinning is a nasty business. I'm also not going to use bladders for hauling water. Guts and everything that isn't steak or roast or burger is discarded.

I have seen hunters simply take the hind quarters and roast off of a deer and leave everything from there up to the head. I see that as a tremendous waste.

Hunting isn't about being mean to animals. It's population control. My forefathers and everyone else's decided to kill of all natural predators of deer. This had lead to a population higher then was when Columbus landed. To many deer mean disease, starvation, and being undersized.

I hunt because I love nature. Not because I hate it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Skinning is a nasty business. I'm also not going to use bladders for hauling water. Guts and everything that isn't steak or roast or burger is discarded.

I have seen hunters simply take the hind quarters and roast off of a deer and leave everything from there up to the head. I see that as a tremendous waste.

Hunting isn't about being mean to animals. It's population control. My forefathers and everyone else's decided to kill of all natural predators of deer. This had lead to a population higher then was when Columbus landed. To many deer mean disease, starvation, and being undersized.

I hunt because I love nature. Not because I hate it.

You'll get no argument nor opposition from me.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
You don't like to eat meat...then don't. Don't force your views on those of us that do eat it.
Hope you don't have any leather shoes, or furniture in your house...or leather seats in your vehicle. An animal gave it's life for that don't you know ...

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Humans are omnivores, which has absolutely nothing to do with special needs children. Eating meat is natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies