Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM

30,156 posts, read 23,540,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Wew, thank goodness we can't get negative reps on this site . But I did kind of push all the buttons at once.

The reason I made such a bizarre thread is that it's something we need to think about. When we see a human being of lesser capacity, we have compassion on them, I do too. But do animal beings of lesser capacity receive absolutely no compassion? I'm not asking everyone to become vegans, but just to at least think about where your meal came from. Visit a livestock yard. If we did the same to humans of lesser capacity, every one of us would be repulsed. I don't agree with everything of PETA, but there has to be a more humane way to raise animals.

On the flip side, who are you to condemn someone for having an abortion of a child that would have severe special needs when you yourself consume quite a few animals over the course of your life? This makes even less sense to me. If you are arguing abortion is inhumane, maybe we should look at our diet and see how truly inhumane it can be.
I just left a group today because of this very type of preaching by vegans. I'm not a vegan, I have no interest in being a vegan, but there were a ton of vegans in this particular group. Every single day they would post yet another YT video that they presented as "fact", (it was actually someone's opinion), on why we shouldn't eat meat, that we are "in the dark", that we "don't really know what goes on in slaughterhouses", that they were "just trying to give us some facts" and "open" our "eyes", that we are "supporting animal abuse"...on and on it went.

You "stop eating meat" types are extremists. You only see factory farms. You don't see local farms, you don't understand hunting at all, you simply do not get it. And the more that you bleat on about "compassion for animals" and how us meat eaters are "supporting animal abuse", the less you are going to be heard.

You, and the idiotic vegans in this particular group, are missing one thing: Your assumptions are completely and totally wrong. You assume that no one thinks about where their meat comes from. You assume that we just blindly shop in the store, completely clueless that meat in packages does not actually grow on trees like that, that we don't understand the concept of a life taken to nourish us, that we are oblivious to any part of the process.

So I will tell you the exact same thing I told them: Posting a video, a link, an article, or even your own opinion about meat eating is non action. It's the self righteous lazy way out of actually doing anything about it. It makes you a hypocrite. You are no better, no more saintly, than those horrible, uncaring meat eaters you are trying to convince. You do nothing but flap your gums about how much you care.

No. If you truly care, you will get up off of your backside, you will walk outside your door, and you will take action. You will visit a slaughterhouse and see, with your own two eyes, what goes on there, not base everything on some doctored video that you found on the internet. You will visit factory farms, local farms, and so called "organic" (hahahahahaha...talk about taken for a ride), farms. You will see how animals are raised from day one to the day they are taken to be sold for meat, with your own two eyes, not what someone tells you how it happens.

You will research. You will find out why things are done a certain way. You will go way back, several decades, to find your answers. You will find out who is benefiting. You will find out why certain processes are done. You will research those processes. You will find out how much damage cows can do to the environment, (oooh no! Conflict of interest; you care about animals and the environment...that's going to be a tough one to get through). You will find out facts. Actual facts, not a wikipedia article, not an opinion piece on youtube. You will then take your cause all the way to Washington, armed with your research and facts. You will show farmers, ranchers, and the gubmint, how they can save money, if they just did it your way; the way you have discovered after all of your research of actual facts. You will work hard to change the laws. You will fail. You will fail again. You will fail again and again and again. But, because you believe so strongly, you will not give up. You will continue to research, and find facts, and draw up plans in order to offer more affordable, cost effective solutions that will bring the farmers and ranchers good money, bring the government money, and make the general population very happy with lower costs. It will be a life long journey, but that's what you do when you truly believe in a cause.

What you do if you are a lazy, smug, arrogant hypocrite? You post links, articles, youtube videos, and commentary as your "proof" that meat eaters are self serving, lacking in compassion, or just "in the dark". And you will be laughed at, like you have been on this thread. You'll go to your kitchen and chug down yet another juice that you made out of 50,000 vegetables because you have to eat so many just to get enough calories for the day in your juice fast, and stand there thinking, 'What do they know? They don't care about living creatures. I don't buy meat, that means that I don't hurt any animals.'

And you will be wrong because if you are in a city, you have hurt animals. If you drive a car, you have hurt animals. If you use electricity, you have hurt animals. If you eat processed foods, if you use light bulbs, if you are on a computer, if you connect to the internet, if you use a phone, if you walk on a sidewalk, if you go to a store, if you walk in to a post office, if you watch t.v., if you wrap a gift, if you do anything that we do on a daily basis, you have hurt animals in the same way that any of us meat eaters have hurt animals.

That fall from that Ivory tower is a long one...make sure you have a pillow. I hear down feathers are quite nice.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,907,556 times
The OP is proof that "you are what you eat". More veggies?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,073,067 times
I don't care if a pig had a PHD..... I'd still eat it.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,352,469 times
I am a proud member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants. We get together on weekends and throw tomato juice at vegetarians.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm trying to decipher what this thread is about.

Is the op advocating that we eat special needs children?
It's a bad analogy for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Skinning is a nasty business. I'm also not going to use bladders for hauling water. Guts and everything that isn't steak or roast or burger is discarded.

I have seen hunters simply take the hind quarters and roast off of a deer and leave everything from there up to the head. I see that as a tremendous waste.

Hunting isn't about being mean to animals. It's population control. My forefathers and everyone else's decided to kill of all natural predators of deer. This had lead to a population higher then was when Columbus landed. To many deer mean disease, starvation, and being undersized.

I hunt because I love nature. Not because I hate it.
I see hunting for food and mass-production kill farms and facilities as two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I eat meat; but I try to buy from local farmers markets and 'humane' butchers (at least they make the claim).

Shooting to kill I can live with; unnecessary torture from an evolved species (us), I cannot.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I just left a group today because of this very type of preaching by vegans. I'm not a vegan, I have no interest in being a vegan, but there were a ton of vegans in this particular group. Every single day they would post yet another YT video that they presented as "fact", (it was actually someone's opinion), on why we shouldn't eat meat, that we are "in the dark", that we "don't really know what goes on in slaughterhouses", that they were "just trying to give us some facts" and "open" our "eyes", that we are "supporting animal abuse"...on and on it went.

You "stop eating meat" types are extremists. You only see factory farms. You don't see local farms, you don't understand hunting at all, you simply do not get it. And the more that you bleat on about "compassion for animals" and how us meat eaters are "supporting animal abuse", the less you are going to be heard.

You, and the idiotic vegans in this particular group, are missing one thing: Your assumptions are completely and totally wrong. You assume that no one thinks about where their meat comes from. You assume that we just blindly shop in the store, completely clueless that meat in packages does not actually grow on trees like that, that we don't understand the concept of a life taken to nourish us, that we are oblivious to any part of the process.

So I will tell you the exact same thing I told them: Posting a video, a link, an article, or even your own opinion about meat eating is non action. It's the self righteous lazy way out of actually doing anything about it. It makes you a hypocrite. You are no better, no more saintly, than those horrible, uncaring meat eaters you are trying to convince. You do nothing but flap your gums about how much you care.

No. If you truly care, you will get up off of your backside, you will walk outside your door, and you will take action. You will visit a slaughterhouse and see, with your own two eyes, what goes on there, not base everything on some doctored video that you found on the internet. You will visit factory farms, local farms, and so called "organic" (hahahahahaha...talk about taken for a ride), farms. You will see how animals are raised from day one to the day they are taken to be sold for meat, with your own two eyes, not what someone tells you how it happens.

You will research. You will find out why things are done a certain way. You will go way back, several decades, to find your answers. You will find out who is benefiting. You will find out why certain processes are done. You will research those processes. You will find out how much damage cows can do to the environment, (oooh no! Conflict of interest; you care about animals and the environment...that's going to be a tough one to get through). You will find out facts. Actual facts, not a wikipedia article, not an opinion piece on youtube. You will then take your cause all the way to Washington, armed with your research and facts. You will show farmers, ranchers, and the gubmint, how they can save money, if they just did it your way; the way you have discovered after all of your research of actual facts. You will work hard to change the laws. You will fail. You will fail again. You will fail again and again and again. But, because you believe so strongly, you will not give up. You will continue to research, and find facts, and draw up plans in order to offer more affordable, cost effective solutions that will bring the farmers and ranchers good money, bring the government money, and make the general population very happy with lower costs. It will be a life long journey, but that's what you do when you truly believe in a cause.

What you do if you are a lazy, smug, arrogant hypocrite? You post links, articles, youtube videos, and commentary as your "proof" that meat eaters are self serving, lacking in compassion, or just "in the dark". And you will be laughed at, like you have been on this thread. You'll go to your kitchen and chug down yet another juice that you made out of 50,000 vegetables because you have to eat so many just to get enough calories for the day in your juice fast, and stand there thinking, 'What do they know? They don't care about living creatures. I don't buy meat, that means that I don't hurt any animals.'

And you will be wrong because if you are in a city, you have hurt animals. If you drive a car, you have hurt animals. If you use electricity, you have hurt animals. If you eat processed foods, if you use light bulbs, if you are on a computer, if you connect to the internet, if you use a phone, if you walk on a sidewalk, if you go to a store, if you walk in to a post office, if you watch t.v., if you wrap a gift, if you do anything that we do on a daily basis, you have hurt animals in the same way that any of us meat eaters have hurt animals.

That fall from that Ivory tower is a long one...make sure you have a pillow. I hear down feathers are quite nice.
I know quite a few Vegans. They are all obsessed with working out and very, very fit. Perhaps I wrongly assumed that they were vegans because they simply believe it to be more healthy?

I don't know but I never saw any horrific videos on their newsfeed - so far.

Quite a rant there.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,819,517 times
Just got home from old homestead in nyc. I didn't see special needs child on the menu, or could have been a tough call btwn that and the 28 ounce medium rare king cut prime rib I just put down. Think I overdid it with the thick slabs of bacon as appetizer though.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 PM

80 posts, read 43,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Just the liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Will you please Silence those Lambs!!!!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,753,059 times
More proof that vegans are the most uptight misanthropic people in the world. Even worse than fundamentalist religious people!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM

30,156 posts, read 23,540,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know quite a few Vegans. They are all obsessed with working out and very, very fit. Perhaps I wrongly assumed that they were vegans because they simply believe it to be more healthy?

I don't know but I never saw any horrific videos on their newsfeed - so far.

Quite a rant there.
I'm not talking about a newsfeed. Regardless, yes it was daily. And they always had to put in their comment about how we meat eaters just didn't know, and we needed to be shown. They loved to say that we were "animal abusers", and that the human body does not need fats. (Idiots.)

For the record, when I lived in Seattle, I heard this stuff constantly when hanging out with people for whatever reason. At that time it was mostly vegetarians, but same old thing. They took every situation and turned it in to their own "holier than thou" platform, where they made long winded speeches about how we were giving in to our "wants". We should only be concerned about our "needs". My favorite speech came from one who was drinking a Rolling Rock and smoking a cigarette while preaching about how we should not be giving to our "wants". Whatever, hypocrite.

Some of them go so far as to tell me that my dogs should not be eating meat. They feed their dog a vegetarian/vegan diet, and I should, as well. If you didn't already think they were off their rocker, that would confirm it.

(Note: I did not intentionally hang out with vegans/vegetarians, they just always seemed to show up. If someone wants to consume 3 tons of veggies a day, I really don't care. I only care that they seem to think that they need to tell me, or anyone else, how to eat.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies