Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Irish: our rep was real BAD back in the day, even worse than "free people of color". Did we get any bennies from the government because our people started out in Ireland? Nope.
I agree that Irish people - and Italians and other non-WASP European ethnics - had their own set of issues as recently as the mid 1960's. JFK's ascendancy to the Presidency was surely as meaningful to many Irish Catholics as Obama's election was to many African-Americans.

Quote:
2014 sees us in the US as doing pretty darn well although southside Boston does or did make me wonder at times. "My people" stepped up and; yes, many of us died on the way up because of fighting and alcohol. Heavy drinking is or was still a big problem even now.

It's called earn respect or be left behind. 1 huge reason that American Blacks did fight and win over Jim Crow about 50 years ago was because people like Dr King did their homework and "told" their people to look and act respectable even when facing down Bull Connor and his dogs; it made Connor look real stupid with TV cameras watching him and helped shift public opinion AGAINST Jim Crow. Tho looking at 2014; the hood rat attitude ain't helping at least inner city Black dudes take care of business like stay in school, talk proper English and so on, because it ain't Ok but playing the fool IS Ok. Sheesh!

Hispanics: ILLEGAL aliens are hurting their rep real bad and I find it stupid that so many Hispanics want amnesty, at least Mexican Americans.
Sadly, there are some that live up (or down, rather) to stereotypes that cause people to assume that "all of them" must be that way. It certainly affects all the groups of people that you mention above. Growing up as a kid in Philly, I used to wonder if every Italian person I met was connected to the mob in some way. By the time I became an adult, I realized that was far from the case. Still, mobster movies and shows remain popular. I admit that I enjoyed "The Sopranos" for the drama but I wonder if some people interpreted the lifestyle as "typical".

Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
There is a very good list of examples of white privilege at this website:

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

Old 02-22-2014, 12:05 AM

510 posts, read 430,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
In fairness the whole "WHITE PRIVILEGE" thing is mostly an academic liberal WASP/jewish female invention.

And really it's all about insecurity and clawing for status within this truly privileged demographic subgroup, ie; Well I hate The Wrong Type of White People(tm) more than you do! So there!'.

When you're a young white female with a rich daddy you have plenty of time to concoct elaborate social conspiracies that glorify your sense of moral superiority.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 AM

510 posts, read 430,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post

Quote:
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
Jesus Spikett hun was this written 20 years ago? As a white person I fail miserably on the very first question here.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I agree that Irish people - and Italians and other non-WASP European ethnics - had their own set of issues as recently as the mid 1960's. JFK's ascendancy to the Presidency was surely as meaningful to many Irish Catholics as Obama's election was to many African-Americans.

Sadly, there are some that live up (or down, rather) to stereotypes that cause people to assume that "all of them" must be that way. It certainly affects all the groups of people that you mention above. Growing up as a kid in Philly, I used to wonder if every Italian person I met was connected to the mob in some way. By the time I became an adult, I realized that was far from the case. Still, mobster movies and shows remain popular. I admit that I enjoyed "The Sopranos" for the drama but I wonder if some people interpreted the lifestyle as "typical".
Agreed,

Sopranos: many people of Italian family were MAD at that TV show. Then those p'd off "Italians" started watching it, yeah I know. Sheesh!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post

What I like most about this article is that it filters out for class etc. as we have discussed here that while lower income/working-class Whites may contend with some economic disadvantages, they may still often ho some social advantages even if they are not aware of it.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Jesus Spikett hun was this written 20 years ago? As a white person I fail miserably on the very first question here.
Of course, there's no adjustment for one's individual circumstances. I can tell you that even here in the very diverse DC area, there are definitely, there are numerous areas where a white person would still part of a distinct
majority.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
In fairness the whole "WHITE PRIVILEGE" thing is mostly an academic liberal WASP/jewish female invention.

And really it's all about insecurity and clawing for status within this truly privileged demographic subgroup, ie; Well I hate The Wrong Type of White People(tm) more than you do! So there!'.

When you're a young white female with a rich daddy you have plenty of time to concoct elaborate social conspiracies that glorify your sense of moral superiority.
Nailed it.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:

R
Did you deduce that from reading the information on the conference website? Or the most recent article link provided whose study appears to have been written by a white female?

I would submit that from an American perspective, white privilege was "invented" sometime after the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock and continued to be legally valid until just under 50 years ago.

As the aforementioned most recent link suggests, it's not just about economic opportunities; it's also about not having to think twice about having a level of comfort or acceptance in different environments.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-22-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How about the White Congressional Caucus?

Because it is redundant since most of Congress are white males anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies