Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,173,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Whites: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?

Just what the hell is "white privilege" anyway? Or what is it supposed to denote so that I know whether the term is a bunch of crap or not.
Its people ashamed of being white.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,926,428 times
It is White folk brave enough to reach out and say clearly...dont judge me on the actions of a minority embarrassment to my race.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,655,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
So why is it ok to call whites wasp but in turn not call you sp*c?

Everyone needs to relax.

Last edited by petch751; 02-15-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,110,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why is it ok to call whites wasp but in turn not call you ****?

Everyone needs to relax.
There is nothing wrong with being White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Some people might make presumptions based on appearance but IMO is a descriptor as much as anything.

On the other hand, whatever "****" was, it must have been offensive enough to be caught by the auto-censor.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,843,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There is nothing wrong with being White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. Some people might make presumptions based on appearance but IMO is a descriptor as much as anything.

On the other hand, whatever "****" was, it must have been offensive enough to be caught by the auto-censor.
Exactly, WASP is simply an acronym.

I don't think you get points for being white when it comes to job hunting. What you do get points for is having friends or relatives in management. As long as society remains somewhat segregated and whites have the majority of managerial positions whites will disproportionately benefit from nepotism and cronyism.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,655,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Exactly, WASP is simply an acronym.

I don't think you get points for being white when it comes to job hunting. What you do get points for is having friends or relatives in management. As long as society remains somewhat segregated and whites have the majority of managerial positions whites will disproportionately benefit from nepotism and cronyism.
White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) is an informal term, sometimes derogatory or disparaging. You know, like Obama supporters and democrats attack rich people and are constantly on the attack against them.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 PM

16,873 posts, read 10,533,371 times
I'm not offended by something that isn't real.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM

285 posts, read 748,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
I see you haven't done your homework. There are A NUMBER of communities and organization created by Asians, for Asians. Which I don't see anything wrong with by the way. I'm not going to get into an argument about which groups of people have suffered more, because it's silly. White people have all the racial organizations that Blacks (Or any other ethnic group of people) have and MORE. Just because it's not called White this or White that doesn't mean it's not created purposefully to be a White organization, you don't have to look very hard to find them.

Well, please tell just ONE legal organization created to be a white organization, who can exclude people of other races, like the Congressional black caucus did in the past and does in the present.[/b][/color]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM

774 posts, read 1,162,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
For as badly as life has treated me, I have a hard time with the concept of "white privilege".
Maybe this will help you understand the concept:

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh

17 Deplorable Examples Of White Privilege

Where White Privilege Came From

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,681,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why is it ok to call whites wasp but in turn not call you sp*c?

Everyone needs to relax.
Why would you want to call someone a sp*c or even a n*gger? There should be no lamenting over that. If a white person is determined to use those two offensive words, then that is probably their subtle racist tendencies trying to break out. And not to mention, that they're probably a sociopath as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies