Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?
Yes 40 44.44%
No 50 55.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM

285 posts, read 749,841 times

Advertisements

First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
I'm never offended by anything. Nobody has that much power over me. N-O-B-O-D-Y.

To each his own.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM

96 posts, read 135,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
First, I'm not a tea party wasp or member of a far right party in fact I'm Spanish.
A few days ago I found that there's an anual conference called the white privilege conference

White Privilege Conference

I don't know why did they choose that name... what do they try to say? That white population has a priveleged status?

What would they think if a conference called the black ( hispanic, whatever) privilege conference existed?
Do they really think that white people have more social privilege than other racial- ethnical groups?...
Is there any kind of quota at universities for white people, as there is for some racial group?
Should we consider then "affirmative action" policy a kind of discrimination against white people?
I think white population has no more privileges, or even less than the rest of the population.

So I consider that name offensive and xenophobic.

what do you think?
I'm not white but will weigh in on this discussion. While I don't believe affirmative action is perfect, I do believe that it's a necessary evil. It prevents the majority from disciminating against minorities even more than they already do.

As far as white privilege, it absolutely exists. It's not as prevalant in entry and mid level jobs, but the hire you climb the corporate ladder, the more racial discrimination subtly rears it's ugly head.

On every social, political, economical, and educational level whites are given an unfair advantage. They don't have to label their meetings White this or that...All they have to do is live in White America and it's said loud and clear, not in so many words, but it's loud and clear.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Whites: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?

Just what the hell is "white privilege" anyway? Or what is it supposed to denote so that I know whether the term is a bunch of crap or not.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMovingVerySoon View Post
I'm not white but will weigh in on this discussion. While I don't believe affirmative action is perfect, I do believe that it's a necessary evil. It prevents the majority from disciminating against minorities even more than they already do.

As far as white privilege, it absolutely exists. It's not as prevalant in entry and mid level jobs, but the hire you climb the corporate ladder, the more racial discrimination subtly rears it's ugly head.

On every social, political, economical, and educational level whites are given an unfair advantage. They don't have to label their meetings White this or that...All they have to do is live in White America and it's said loud and clear, not in so many words, but it's loud and clear.
Thanks for your answer.

When I was in the USA, I couldn't feel the tiniest hint of discrimination towards me and as I said I'm not exactly a WASP...

Maybe you think there's discrimination against some minorities, but I think those cases a rare, most people don't care about that, but you have that feeling because all that crap propaganda that the mass medias spread. Don't believe it, and do not feel inferior (or superior) to anyone.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Whites: Do you think white privilege conference name is offensive?

Just what the hell is "white privilege" anyway? Or what is it supposed to denote so that I know whether the term is a bunch of crap or not.
Good question. Ask them White Privilege Conference.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
Thanks for your answer.

When I was in the USA, I couldn't feel the tiniest hint of discrimination towards me and as I said I'm not exactly a WASP...

Maybe you think there's discrimination against some minorities, but I think those cases a rare, most people don't care about that, but you have that feeling because all that crap propaganda that the mass medias spread. Don't believe it, and do not feel inferior (or superior) to anyone.
I believe it because I've seen it. Trust me I don't feel inferior to anyone ...Or superior to anyone because of their race.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
not that complicated. "white privilege" means that white people have advantages simply by virtue of being white.
doesn't matter whether they want it or not, they have it.
It doesn't mean they're better than anyone else, it means some of society will treat them as if they are better.

for ex, I'm white, I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone based on skin color. But if I am arrested for something, my chances of being beat up by the cops - everything else being equal - are a whole lot less than if I'm non-white.

that's white privilege. It means I have privilege by virtue of living in a society that values white life over black life. it doesn't mean that I want the privilege.

the name of the conference means that the people there will be discussing white privilege and most likely ways to equalize society.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
not that complicated. "white privilege" means that white people have advantages simply by virtue of being white.
doesn't matter whether they want it or not, they have it.
It doesn't mean they're better than anyone else, it means some of society will treat them as if they are better.

for ex, I'm white, I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone based on skin color. But if I am arrested for something, my chances of being beat up by the cops - everything else being equal - are a whole lot less than if I'm non-white.

that's white privilege. It means I have privilege by virtue of living in a society that values white life over black life. it doesn't mean that I want the privilege.

the name of the conference means that the people there will be discussing white privilege and most likely ways to equalize society.
Wow, that was written with admirable clarity and honesty.

Last edited by ImMovingVerySoon; 02-12-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I'm in favor of anything that keeps a bunch of liberals locked up in a room for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies