Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Doubt it if you want. I am an Eagle Scout Dad and I no longer support BSA because of their caving in to perversity.
Well as a life scout, order of the arrow recipiant, blah blah blah, we were taught to accept all individuals for who they are and not hate..

I dont know what troop you belonged to but did you forget about the parts of the scout oath involving
courteous, kind, etc?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Here are the real reasons: American boys nowadays are too sissified to join the Boy Scouts. They might get a boo boo or get an ant bite when hiking around in the woods, or they might get hot without air conditioning or cut their fingers with a pocket knife. Helicopter parents are responsible for this. Then there is the fact that so many kids would rather play with their handheld electronic devices than do anything else during their free time.
I have to agree. I find it sad.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I have to agree. I find it sad.
I agree too. Kids today are wimps, and it is not sexuality. They have no strength physically and are timid. We were too poor to get into boy scouts and I did not even know what gay was when I was a kid anyway, but I wanted to be a boy scout, camp in the woods, fish etc. I instead went to the library and got books on scouting and taught myself the things they were being taught. I made sure I learned camping skills, woodsmen skills, orienteering, the stars, animal tracks and even made a bow and arrows, rough but they worked. I even helped little old ladies cross the street and spent one year as a crossing guard in elementary school. I still get a thrill from doing a good deed, paying it forward so to speak. The boys scouts has been losing its ranks because kids today want things easy, like a ride to school when school is only a mile away, or using calculators instead of their brains. My Mom did not molly coddle us kids or baby us, not even my sister, kids today are pampered and over indulged, I doubt half could even finish reading a 200 page book, least wise a novel.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Here are the real reasons: American boys nowadays are too sissified to join the Boy Scouts. They might get a boo boo or get an ant bite when hiking around in the woods, or they might get hot without air conditioning or cut their fingers with a pocket knife. Helicopter parents are responsible for this. Then there is the fact that so many kids would rather play with their handheld electronic devices than do anything else during their free time.
Yup. Or, as DH refers to it, the wussification (except it doesn't begin with a "w") of society.

In addition, I read recently that an Eagle Scout is now attempting to overturn their ban on gay scout leaders. That didn't take long.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Just can't stay on topic. This thread was about the BSA and dwindling membership. It was not about pedophiles nor was it about the Catholic church no matter how much some would like it to be.

closed
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies