Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times

Advertisements

I forgot to buy extra D batteries. We'll manage here. But the south rarely gets storms like this. I'm not surprised that they are having a hard time.

And prepared or not, power failures are a b*tch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So watching the news, and reading other online forums I hear about "atlantartica" and things of that nature.

Why do people expect sympathy for power outages from a storm thats seen 3 and 4 days out? Floridians just roll with a Hurricane, and prepare for it ahead of time. And heat can be worse to deal with then the cold.

Why didn't people buy generators? Why didn't people buy alternative heat sources that don't run on electricity? Wal-Mart has Kerosene heaters right now, with a 5 gallon container for kerosene right next to them.

I don't understand why people expect sympathy when they were never prepared. Earthquakes, Volcanos, meteor impacts, other things of rarity, you've got my full attention. But winter weather in Georgia and South Carolina is not a new phenomena. It happens about once every two or three years. If you aren't prepared, its your own fault.

So why don't people prepare for things they know are coming? Why should the federal government be called upon to help with this kind of weather event?

I don't get it either. People seem to have this misconception that it doesn't snow in Atlanta. From what I've seen (and I am a weather freak so I tend to follow it more) Atlanta gets some snow every year, so you'd think they would be more prepared. Christ it has been known for measurable snow to fall as far south as the Florida panhandle! Being from Ohio, that would be a sight. I mean, I've been to Florida in the winter around Christmas time, and it was cold during the a portion of the two weeks that we were there, but it didn't snow.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
So watching the news, and reading other online forums I hear about "atlantartica" and things of that nature.

Why do people expect sympathy for power outages from a storm thats seen 3 and 4 days out? Floridians just roll with a Hurricane, and prepare for it ahead of time. And heat can be worse to deal with then the cold.

Why didn't people buy generators? Why didn't people buy alternative heat sources that don't run on electricity? Wal-Mart has Kerosene heaters right now, with a 5 gallon container for kerosene right next to them.

I don't understand why people expect sympathy when they were never prepared. Earthquakes, Volcanos, meteor impacts, other things of rarity, you've got my full attention. But winter weather in Georgia and South Carolina is not a new phenomena. It happens about once every two or three years. If you aren't prepared, its your own fault.

So why don't people prepare for things they know are coming? Why should the federal government be called upon to help with this kind of weather event?
What gets me even more is when people expect FEMA funding to repair their house when they built it right on a sandbar and the ocean swept it away in a hurricane. AKA half the city of Miami.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Because Florida or Louisiana should expect to be hit from hurricanes from time to time. Places like Atlanta rarely get snow on this level. Generators are expensive (I live in New Orleans and why if there is any sort of hurricane coming, even a weak one I leave).

We help each other (and the government is representative of us) because we help our fellow Americans.
Atlanta gets snow more often than FL or LA gets hit by a hurricane. Sure, probably not this much typically, but it does snow in Atlanta generally once or more every year.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
What gets me even more is when people expect FEMA funding to repair their house when they built it right on a sandbar and the ocean swept it away in a hurricane. AKA half the city of Miami.
I agree. Generally though, those folks are either with a large corporation or they have quite a bit of money to rebuild out there if they'd like.

Many live in Florida, but they build low lying cinder block houses. Water floods, washes out, and its gone. Put up some new drywall, and you're done

Old 02-13-2014, 01:08 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
We recently had several inches of snow, and several days with high temperatures that were below zero, and overnight lows that were WAY below zero.
Other than complaints about city streets that weren't plowed, most people just dealt with it and kept living their lives. The schools didn't even close!
The national news media didn't even cover our winter storms.
I spent a winter in Memphis many years ago. It snowed 2 to 4 inches once, and the entire area was paralyzed! They simply couldn't cope with it!
50+ years later, they apparently still can't!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Per the title question - because slaves demand protection in exchange for their freedom? And nothing defines slavery better than being totally dependent on someone else for your very survival.

If you need the local, state or federal government to help you deal with 4" of snow, you belong to government body and soul, with not even an iota of freedom. You're property at that point, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I forgot to buy extra D batteries. We'll manage here. But the south rarely gets storms like this. I'm not surprised that they are having a hard time.

And prepared or not, power failures are a b*tch.
rubbish, power outages are a minor inconvenience. i have worked in three different national parks over the years, and each one had power outages during the season. and each time i coped quite well enough to do my job, part of which was to prepare everything for the next shift. it took a little longer with computers being down, but i got everything handled.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:

I agree with you, but how does one prepare for meteor impacts, bubble wrap the house?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:

Who's bitching, and how do you know people are not prepared? The stores are out of basic supplies and generators, so I think that proves you are in fact blowing smoke. People here have quite a bit of experience dealing with adverse weather patterns, and most utilities are underground because of averse weather. It may snow a bit every year, as in a dusting that melts overnight, but in the 8 years I have lived here, this is only the second time we have had severe icing and power outages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies