Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

I'm not a behavioral scientist or anthropologist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I choose to believe God created gays, therefore anyone who rejects gays as a mistake is going against God, thus not very Christian.

Have fun with that :-)

Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I haven't the slightest idea, since I'm not gay.

The gay people I know say that they've always felt "different" even when they were young. As they grew older and got to know themselves better, they realized that they were gay. On this topic, I'm interested in reading the perspective and insights that gay people can share, so I can learn more.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Gay people are born this way unfortunately not enough research is out there to figure out how to cure this condition.

I don't think anybody wants to be born differently this way because our specie is not designed to be this way.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Original sin is one of the doctrines of Christianity: Original sin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----------------

I don't think the link between homosexuality and pedophilia should be dismissed. There may not be any scientific link between a person being born gay and them afterward becoming a pedophile. However, there have been many cases of victims of homosexual pedophiles going on to become homosexual pedophiles themselves. This is generally not the case with victims of heterosexual pedophiles. So that could posssibly indicate some link.

Disclaimer: I'm am not an expert, so all this is open to debate. Just want to point out a different perspective.
Oh, really, it's all open to debate and you're just going to throw out an inflammatory supposition that has no grounding in reality? Do you have ANY kind of scientific research that would back up what I have highlighted or are you just spewing "theories"?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
...certainly people can 'learn to be gay' by their upbringing and nurture. I have two young children and believe children are very infulenced by their parents and this nurture can affect them.
Wrong. Your being a parent doesn't make you an expert on sexuality to a point you can claim something to be "certain".

Since this is now my fourth post in the thread without offering a point of view, I'll rectify that. I firmly believe people are "born" gay not in a sense that they knew from the moment they can remember themselves that they had an attraction to the same sex, but that once attraction formed in their minds (for some it starts as late as puberty, some get crushes in kindergarten - now, THAT, I believe, can be influenced by their upbringing), they knew if it was girls, boys or both. Juxtaposing homosexuality and pedophilia is the device of those who have run out of arguments and, instead of looking at an issue from a rational standpoint, choose to inflame the discussion. There has been established no credible link between homosexuality and pedophilia, so if nobody would think to say "well, if heterosexuality is normal, why isn't being attracted to kids?", this same argument should never fly with homosexuality, either.

At no point in time did I ever face myself with a choice of being gay or straight - it just never occurred to me. Girls are so much better looking than us dudes - my opinion, anyways. All those geniuses that claim that being gay is somehow "en vogue" and "trendy" and therefore people can "learn it" need to remove themselves from the gene pool or, at the very least, wear a Bill Engvall-designed "I'm stupid!" sign on their forehead 24/7 so as not to defy the freedom of speech we so enjoy in this country, but also to let people know that their judgment on most matters should at least be questioned.

On that matter, I am deeply saddened by what is going on in my Motherland (Russia), where you can now be brought to trial for "gay propaganda" simply by explaining to a minor that homosexual relations exist. I guess the country has run out of things to be afraid of that they have to invent new Boogie Men. I have never heard of gay people recruiting people into their ranks. Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand...

Last edited by highlanderfil; 02-14-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
I've said it before, but I'll say it again:

When somebody starts spouting off about gays "choosing" to be gay, ask them when they chose to be straight. This will usually result in complete systems crash in the narrow-minded person, followed by failure to answer the question, with half-baked responses such as "Um... the first girl I had a crush on was..." That's nice, but when did you CHOOSE to be interested in people of the opposite sex vs. those of the same sex?

Science has already proven that it's not a choice, and logic would back this up. Nobody is going to "choose" to be gay because it comes with the awesome benefits of: vastly fewer romantic partners, hatred and bigotry, inability to have children naturally, and (at least for gay men) a higher chance of diseases. Yeah... people are going to choose that...

Of course, in certain loony parts of the world, this nation included, the assumption is that people do make this choice: the good people who live in fear of Sky Father will choose to be straight, while the bad people will be seduced by talking snakes reading the works of Marx and will become gay... or some drek that defies all common sense and science.

I still don't understand what difference it makes: sexual orientation is not contagious, gay marriage being legalized doesn't force anyone into a gay marriage, and if the whole reason to ban it is "ewww... it's gross!" than that means basically everyone who's not young and hot would be banned from romantic relationships. Who cares what gay people do - it only affects them anyway.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Considering that many gays and lesbians are discriminated against in general society (including being jailed in a few countries), who in their right mind would decide to become gay if it were indeed a choice?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM

442 posts, read 588,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Why does it really matter? If a person is gay, they are. How they got that way is really not important is it?
I agree. Who cares who they are attracted to? I could care less if someone is attracted to the opposite sex, same sex, animals, kids, dead people, makes no difference.
Attraction / proclivities never hurt anyone in and of themselves. Wherever you fit in life, you are no better than anyone else.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
My boyfriend was kicked out of the house by his parents when he was 15. Try to take a wild guess why. Nowadays, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night finding him crying in his sleep. Apparently, christians don't realize what kind of psychological impact it would have for kicking their kids into the street. It's like love thy neighbor unless he's gay.

If there's one thing I've picked up in my 30 years of life, it's that these days political correctness is everything. People will not come right out and say they hate **** or whatever. Well, most people anyway. But bigots will find out other ways to express their hate. Asking whether being gay is a choice or not is one of these ways. It opens up a pathway to an excuse to oppose. Another one is bringing up pedophilia. Again, 10 out of 10 times when people talk about homosexuality, pedophilia will get brought up.

Try to think of it this way...

I have a question. Are christians naturally evil or is this just a modern phenomenon? I'm just asking a question. Oh yeah, and did you guys hear how priests raped all those boys and girls, and those christians covered up the whole thing over decades? Those christians sure know how to do business...

If I start a thread about the topic in the previous paragraph, you would have to be an idiot to not realize it's my bigotry against christians coming out.

I'm probably going to get a warning or suspensions for writing that paragraph above. And yet people's passive aggressiveness against gay people get put on the internet all the time without anyone even giving it a second thought.
[MOD CUT/off topic]
I am sorry that happened to your boyfriend, that is not scriptural, just so you know. I am glad you support him. People cannot help who they are attracted to, and it shouldn't matter. Given their views, it wasn't wise to disclose such a private matter to them anyhow imho.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-14-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Considering that many gays and lesbians are discriminated against in general society (including being jailed in a few countries), who in their right mind would decide to become gay if it were indeed a choice?
Who discriminates against them? And how would these folks know their private proclivities anyhow? We have equal rights in this country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies