Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:25 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Prosperity works too, as does an effective social safety net. No one carries guns here, very few people in Calgary even own handguns and they're not to be kept readily available should one own one. They're hobby equipment. Crime here is nothing compared to a comparable American city. We must be doing something right.
I would agree with you if that were the circumstance here but it's not. There's a thug culture here and sometimes an act as simple as a trip to the store can suddenly become a struggle between life and death. The police are ineffective at preventing crime so it's up to us to defend ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
An excellent decision. I actually hope this goes to the Supreme Court because I think they will affirm. People in states like NY, NJ and IL need someone to protect their constitutional rights because the state legislatures sure as heck have not done so. Violent crime is becoming out of control in NJ with a huge number of violent car jackings. Criminals know people can't defend themselves and the penalties from violent crime are a joke. It's worth it for the criminals at this point. It still amazes me that the "right to privacy" which is not even specifically in the constitution allows you to suck the brain out of a fetus but the government can still deny a law abiding citizen the right to bear arms - a right specifically provided for in the black letter law of the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies