Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,447,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Allowing gay marriage doesn't change the meaning of a straight marriage. That is just silly to think that it does.
marriage is a union between a man and woman.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,034,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
But proponents of gay marriage don't frame it that way. They frame by saying that "2 consenting adults" is the inherently correct definition of marriage and that we've been disenfranchising homosexuals by using a fake definition for thousands of years. Which is silly, but the propaganda worked. Everyone is now convinced that they need to support redefining marriage if they wanted to be on the morally correct side of some new civil rights movement.

The definition "2 consenting adults" is one that people pulled out of their ass.

The definition "1 male and 1 female" is also stupid because the Religious Right says it comes the Bible, which it doesn't.

I'm not sure which side of this debate is stupider in their arguments, but I'm especially annoyed by the pro-gay-marriage side's insistence that the other side is denying them right that they've always deserved.
They are attempting to deny that right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Not so much anymore. That's changing. For the better I might add.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,721,919 times
Quote:
Says who?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,028,156 times
Quote:
For you maybe, for my marriage it is between a man and a woman, for a couple friends of ours who are getting married this summer, marriage will be a union between a woman and a woman for them. So please explain to me how their marriage has any effect on your marriage?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,457,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For you maybe, for my marriage it is between a man and a woman, for a couple friends of ours who are getting married this summer, marriage will be a union between a woman and a woman for them. So please explain to me how their marriage has any effect on your marriage?
I went to four weddings in the last five years, a straight wedding, my wedding, a gay couple last summer and a lesbian couple last summer. All were consenting adults that wanted to make a long term legitimate commitment. I took photos of the two wedding last summer and for the straight wedding five years ago, they are were remarkably alike. Mine was in a courthouse. I do not see how gays getting married is going to redefine the marriages of straight couples one bit and have seen zero in the way of evidence that it would.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,915,005 times
If Adam Carrola had a clue as to the reality of the history of child rearing he would know the "mommy"+"daddy" equation is a recent model.

For EONS in natural human history, Mommy/daddy relationships did not exist. That is right kids...did not even ******* exist.

Why am I even arguing with Adam Carrola...

Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,153,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
I guess our society is redefining marriage. Somehow the proponents of gay marriage have convinced us that we're "no longer restricting gays from marrying" and we're "extending a right to a group that was previously denied it" and "recognizing all loving relationships" and whatever. Such loaded terms. Let's admit that defining marriage as "union of 2 consenting adults" is just as arbitrary as "union of 2 consenting adults, 1 of them male and the other female." After all, if being more inclusive is always better, than we should change it to "union of N consenting adults" or "union of N consenting sentient beings." After all, why are we denying dolphins the right to marry humans? Dolphins are self-aware and can certainly have loving relationships with their human trainers.

Don't even get me started on gay adoption lol. Adam Carolla explained my views perfectly:

Adam Carolla on Gay Parents vs Straight Parents - YouTube
Who cares.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,216,550 times
I'm still trying to figure out why I should care what some comedian says about gay marriage?

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that he was a contestant on Dancing With the Stars, I wouldn't even know who he was.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,028,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why I should care what some comedian says about gay marriage?

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that he was a contestant on Dancing With the Stars, I wouldn't even know who he was.
Oh yeah, Adam Corolla is a total idiot, it is funny when people take what he says is some all important message.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,203,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Says who?
Says the institution that has excluded homosexuals since.... forever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies